Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgm1945

This is my first post here. I'm wanting to get a radio to use as a base station. I live in the Ozark Mountains, and of course I have the the tall trees and hill sides all around me, and may not be able to get out very far. We have a repeater, but it's closed down, so the closet one is about 20 miles away.
I don't know if I need a cb with side band, or a ham radio. I realize I will need a outside antenna with just about any radio I get. Also this is the biggie part, I'm on a low disability pay scale...think of cornbread...ha.
So, any thoughts on this I would appreciate very much. BTW I really enjoy reading on this site....

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Just some questions back at you:
Do you just want to listen? That is scanner? or DX?
What do you want to do with the base station?
Do you want to be able to talk, that is use a transceiver?
What is your intention? That is local conversations or long distance?
Do you want to talk on a ham radio, are you licensed?
If you do not have a ham radio, but want to become licensed do you know of any amateur radio clubs in your area so you can attend and get hands on help?
I think you know CB does not go through repeaters but just throwing that out.
You mention reading on this site, have you read the amateur radio threads?
Although an outside antenna is not necessary for some purposes, they do open up many more options.
And last point, you generally get what you pay for. If amateur radio, the Cheap Chinese Radios, although cheap, do have problems that seem to be much more than the basic 4. Just read all the problems under Budget Radios.
I know nothing about your area, so can't help you on amateur repeaters in the area, either on 6 meters or higher. Even with amateur radio I am sure you do not need repeaters to talk distance but you will require the proper license.
So these are a few initial questions and suggestions.

Banned for encouraging legal and proper use of the crappy band.

jgm1945

Just some questions back at you:
Do you just want to listen? That is scanner? or DX?
What do you want to do with the base station?
Do you want to be able to talk, that is use a transceiver?
What is your intention? That is local conversations or long distance?
Do you want to talk on a ham radio, are you licensed?
If you do not have a ham radio, but want to become licensed do you know of any amateur radio clubs in your area so you can attend and get hands on help?
I think you know CB does not go through repeaters but just throwing that out.
You mention reading on this site, have you read the amateur radio threads?
Although an outside antenna is not necessary for some purposes, they do open up many more options.
And last point, you generally get what you pay for. If amateur radio, the Cheap Chinese Radios, although cheap, do have problems that seem to be much more than the basic 4. Just read all the problems under Budget Radios.
I know nothing about your area, so can't help you on amateur repeaters in the area, either on 6 meters or higher. Even with amateur radio I am sure you do not need repeaters to talk distance but you will require the proper license.
So these are a few initial questions and suggestions.

robertmac....Thanks for your reply back. I was going over some of the tech study questions last night, and I think I will go with ham radio. I like the idea of it being more professional, and clean with no nasty talk.
I'm seem the little icom 2mm radios, but with the repeater being closed here, the hills I live in here in the Ozarks in Cherokee Village, Ar. I think the closest repeater is 20+ miles away I wouldn't think make it out that far over these hills?
I want to be able to talk to folks, but I don't have get out to far, just 20 miles or so would ok. There was I think a 2mm club here some years back, but they disband for like of interest I think. I know where a ham guy lives close to me, I will go talk to him and get some info. on the area about radio traffic in this area.
I live in north central Ar. in sharp county if that helps you get an idea of where I'm at, just south of Hardy about a mile on the Spring River.
Thanks again for your help....

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Sorry I'm not familiar with your area. My advise is leave the Chinese radios alone for now. Icom, Yaesu do make some good reasonably prices 2 m radios that have 50 watts that should cover most of your area. 65 watts or 75 watts do not really add much distance, but as they are reasonably prices also, they are a good possibility. But best bet is to talk to a ham club in your area to see what others are using. I thought I could get by with a HT but no, one does need a higher powered radio to not peeve off people with being in and out of the repeater, or not being heard on simplex.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
Twenty miles is not very far for Amateur radio repeaters. You may want to check whats around you. just google 'repeaters in ...' and go from there. A simple mobile (or mobile set up as a base) will reliably reach out to your radio horizon. If you have big hills around, that is quite likely where the repeaters are (mountains are better than towers-they last forever and don't take as much maintenance). Often a repeater on a tall site will cover a large area. Many of the online repeater directories display the 'machines' on a map. Or see if there is a local club to help you get started -ham radio has a tradition of helping newcomers.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.