Program Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironheadchop

Premium Subscriber
I am new to the digital scanners. I have a BCD325P2. I am wanting to know if anyone could look at the way i have my scanner programmed and see if it looks right or what i could do to make it better. I am in West Virginia. My primary county i listen and live in is Wood County. I am missing the first part of transmissions or whole transmissions period. I have the broadcastify app on my phone open sometimes and transmissions i hear on it never came across my BCD325.
I have attached the freescan and proscan files if anyone could give me a hand.

Attachments

• P25Proscan.txt
    46.2 KB · Views: 65
  • P25FreeScan.zip
    9.7 KB · Views: 34

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Long post alert... It's tough to confirm what your issue is without being there with your scanner. But based on what I see, you have programmed both the WV and OH state systems with over 30 sites between the two systems That's a lot of sites!

Most modern scanners will breeze through conventional channels rather quickly but it scans through trunked sites rather slowly depending on reception. If you can receive the control channel rather well it will take perhaps a second or less to move to the next site. If it can't receive a control channel at all it will be virtually instantaneous. If the scanner is on the fringe or experiencing simulcast distortion it may be several seconds each!

That being said, the more sites you have in the scanner the more it will take to get through them all. Depending on the system setup, a talkgroup will only carry over the sites that have subscriber radios affiliated that site and on said talkgroup. So if you're scanning other sites, you won't hear anything. I recommend only programming the sites you can receive from your primary location. Perhaps put those sites on one quick key for (home) and another for traveling.

The more frequencies you have programmed into each site, the longer the scanner will take to search through them for the control channel. It may help to program only those frequencies designated on the database as "primary or alternate control channels." However, keep in mind that any frequency in a system can be a control channel and the database is not always 100% accurate. So if you leave frequencies off, and the control channel is one of the frequencies you removed, you won't receive anything. So keep that in mind.

As I mentioned earlier reception is a big issue with P25 simulcast systems. Now if these sites you're listening to have multiple towers carrying the same frequencies.... when you can receive more than one tower it will cause distortion on your scanner. This will cause garbled transmissions, missed transmissions, and/or no lock on to a control channel. There is a entire wiki on here dedicated to Simulcast Distortion and you should take a look at it. There's also the possibility of other interference such as nearby transmitters to you.

Evaluating your antenna setup may also help with your issues. An outdoor yagi antenna pointed towards the nearest site you want to receive may eliminate simulcast distortion. Even using "less antenna" may help by eliminating the furthest tower causing the interference. A better gain antenna may also help by pulling in more sites so you aren't missing radio traffic on those particular sites. The problem is that you're trying to listen to a lot on one scanner... different systems, different bands, different modes, you're going to have gains and losses no matter what you chose. So experiment.

rcool101

Feed Provider
Short Post...........A lot of times....missed calls or parts of transmissions are because the user has Close Call on or weather alert on. The scanner will receive one thing at a time. Turn these things off and you will see an improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.