RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > New User / Getting Started Forum

New User / Getting Started Forum - The place for new users to discuss how to get started, and generally feel safe from the rest of the rabid technical community. If you just got your first scanner, this forum is for you. Please note: Posts are only moved from this forum by OP's request only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2018, 5:31 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

hiegtx

Steve,
Thanks for pointing out my error in thinking that the REM-800S was not the correct gender for the '436. I wrongly thought the antenna would require a gender changing adapter. Not opposed to adapters due to loss considerations, as they are too small to consider, but they would add further area of stiffness to the antenna, working as additional leverage on the scanner connector in a droppage scenario.
Sponsored links
Old 02-22-2018, 5:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa4dou View Post
Not opposed to adapters due to loss considerations, as they are too small to consider, but they would add further area of stiffness to the antenna, working as additional leverage on the scanner connector in a droppage scenario.
That's bad logic. The BNC adapter supplied with the 436 has a wide base, which makes the SMA connector less likely to break even though the adapter raises the antenna about 1/2 inch.
Old 02-23-2018, 9:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBrett View Post
awesome thanks...... ok next ? for you folks....
is there a good inside the car glass mount antenna avail for the Uniden BCD436HP ?

Would rather have an interior type if there is one, then exterior...

thanks again
I use a glass mount antenna with limo tint and reception is fine.
Old 03-07-2018, 3:13 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Ah yes, the magical 800 MHZ antenna, selling for $40 on ebay. I've never seen one make a dramatic improvement on any system, anywhere I've ever been, but of course most people will tell you they are nearly magical, making huge gains in reception. The incredibly long and awkward Diamond antenna is also supposed to be truly amazing. There again, I see little difference, and I wouldn't even consider carrying anything around with that monster antenna on a regular basis (I have one rolling around in a parts drawer). Any gains on one band are typically offset on some other band or bands. Duck antennas are pretty much awful antennas, and the advantage one has over the other is minuscule or non-existent in my personal experience. I learned several years back to just save my money and use whatever the scanner comes with. If I want reception I have various base scanners multi-coupled to an outdoor antenna 35' off the ground. Now there's something that actually makes a difference. I think it's a smarter investment to save money spent on magical duck antennas and get some coax, and a decent outdoor antenna that will make a huge and undeniable difference...at least when at home.

The only exception I can think of is that a full size moto whip does make a real difference on a G4/5, in fringe areas, simply because the antenna it ships with is like an inch long, similar to "race scanner" duck antennas, designed to attenuate signals.

As always, every person's personal situation and experience is unique, this is just my take, worth two cents, or less.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:05 AM

those telescopic metal antennas work good too.
Outdoor antenna makes t he greatest difference.
Sponsored links
Old 03-11-2018, 4:40 PM

Default help!!!!!!! Uniden BCD436HP

I am looking for a external speaker for my scanner, (for car use) that will plug into the earphone jack. I have found 2 so far on amazon, and both have sucked........... not sure why, but when i have plugged them in, the volume is so low,,,, you can barley hear it.

anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Capt Brett
Old 03-11-2018, 5:17 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have an "aux" plug that works through the radio in my '16 Kia. I plug both my 436 and HP2 into it with great results.
Old 03-11-2018, 5:37 PM

Default Speaker

Hi sir,
can you give me more details on your speaker, and where your telling me your plugging into??

can you share make and model and where you got it?

thanks
Capt Brett
Old 03-11-2018, 7:31 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Make sure the speaker you get is an amplified speaker.

The speaker will need to be powered by a power supply.
Old 03-11-2018, 7:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Hi sir,
can you give me more details on your speaker, and where your telling me your plugging into??

can you share make and model and where you got it?

thanks
Capt Brett
I have a 2016 Kia Sorento w/ combined AM/FM/satellite radio, CD and Bluetooth. At the front of the console under the dash is a compartment that has two 12V outlets, USB plus a 3.5mm plug marked "AUX." It's the same standard mini plug that comes on the scanner. Plugging in the scanner requires a standard mini cable with male mini plugs on both ends. Volume is controlled by either the car radio or the scanner, or both.
Old 03-11-2018, 7:42 PM

ok thanks, i don't have a usb port... in my car. but i am getting the Anker Amplified 3 Watt Speaker
and going to try that........ well see
Old 03-13-2018, 9:21 AM

Use a pre-amp dual speakers they use on computers. It has its own battery supply and works great.
Old 03-13-2018, 9:47 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The biggest issue you need to be aware of is ground loops. The input of the speaker cannot be grounded, or you will short out the output from the scanner. That can damage the scanner, or cause noise or distortion in the sound.

You need to run the speaker or scanner only on battery power, or else connect them with a ground loop isolator.
Old 03-18-2018, 6:59 AM

Default BCD436 HP

Hi Friends

looking for some recommendations for holder of unit in car. Help!
Old 03-18-2018, 7:33 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray327 View Post
Use a pre-amp dual speakers they use on computers. It has its own battery supply and works great.
And some are USB-powered. If it's a newer car, it may have USB ports so you might even eliminate the batteries.
Old 03-18-2018, 7:57 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Hi Friends

looking for some recommendations for holder of unit in car. Help!
RAM finger grip mount.

https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/l...?&sort=default

You need the finger grip, two of the ball bases (one of which needs to be the 4-hole version to attach to the back of the finger grip), and one of the double socket arm clamps. Extremely rugged and secure, the scanner will not fall out even when off-roading.
Old 03-18-2018, 8:03 AM

Default Car holder

Thats cool... Thanks...

I am looking for one that hooks to air vent? Or one that will clip into the dash without harming it....
Old 03-18-2018, 8:11 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

DO NOT use an air vent mount. One of my customers fried not one, but two GPS modules in his 436 because he was using an air vent mount and the hot air was blowing directly on the scanner where the GPS antenna is located. Hot air and electronics are a bad combination. If you get the suction cup base, you can attach to the windshield or any other smooth surface, or put it in a cupholder--the suction cup base is just the right size to fit.
Old 03-18-2018, 8:13 AM

OK thanks... if you were shopping at this site: what one do you think would work best for my unit?

https://www.proclipusa.com/category/car-phone-holders
Old 03-18-2018, 8:59 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
DO NOT use an air vent mount. One of my customers fried not one, but two GPS modules in his 436 because he was using an air vent mount and the hot air was blowing directly on the scanner where the GPS antenna is located. Hot air and electronics are a bad combination. If you get the suction cup base, you can attach to the windshield or any other smooth surface, or put it in a cupholder--the suction cup base is just the right size to fit.
The risk you run with aftermarket modifications.