RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > New User / Getting Started Forum

New User / Getting Started Forum - The place for new users to discuss how to get started, and generally feel safe from the rest of the rabid technical community. If you just got your first scanner, this forum is for you. Please note: Posts are only moved from this forum by OP's request only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2018, 5:03 AM

Default NEW USER

HELLO I'M NEW SCANNER USER, RETIRED POLICE OFFICER SOO, HAD A RADIO ON MY HIP FOR A LONG TIME. I guess I miss the noise and chatter lol. I just got a TRX 1 and I'm in the Goldsboro NC area. and was trying to see how to pick up this area on the scanner. I could the local PD when I first got the scanner, but not sure if I did something. I can pick up surrounding areas just fine, lol just not my area. Any help is welcome. Thanks and I hope I posting right and in the right area. thanks again.
Sponsored links
Old 11-09-2018, 7:51 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Welcome to RR, you'll find all the answers to your questions here. I'd suggest you post this in the NC section as you'll get the attention of the people who can help you a lot quicker that way. If you click on the little red triangle in the upper right (just above your join date) you can ask a Moderator to move it to that section if you want. Best of luck to you!
Old 11-11-2018, 8:09 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Smile

macskins99,

Yes, you'll be better off asking this in the North Carolina forum as DJ11DLN mentioned.

Meanwhile, looking at the frequency database here on Radio Reference, it looks like the Goldsboro Police Department (GPD) was in the process of moving from their VHF system to the Wayne County Project 25 Phase I system. Reference the old VHF system here and the new trunking system here. Which do you have programmed into your scanner?

Finally, Welcome to Radio Reference! Great to have another retiree from the police department around here. I fully understand what you mean about missing the radio chatter. That is why I invested in the Uniden BCD536HP scanner shortly after I retired. The silence can be maddening! LOL!

Cheers! Dave

Retired E911 Police Communications Systems Manager
BC800XLT (1978) and BCD536HP (2015)
NOTE: Also a Motorola Police HT "Scanner" before retirement
Old 11-11-2018, 9:33 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4EET View Post
Great to have another retiree from the police department around here. I fully understand what you mean about missing the radio chatter. That is why I invested in the Uniden BCD536HP scanner shortly after I retired. The silence can be maddening! LOL!

Cheers! Dave
Over 3 decades as a LEO and I sort of miss it. I was getting weaned off the chatter in the last few years of service because I worked in Crime Analysis, the Legal Office and Homeland Security.

But, you're right and after you've listened for years, you find that certain words and phrases or elevated voices get your attention while much of the traffic falls away.