Newbie Needs Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

larzee1

Premium Subscriber
I don't know if this is the right spot for this question but here it goes. Many years ago I owned a scanner just turned it on and there you go. Now it seems to be a different story.
I bought a Uniden BCD325P2 handheld scanner and after reading the manual gave up. Then I found FreeScan and setup the scanner which worked out well. My problem is I see it scanning through the channels and I know that there should be transmissions coming out but it is silent.Once in awhile I get a transmission from our First Aid doing a hourly check but thats it. I downloaded the info from RadioReference.com right into FreeScan and then dowloaded it into the scanner. If I can't get it to scan my only other choice is to send it back and I really don't want to do that since it is a really nice scanner.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I don't know if this is the right spot for this question but here it goes. Many years ago I owned a scanner just turned it on and there you go. Now it seems to be a different story.
I bought a Uniden BCD325P2 handheld scanner and after reading the manual gave up. Then I found FreeScan and setup the scanner which worked out well. My problem is I see it scanning through the channels and I know that there should be transmissions coming out but it is silent.Once in awhile I get a transmission from our First Aid doing a hourly check but thats it. I downloaded the info from RadioReference.com right into FreeScan and then dowloaded it into the scanner. If I can't get it to scan my only other choice is to send it back and I really don't want to do that since it is a really nice scanner.
Welcome to RadioReference.

I suspect that the issue is a setting of some type, that may have been overlooked. Maybe, if you post your FreeSCAN file, someone can take a look and see if something looks incomplete.

The FreeSCAN file itself is not valid for attaching to post, due to the file extension. However, you can remedy that one of two ways. First, you can zip the file with a utility such as WinZip, or the free 7-Zip. The *.zip file extension on the compressed file is valid for attachment.

Or, you can simply rename your file, by adding a valid extension to it. Say your file is named 'myfile.996' (without the quotes). Just rename it myfile.996.txt then attach it to your post. Whoever is going to look at your file simply removes the extension (the txt), and then can access it in FreeSCAN.

larzee1

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your reply Steve. I downloaded the info through FreeScan from RadioReference.com so I think everything should be OK but you never know. I'll send the FreeScan file. I hope the file came out ok

Attachments

• Milltown NJ Only - Copy.996.txt
    9.9 KB · Views: 124

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your reply Steve. I downloaded the info through FreeScan from RadioReference.com so I think everything should be OK but you never know. I'll send the FreeScan file. I hope the file came out ok
Looking at Middlesex County in the database, I see comments that Milltown is on this EDACS system:Middlesex County Trunking System, Middlesex County, New Jersey - Scanner Frequencies

Unfortunately, I note that most of the PD talkgroups are labeled as "D", digital, which for an EDACS system, this means ProVoice, which your 325P2 will not decode. I have added this system to your file, and attached it below. I have left the talkgroups in there, but your scanner will ignore them if ProVoice is in use.

I also see that the county has a new P25 Phase II system, Middlesex County (P25) Trunking System, Middlesex County, New Jersey - Scanner Frequencies

Milltown also has talkgroups on that system. I see also that there is an ongoing thread in the New Jersey forum, about migration from the RDACS system to the new one: http://forums.radioreference.com/ne...-nj-migration-edacs-project-25-phase-2-a.html

I have included that system in the file as well, breaking out the Milltown into a separate group. I also have groups for the other county law enforcement talkgroups, county fire, and some other county agencies.

Save the attached file to your pc, remove the txt file extension, then you'll be able to open it in FreeSCAN. For the talkgroups other than Milltown, you can either delete them, or lock them out if yuo don't want to use them for now.

Last edited:

larzee1

Premium Subscriber
Thanks so much for your quick reply. If I'm correct in understanding your reply that my 325P2 will not receive transmissions from Milltown PD. I have downloaded the file that you sent me. Will I be able to receive Milltown PD transmissions from the file you sent me or should I look for another radio. So far I am not receiving any transmissions. I thought that when I bought this scanner that it pretty much accepted all radio transmissions. If I can't receive Milltown PD signals which Uniden handheld radio will be acceptable.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Thanks so much for your quick reply. If I'm correct in understanding your reply that my 325P2 will not receive transmissions from Milltown PD. I have downloaded the file that you sent me. Will I be able to receive Milltown PD transmissions from the file you sent me or should I look for another radio. So far I am not receiving any transmissions. I thought that when I bought this scanner that it pretty much accepted all radio transmissions. If I can't receive Milltown PD signals which Uniden handheld radio will be acceptable.
You will need a BCD436HP with the ProVoice upgrade to receive ProVoice.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
You would be able to receive Milltown FD, which shows as analog (it has the letter A in the Mode Column). But the PD talkgroups on the EDACS are indicated as D, which would mean ProVoice. If, in fact, ProVoice was not in use, then they would be monitorable, without, as W8RMH noted, using a BCD436HP (or BCD536HP) with the ProVoice upgrade.

However, what I do not know (someone in your area might, or there may be comments in that transition thread I linked) is where Milltown is at on transition to the new P25 system. Their talkgroups on the new system are listed as "T" in the mode. That means P25 Phase II, which your scanner can handle. They are not shown as encrypted, at least not at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.