Newbie needs help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

encsu

Hi, completely new to the world of 2-way radio and scanner. Hoping to get some help to get started.
I recently came into possession of a couple of Motorola XPR 6550 radios when our workplace shut down. I thought that I would be able to use these as simple walkie-talkie but after much playing still was not able to get them to talk to each other. These radios I guess were programmed to work in our workplace. The question I have is
1. do I have to re-program these in order for them to work as walkie-talkie?
2. If so, what is required?

Any help I can get is much appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
1. It is extremely likely. Most of the time those radios are setup to work with a radio system and not directly with each other. The mode of operation for "walkie-talkie" like operations is known as simplex.

2. It is a lot more involved and costly than one would think and is not as simple as programming the radio. In order to legally operate, one needs to be properly licensed in order to use a majority of frequencies in the air. Given the application you are seeking, you would probably want to look at the Amateur Radio Service. This would let you be able to use a certain range of frequencies given that you follow the correct procedures.

After that, you would need to obtain the Customer Programming Software (CPS) from Motorola. This will likely be several hundred dollars. You might be able to get involved in the amateur radio community and perhaps someone else could help you program it.

DPD1

Really the only thing you could use them for legally, would be GMRS or Ham. You need to take a test to be a ham, and you need a basic license for GMRS. Yes they can be reprogrammed, but honestly... If they're in good shape, you could probably get some decent $ selling them, and just buy something you really want.

Status
Not open for further replies.