different radios that a Scanner cannot locate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

triguy1951

I am using a Uniden Bearcat BC75XLT Scanner. I use it at local Stock Car Racing tracks. It easily locates most racing teams frequencies. It locates the Drivers One Way Radio frequencies. These are located in the 450 to 470 MHz range.

Out of the 4 local tracks that I attend, I am able to locate the frequencies for Race Control also in the 450 to 470 MHz range. However, at 2 other track my Scanner cannot locate Race Control. My question is why can’t the Scanner locate that frequency?

Is it that the Track has different radios that a Scanner cannot locate?

I found a web posting (from 10 years ago) that indicated that one of the tracks had a Race Control frequency at 154.4900-Dpl-031 and 149.4900 DPL tone 031.

I tuned in to both154.4900and 149.4900 and heard nothing. However, I do not know what is meant by -Dpl-031 DPL tone 031, because my User Manual does not explain those terms.

I would appreciate any info you can give me. I am a novice with Scanners and I have no knowledge of Two Way Radios.

Other than that, we have had great fun listening in at the track. It makes it so much more fun to know what going on.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
DPL is a type of signaling that goes along with the voice. As a scanner listener it isn't needed unless you need to identify (and only listen to) a single group of users on the frequency. Each group of users would have a different DPL (or PL code). Only one group of users can talk at a time. Your scanner will hear all users unless you program in the individual DPL code being used. There may be other reason you can't hear conversations at the two tracks; your scanner can't receive the frequencies they are using, they are using digital instead of analog, or you have the wrong frequencies. How is your scanner finding the frequencies; searching, close call, manual entry?
BB

N8IAA

They could be using completely different mode than analog, such as digital. Or, frequencies that the 75 won't capture.
I know that we aren't supposed to tell you to cross post, but if you click on the red and white triangle, and ask the mods to move this post to the Ontario provincial forum for a clearer answer. I'm sure someone knows.
Larry

triguy1951

WAOCBW
Thanks for your reply.

You wrote;
“ your scanner can't receive the frequencies they are using”.
Why would that be?

You wrote;
“they using digital instead of analog”?
My Scanner is Uniden Bearcat BC75XLT. I searched through the manual and I can’t see if it is analog or Digital. Perhaps the Track is using the opposite to what I have.

You wrote; How is your scanner finding the frequencies; searching, close call, manual entry?
When I ran a Search using Service Bank 9 (450-470) I found many active frequencies which included individual race teams and the Drivers One Way, etc.

I did not run the “close call mode”. I thought it to be unnecessary because I located many other frequencies with a normal search (was that a wrong assumption?). Maybe I need to know more on this “close call mode” subject.

I also tried manual entry on the both154.4900and 149.4900 and heard nothing (however that was old info so maybe they don’t broadcast on those frequencies anymore)
John

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried looking them up on the FCC web site and see what frequency they are licensed for? They may be unlicensed and using frequencies that don't match the "step" size of your scanner. They may be using frequencies that don't require a license such as FRS or MURS. I doubt they are using digital as those radio's are a little more expensive. You said you searched the UHF band; did you search the VHF band? They may be "bootlegging" frequencies in the ham bands.
BB

N8IAA

Have you tried looking them up on the FCC web site and see what frequency they are licensed for? They may be unlicensed and using frequencies that don't match the "step" size of your scanner. They may be using frequencies that don't require a license such as FRS or MURS. I doubt they are using digital as those radio's are a little more expensive. You said you searched the UHF band; did you search the VHF band? They may be "bootlegging" frequencies in the ham bands.
BB

He lives in the Canadian province of Ontario. Checking the FCC will not help him find the frequencies he's looking for.
Larry

triguy1951

To WAOCBW

I just realized something. The 2 frequencies both154.4900and 149.4900 are at least a clue. The My Scanner is Uniden Bearcat BC75XLT will run its search through 10 different “preset search ranges. I just checked the upper and lower limits on each “preset search ranges” and somehow the both154.4900and 149.4900 fall outside those parameters. In my prior attempts, I enabled all 10 “preset search ranges” and began the search. However, the search would have been futile. It appears that my approach is wrong. Maybe that why you suggested a “Close Call” search?

So I research the manual and the web on “Close Call” search and learned that that search can run in the background and that search has different parameters. So the next time I am at that track I will enable the “Close Call” search and maybe I will hit on their frequency.

Also since I began this thread I have learned that my unit is an analog. The track may be using a digital and with that, I would not be able to listen. However, I think the “Close Call” search may be yield positive result.

All my successful “hits” were UHF 450 to 470MHz. The 2 frequencies of 154.4900 and 149.4900 are from old publications specific to that track. However, they are in a different range named VHF High. I don’t really understand the differences between VHF and UHF, but I am willing to conduct a search in VHF High range to see if I can find something.

The two tracks that I am referring to is Sunset International Speedway and Sauble Speedway. The Canadian NASCAR Pinty’s series visits Sunset International Speedway only once per year. They are the premier series for stock cars in Canada. I met their expert that sets up all their radios. He gave me their Race Control frequencies and it was a standard UHF (452.2875). However Sunset International Speedway for their regular events use their own radio’s. Every time I ask one of their guys what the frequencies are the say they don’t know (and I believe them). I think someone sets them up for them and just hands the unit to them.

That last email you wrote me set my research in a new direction. Sometime all I need is a hint from the experts to set me off in the right direction. Thank you your response.

triguy1951

To WAOCBW

Last Saturday I visited one the Stock Car Tracks in question. I used the Close “Close Call” search function and within minutes I was able to locate the Tracks “Race Control” frequency. Also, with the function enabled I was prompted with FOUND each time a un-programmed frequency was located (other Race Teams).

Thanks again for your help.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.