RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > New User / Getting Started Forum


New User / Getting Started Forum - The place for new users to discuss how to get started, and generally feel safe from the rest of the rabid technical community. If you just got your first scanner, this forum is for you. Please note: Posts are only moved from this forum by OP's request only.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2018, 11:19 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Washington
Posts: 8
Default Motorola MTS 2000 III for local fire dispatch?

So I am very new to scanners and I was wondering if a Motorola MTS 2000 III would be a good radio to listen to my local fire/ems dispatching in King county. I am going for this one since it is alot cheaper and I can still use it as a radio. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2018, 8:37 AM
ladn's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_CCR View Post
So I am very new to scanners and I was wondering if a Motorola MTS 2000 III would be a good radio to listen to my local fire/ems dispatching in King county. I am going for this one since it is alot cheaper and I can still use it as a radio. Thanks in advance!
Technically, there's no reason why it wouldn't as long as the model you get is compatible with your FD system. Know that the Motorola RSS software to program the radio is not inexpensive nor user friendly.

You would also need to inhibit transmit on the FD channels, as well as any other channels where you are not licensed or authorized to transmit.

However, in reality, if all you want to do is listen, you would probably be better off purchasing a true scanner. The benefits include lower cost, lighter weight, more versatility, easier to program.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2018, 9:56 AM
MTS2000des's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cobb County, GA Stadium Crime Zone
Posts: 3,195
Default

an MTS2000 may work for a while, however the legacy analog system will be replaced by 2020:


https://psern.org/about/
__________________
NO I will not help program your trunking radio. All opinions are exclusively those of the author and in no way reflect the position of his employer, contractors or other parties.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2018, 1:35 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Washington
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladn View Post
Technically, there's no reason why it wouldn't as long as the model you get is compatible with your FD system. Know that the Motorola RSS software to program the radio is not inexpensive nor user friendly.

You would also need to inhibit transmit on the FD channels, as well as any other channels where you are not licensed or authorized to transmit.

However, in reality, if all you want to do is listen, you would probably be better off purchasing a true scanner. The benefits include lower cost, lighter weight, more versatility, easier to program.
The reason I'm going with an MTS 2000 is that I would be able to use it for explorers too. How difficult is it to program it to read the NorCom trunking channels?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2018, 2:51 PM
ladn's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_CCR View Post
The reason I'm going with an MTS 2000 is that I would be able to use it for explorers too. How difficult is it to program it to read the NorCom trunking channels?
Programming a transceiver to receive a trunking system is different than programming a scanner. A transceiver will need to affiliate itself with the system and to do that the radio actually transmits. You would need a system key for programming the system and that information isn't in public archives. Scanners receive trucked systems in a passive mode, so there is no interaction with the network and a system key isn't needed.

As for your "exploring" use, I'm not sure what you mean. If you mean back country exploring and hiking, there are no unlicensed frequencies in the 800 MHz band. You'd need to get a license, or subscribe to an existing system. For this purpose you are better off using GMRS/FRS or MURS capable radios.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2018, 7:07 AM
chief21's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Summer - western NC mountains; Winter - central FL gulf coast
Posts: 671
Default

Programming a Motorola radio from scratch for a trunking system will be complicated, annoying, frustrating, and - if you're not given the system key - impossible. Get a good scanner to monitor the trunked system and find a more easily-programmed radio for Explorers.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions