Buzzing sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHAV8R

A user on this forum has a terrific feed for Concord, NH scanner fans. He moved away so I dug out my Radio Shack handheld and programmed all of the local channels thanks to this website. The police dispatch just buzzes on transmission where as the app I have, 5-0 radio, I could hear police transmissions.

Do I need to input all the 0s after the whole number of a frequency? The fire channels seem to work OK.

Also, I have used hand helds in aviation and in executive protection/security work. Are the redio shack scanner antennae good? My scanner is a pro 404.

THANKS for your help!!!
Steve

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
A user on this forum has a terrific feed for Concord, NH scanner fans. He moved away so I dug out my Radio Shack handheld and programmed all of the local channels thanks to this website. The police dispatch just buzzes on transmission where as the app I have, 5-0 radio, I could hear police transmissions.

Do I need to input all the 0s after the whole number of a frequency? The fire channels seem to work OK.

Also, I have used hand helds in aviation and in executive protection/security work. Are the redio shack scanner antennae good? My scanner is a pro 404.

THANKS for your help!!!
Steve
Welcome to RadioReference.

Looking at Merrimack County in the database, the PD Dispatch channel, as well as their Secondary frequency, are both indicated as being P25 in the mode column. That indicates that they are using digital radios. Not trunked, but conventional. Unfortunately, your Pro-404 is not capable of monitoring digital signals. That's the buzzing noise you hear, the digital noise. The member that was providing an online feed was using a digital scanner to provide the audio that he was streaming online.

I see a few other agencies in your county, including the Sheriff's Office, also using digital. You can identify those by the P25 in the mode column for the frequency. The ones labeled as FM, you would be able to hear; that includes Concord FD. To get the Police Department, you would need to upgrade to a digital scanner, unless someone else, with the correct scanner, picks up the local traffic for a feed.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
This is a non-trunking, 200 channel analog scanner. I do not know what radios are used where you are; plenty of experts here to help with this.

My only point here is that it may not get what you need. That buzzing, from what I've learned here, could be due to a digital signal; again I defer to the experts.

Try the New Hampshire link on RR; they could be very helpful. Greg

N8IAA

THANKS for your help!!!
Steve
Your county and the city of Concord has gone to P-25 for SO and PD. Even the simulcast frequency is P-25, which they usually keep in the clear.
You'll need an older P-25 scanner to hear the SO/PD. 396T/XT, Pro-106, GRE 500, or even a Pro-96.
HTH,
Larry

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Take a look here below. I've always believed that if you are going to sink money into an expensive scanner, or other men's toy, then look ahead to the future and buy one that won't be outdated in a year or two.

With the rise of DMR, Uniden is offering a $50.00 upgrade to make the 436 DMR capable. On the other hand, Whistler has the new TRX-1, which comes with DMR, but the initial cost is more than the Uniden.

I would look around and also rely on the more advanced men and women here to help you out.

I just wanted to put my two cents in; IMHO YMMV

https://www.zipscanners.com/police-...-scanner-radios.html?scanner_shop_by_type=193

N8IAA

Thank you very much. Please recommend a cheap handheld that receives digital signals please.
Steve

Steve, I'm not going to recommend the scanners greggk gave you a linked you. They are over $500. Ham Radio Outlet sells the WS1040 for $250. Great scanner for conventional P-25. I use a Pro-106 myself.
Please don't be persuaded to purchase something you don't want. Send me a PM, and I will be happy to respond:)
Larry

N8IAA

Take a look here below. I've always believed that if you are going to sink money into an expensive scanner, or other men's toy, then look ahead to the future and buy one that won't be outdated in a year or two.

With the rise of DMR, Uniden is offering a $50.00 upgrade to make the 436 DMR capable. On the other hand, Whistler has the new TRX-1, which comes with DMR, but the initial cost is more than the Uniden.

I would look around and also rely on the more advanced men and women here to help you out.

