RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > New User / Getting Started Forum

New User / Getting Started Forum - The place for new users to discuss how to get started, and generally feel safe from the rest of the rabid technical community. If you just got your first scanner, this forum is for you. Please note: Posts are only moved from this forum by OP's request only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2017, 2:41 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

One thing to be aware of with a really long wire antenna, is the tendency to overload portable shortwave receivers. Simply put, there's too much signal for the radio to efficiently handle. The result is phantom signals from more powerful broadcasters appearing as ghostly echos throughout the shortwave bands. I experienced this many years ago when I used my Sony ICF-2010, an excellent portable in it's day, with an outdoor long wire antenna. That's why I suggest limiting the wire length at this point. Also, if erecting a horizontally-mounted outdoor antenna yields too much interference, you may try reorienting the antenna in a different direction, if you can.
Sponsored links
Old 09-19-2017, 4:14 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
I will try the wire to the antenna next.
NO! There is a very sensitive transistor at the base of the whip antenna which you can pop quite easily with too much wire joined to it - the radio will then be totally deaf to all shortwave transmissions.

Use the proper SW antenna connection every time. I'm surprised you didn't get a wire antenna with the correct plug on it when you bought the radio.
Old 09-19-2017, 5:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoco View Post
NO! There is a very sensitive transistor at the base of the whip antenna which you can pop quite easily with too much wire joined to it - the radio will then be totally deaf to all shortwave transmissions.

Use the proper SW antenna connection every time. I'm surprised you didn't get a wire antenna with the correct plug on it when you bought the radio.
This model radio does not have an external antenna jack. The only way to connect a longer wire antenna to it is by attaching it to the built-in telescoping whip antenna. Something like the following Sangean ANT-60 portable roll-up shortwave antenna would work.
https://www.universal-radio.com/cata..._ant/3184.html
https://www.amazon.com/Sangean-ANT-6.../dp/B000023VW2

Last edited by SteveSimpkin; 09-19-2017 at 5:31 PM.. Reason: Added a second link to Amazon
Old 09-19-2017, 5:35 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Here is a link to the User's Guide for this AM/FM/SW Portable radio (Catalog #: 2000658):
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/14...78191407432288
Old 09-19-2017, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSimpkin View Post
This model radio does not have a decimal point key. Because of that you have to enter a 0 as the first digit for any frequency you enter that is under 10 MHz. You also have to press the ENTER key before and after the frequency.

Try the following key sequence to tune to 7.445 MHz. The first 0 is important since this frequency is under 10MHz:

ENTER 0 7 4 4 5 ENTER
Got it and entered it right. Still nothing to hear there but I got that entered.
Sponsored links
Old 09-19-2017, 8:17 PM

I finally heard something, y'all! Put the wire on the antenna and got frequency 5040 Banda Tropical out of Cuba and I could hear talking and music. It wasn't super clear but it was people and sounds! Yay!!
Old 09-19-2017, 8:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Perfect!
Old 09-19-2017, 8:57 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundogkim View Post
I finally heard something, y'all! Put the wire on the antenna and got frequency 5040 Banda Tropical out of Cuba and I could hear talking and music. It wasn't super clear but it was people and sounds! Yay!!
And so it begins...
Old 09-19-2017, 11:27 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

...and there's no antidote once you've been bitten!
Old 09-20-2017, 5:58 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Glad you got a signal. Now get a shortwave schedule, and see what else you can tune in.

Sent via Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2017, 4:16 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Some schedules are too complicated, some don't update frequently enough, some are, well.....

Here's the one I recommend and use all the time....

Go to:

www.eibispace.de

and download the text file on the right hand side under "Last update" - you will see that it's dated 16th September. Now you can just use this text file on it's own, but much better if you drop down the page a bit and download "eibiview.zip" . Extract this file to any where you like, then make a shortcut to it from the file "eibiview30.exe" to your desktop or wherever. Copy the text file that you downloaded above into the Eibiview30 folder.

Now if you click on the shortcut you will get a blurb screen which you just click on 'accept' then you will be given a wonderful world map and the first alphabetical group of stations under the "Adventist World Radio" group. Double click on the blue name at the top of the screen and a drop-down menu appears - now you can play as much as you like. Updates are automatic if you are online.
Old 09-20-2017, 4:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Glad to hear you got something. Keep trying and the logbook will fill up quickly...

Have fun
Old 09-20-2017, 5:41 PM

My friend who bought me this one may have one that also has a dial - perhaps it'll work better. I can hear a tiny bit out of the BBC but not enough - Cuba at 5040 has been the strongest and even it is weak but it's something. You all are awesome - I enjoy every reply and appreciate it.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:28 AM

Default Got a New One

Hi everyone, long time no talk - mostly because I could not really get any reception from what I had. A friend of mine gave me a radio that his father owned. It's a Grundig Classic 960. No idea if it's original or a reproduction but that's not important. What is important is that it works. As soon as I turned it on and dialed around I immediately started getting clear conversations, etc. This is without the antenna he's made me which he forgot to bring. I'm more than thrilled and looking forward to playing with it more. I've read reviews that it's not that great of a radio but I could care less simply because the darn thing works.

Last edited by sundogkim; 11-14-2017 at 12:29 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 11-14-2017, 1:54 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Well done - now you have been really bitten! What you have now is usually called an 'analog' radio as distinct from your 'digital' one before - now you can just twiddle the knob and find stations without actually knowing the frequency first - now you can have fun!
Old 11-14-2017, 5:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Uh oh-already got another radio-stay away from catalogs and websites of suppliers of shortwave equipment and antennas- the equipment somehow gets attached to you and follows you home -then you wind up with multiple receivers and antennas all over the back yard-been happening to me since the late 70's

Yes a tuning knob is much better for just tuning the band..
Old 11-16-2017, 7:00 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It's very important to get a good antenna for listening to SW. I don't know your situation (apartment, house, etc) but I have a Radiowavz 80 OCF (a little pricey, but works great) . There is an old axiom in the radio world it goes like this: "It's better to have a thousand dollar antenna and a ten dollar radio than a thousand dollar radio and a ten dollar antenna".
Old 11-16-2017, 8:54 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Hi everyone, long time no talk - mostly because I could not really get any reception from what I had. A friend of mine gave me a radio that his father owned. It's a Grundig Classic 960. No idea if it's original or a reproduction but that's not important. What is important is that it works. As soon as I turned it on and dialed around I immediately started getting clear conversations, etc. This is without the antenna he's made me which he forgot to bring. I'm more than thrilled and looking forward to playing with it more. I've read reviews that it's not that great of a radio but I could care less simply because the darn thing works.
My first exposure to shortwave was listening to my father's Grundig Majestic, circa 1960. I believe it was a model 4006. The SW tuning dial face was populated with the names of many exotic-sounding locales around the globe. He had connected a simple wire antenna which was mounted along the peak of our roof. Early Sunday mornings were spent listening to Radio Australia on 9580 kHz, which only recently went off the air.
Old 11-16-2017, 9:19 AM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yes, portables can easily be overloaded by too much antenna, and sometimes that little 'DX/Local' switch is either too much or too little attenuation to help. This is a great starter project - easy to build, with minimum tools - that will add a gain control, as well as a bit of static protection for the front end of the radio. Be sure to read the entire thread.

https://forums.radioreference.com/re...r-project.html

We need to know a bit more about your situation so we can recommend a better antenna - most importantly, can you get something outside, away from the home, or are you a cave dweller (living in an apartment or condo)?

We have a dedicated forum for discussing receive antennas here; feel free to post questions here...

https://forums.radioreference.com/re...s-below-30mhz/

Mike

Tags
new user