Pro 196 doesn't receive p25 audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

grovejwjr3018

Really frustrated trying to program P25. When I analyze the system I can hear the control channel. I get no audio from any of the programmed talk groups. This is the same situation across three different P25 systems programmed. All are Phase I systems. I tried programming separate channels from the RR database as P25 with auto detection and still get nothing. Any ideas what I am doing wrong? I can't find another forum that addresses this issue.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Equally as important - what software are you using, or are you programming by hand? And are you using a PRO-96 (an easy typo from '196') or a 197 (the answers will be very different, depending on what radio you are using).

How well are you receiving these 3 systems? If they aren't particularly strong, a better antenna is a starting point (most antennas that come with scanners - popularly called 'duckies' - aren't worth spit) even if your programming is spot-on

Not knowing precisely what scanner you have, I'll include these articles from our wiki (all links are blue) as starting points....

Getting Started with your PRO-96 or PRO-2096 - The RadioReference Wiki

Getting Started with your GRE/RS Object Oriented Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

grovejwjr3018

Have no idea why I typed Pro 196 it is a PRO 651. Too many web searches for answers. I am using the software off of RR to program the scanner. All of my 150-400 mhz channels and EDACS systems are working fine. I am receiving the P25 control channel signals well....75-90%. I have even driven within 1/4 mile of one of the sites. I am also using a high end external antenna on my car.

The P25 systems I am trying to listen to while traveling there are St Johns County FL and Jacksonville City FD. I also sometimes travel into SE GA an listen to the SEGARRNS system which is full P25.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Have you imported the talk groups also.
JACKSONVILLE SHERIFF'S OFFICE Talkgroups UNDER MODE (E MEANS ENCRYPTED)

DEC HEX Mode Alpha Tag Description Tag
1145 479 E JSO Z-1 DISP JSO ZONE-1 DISPATCH Law Dispatch
1147 47b E JSO Z-2 DISP JSO ZONE-2 DISPATCH Law Dispatch
1149 47d E JSO Z-3 DISP JSO ZONE-3 DISPATCH Law Dispatch
1151 47f E JSO Z-4 DISP JSO ZONE-4 DISPATCH Law Dispatch
1153 481 E JSO Z-5 DISP JSO ZONE-5 DISPATCH Law Dispatch
1155 483 E JSO Z-6 DISP JSO ZONE-6 DISPATCH Law Dispatch

grovejwjr3018

Today I drove to two different sites. Within 1/4 mile to 3 miles from the St Johns County site I can get talk groups and audio....two or three talk groups from Fire and EMS were active while an LE channel was encrypted. If I move any further then 3 miles from the two sites I have identified I get no audio....the scanner just keeps scanning. The screen does show that the scanner is at least hitting the control channel as the T lights up and I see one or two bars.

I an aware of the encrypted channels as I have had scanners for the past 15 plus years. The primary channels I have plugged in for JAX is fire and EMS

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
You have a bad antenna, the site has no range, or you have a bad receiver. The attenuator is not turned on is it? Did you buy this scanner new or from some one other than Radio Shack.

Status
Not open for further replies.