I just wanted to put my two cents in; IMHO YMMV

https://www.zipscanners.com/police-...-scanner-radios.html?scanner_shop_by_type=193

That's 50,000 pennies too much for someone who is looking for an inexpensive scanner.
Larry

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I did not tell him to buy a $500 radio. I was showing him some options.
Steve contact me by PM if you need further help as well. The pro106 does not do phase 2 . Keep that in mind

N8IAA

I did not tell him to buy a $500 radio. I was showing him some options.
Steve contact me by PM if you need further help as well. The pro106 does not do phase 2 . Keep that in mind

Gregg, keep in mind that there are no Phase II systems in his area. It is strictly a few P-25 conventional frequencies.
Larry

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Gregg, keep in mind that there are no Phase II systems in his area. It is strictly a few P-25 conventional frequencies.
Larry

Thanks Larry. You are, of course, correct. I always try to, personally, spend a few extra dollars if there is the prospect of some great addition coming down the road somewhere.

Since this guy may not be sure as to his love of scanners, your suggestion makes more sense than mine. I was driving him towards the newer, but could be undue influence on a new guy. On the brighter side, both my repaired 436 and new TRX-2 arriving tomorrow. Its Christmas.

Last edited:

N8IAA

Thanks Larry. You are, of course, correct. I always try to, personally, spend a few extra dollars if there is the prospect of some great addition coming down the road somewhere.

Since this guy may not be sure as to his love of scanners, your suggestion makes more sense than mine. I was driving him towards the newer, but could be undue influence on a new guy. On the brighter side, both my repaired 436 and new TRX-2 arriving tomorrow. Its Christmas.

Generally, most that have that old of a scanner, are not going to want to spend too much to get just a few frequencies. To some, that much money can be spent better:)
There are some that crave the latest and greatest and learn that it wasn't what it was claimed to be.
I do understand when you are down a radio.
Larry

NHAV8R

Thanks for the replies. I have rechargeable battery pack, ac plug in, and have pic/if cable too so a pro 106 or 96 seems like the way to go in my area:)

NHAV8R

Update:) I bought a Pro 106 and am programming it by watching YouTube videos...
If I manually tune I here scanner... When I activate scanner with 15 programmed channels I get nothing.
SOMEBODY COULD MAKE A FORTUNE IF THEY MADE A SCANNN FOR DUMMIES!!

Please send me links to any helpful material beyond the manual.
Thank you:)
Steve

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Update:) I bought a Pro 106 and am programming it by watching YouTube videos...
If I manually tune I here scanner... When I activate scanner with 15 programmed channels I get nothing.
SOMEBODY COULD MAKE A FORTUNE IF THEY MADE A SCANNN FOR DUMMIES!!

Please send me links to any helpful material beyond the manual.
Thank you:)
Steve
See if either of these help you:
Easier to Read Pro-651/652/106/197 - WS1040/1065 - PSR 500/600 Digital Scanner Manual

Programming Shortcut PSR-500/600 RS Pro-106/197 - The RadioReference Wiki

NHAV8R

Question

How do I know if I am scanning the channels I installed?
It's race weekend up here in NH and there should be tons of chatter?
I hear nothing.....
Thanks,
Steve

AC9BX

How do I know if I am scanning the channels I installed?
It's race weekend up here in NH and there should be tons of chatter?
I hear nothing.....
Thanks,
Steve

A great way to learn and test if you're doing things right is to program in something loud. There's no reason why you'd normally scan NOAA weather radio but you can use it to test. Hit your weather button to listen, find any strong one. Then plug that frequency in TUNE mode. You should hear it as before. Then try programming it as a conventional frequency, assign it to a scan list, and try scanning it. If done right it will stop there. Now you've learned how to program conventional stuff. Once you get that you can start trying out racing stuff, or police or whatever.
Remember, racing signals aren't high power, they only need to cover the track area. So if you're any significant distance away you may not be able to hear them. If you're right near the track you ought to hear plenty.

Using software to program the radio makes it much more convenient. It's not difficult to program but it can be tedious when done manually on the radio. (I own the Pro-197)

Status
Not open for further replies.