New member Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kickit

I’m a new member located in southern Illinois an plan to get an inexpensive portable scanner so I’m looking for advice and figured what better place to ask than here...I’ve been looking at the BC75XLT and Whistler WS1010 do any of you have experience with both models and recommend one over the other?
Thanks!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Inexpensive is useless if it won't decode the traffic you're looking for. If you want to hear public safety a scanner that receives P25 is probably required. What county are you in?

N8IAA

I’m in Williamson County, Illinois

Regardless of what was stated by jonwienke, you will be fine using either the 75 or 1010. Everything in your county is conventional and analog. No need for a digital scanner. No need for future proofing, as it is called. If you feel the need for a digital scanner in the future, save up for it.
Your county is not presently on the Illinois statewide system.

Scan wisely.
Larry

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Actually the statewide STARCOM P25 Phase II system is already in use in Williamson County. Currently it's only DOT and the power company, but it's a pretty good bet that public safety will eventually switch over. When a system expands coverage, non-critical users are usually transferred over in the new area first, so that the bugs and coverage gaps can be resolved before public safety agencies start using the system.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
When possible, opt for the more versatile scanner. Systems seldom go technologically backwards in replacing equipment. Although I'm sure it's happened, departments will not likely go from a trunked system to a duplex system or digital back to analog, Be ready for what might happen next year or what's happening in other nearby areas.

(And for those of you who want to provide examples of backward movement, save it, I know it's happened but they're anomalies.)

Nasby

Both scanners are good choices for what you need. I own both and they are solid units for analog scanning.

You may also want to look at the Uniden BC125AT. It's just a few dollars more and has more features.

If you want to go digital, plan on forking out at least three times the amount on what you would spend on one of these analog units.

There will always be stuff to hear with analog scanners like the ones you mentioned even if your area does eventually decide to go digital.

Scan125

Thanks I appreciate the feedback and eilllook at the 125AT

If you choose the BC125AT then don't forget to checkout my *free* Scan125 Control Program software for that series of scanners.

DennisKink

I’m in Williamson County, Illinois

I am also in S. Illinois in Franklin county.I chose the Uniden BCD436HP because I wanted it for the state police and for traveling. Now that the SDS 100 is out,you should be able to find good deals on the 436.
I also have the BC125AT.It's a good radio for local stuff like county and Marion PD,but it won't hear digital.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I have both a 436 and an HP2. I've been happy with both.

(I also have an HP1 but my daughter is a pilot and she uses it to monitor aviation traffic.)

K1IWN

Thanks, I’ll look at those 436 units.

I have a 436, 536 & HP2. I am happy with all three.

Pending on monitoring choice should dictate which radio to invest in.

This guide may help you Police Scanner 411

If you don't care about monitoring DMR, ProVoice, or NXDN, the HP2 will suit your needs well. It's very simple to set up and use.

mauiblue

I've been into the scanning radio hobby for over 30 years. I've learned to get a the best I can afford. Buy once, cry once. My local police department went digital a few years ago. I just received my new Uniden BC436HP to replace my BCD396T. I got the new scanner last night and got the firmware updated in a few minutes and tonight I'm happy with the new scanner. Prices are coming down for this scanner from a few months ago. Save your green stamps and get a good scanner. Good luck.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I completely agree with mauiblue. Buy as much scanner as you can afford now. Rather than having regrets, or eventually having to upgrade anyway, you'll be a happy knowing you've done as much as you can to enjoy the hobby today.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Buy once, cry once.

If you ever travel with your scanner, you need to consider the systems in use where you might travel, rather than just near your home.

K1IWN

If you ever travel with your scanner, you need to consider the systems in use where you might travel, rather than just near your home.

Absolutely. It's one thing to have a base unit mounted in a house, but a portable can go everywhere. I've taken my 436 up and down the east coast from Maine to Florida. With doing the weekly DB updates and with not having to key in the freqs into a unit anymore, it's incredible.

Bob1955

Kickit, Purchase the Uniden BCAT-125 as it comes with rechargeable batteries( a little more then the BC-75XLT, you can alpha tag the police/fire channels you are listening to. This is a PROVEN winner over Whistler WS-1010 and Uniden has a much better receiver and knobs too. I have been in this hobby since 1973.
Have a great Summer and feel free to reach out to me anytime.

Bob

kickit

Bob1955: Thank you for the recommendation I plan to get the BC125AT.
Kickit, Purchase the Uniden BCAT-125 as it comes with rechargeable batteries( a little more then the BC-75XLT, you can alpha tag the police/fire channels you are listening to. This is a PROVEN winner over Whistler WS-1010 and Uniden has a much better receiver and knobs too. I have been in this hobby since 1973.
Have a great Summer and feel free to reach out to me anytime.

Bob

kickit

Bob1955, Thanks again for the recommendation I purchased the BC125 and am happy with the performance actually I just ordered another one this morning for my granddaughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.