Newby question on scanners/radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchavasu

I am a total ham newby, having just passed my technician test. I bought a Yaesu FT-60r as my first radio and got a few basic local frequencies programmed into it. I programmed in the local fire and sheriff frequencies and am able to hear the traffic. I have not tried to transmit, and do NOT want to do so, but am trying to understand how it all works. What is to keep me from transmitting on their frequencies? I understand from some reading that it simply would not work, but why? I am just the kind of person that likes to know why something does or does not work.

Again, I do not want to transmit on their frequencies, am not trying to modify my radio to do so, and have no intention of it. I understand that would be illegal. I just want to understand the systems and how they work.

Thanks!

JC

Sent from somewhere never to be revealed using an ancient alien device...

nd5y

What is to keep me from transmitting on their frequencies? I understand from some reading that it simply would not work, but why?
Most amateur radios made by Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood, Alinco will not transmit outside of the amateur bands unless you modify them.

This is oversimplfying it but the way it is commonly done nowdays is usually there are jumpers or resistors on some of the microprosessor i/o lines. The radio firmware is programmed to not be able to transmit on certain frequencies when the jumpers or components are present.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
The FT-60 has a wide general coverage receiver, but as nd5y points out, unless you bought the radio second hand from someone who modified it, it will only transmit between 144 - 148 MHz and 430 - 450 MHz. (which are ham frequencies). If the radio is unmodified, you don' have to worry about transmitting on top of commercial services.

This isn't the case with many of the Chinese, Baofeng, Puxing, PooFlung radios. The receive and transmit is wide open.

As an amateur you're expected to know the frequencies you're allowed to operate on and to obey the regulations. This is the reason for the exams.

jchavasu

Ok, so bottom line is the one I have is programmed to not allow transmit on certain frequencies. Frankly I was just curious if it was the radio itself programmed, or some sort of transmit code is used by people lawfully or the frequency.

Thanks for the responses!

Sent from somewhere never to be revealed using an ancient alien device...

Status
Not open for further replies.