Bcd996p2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooter4554

Brand new here. I'm trying to program a few frequencies in this thing into this scanner bcd996p2. Will freescan have the frequencies I need or do I have to find them on my own?

MFD4305

No - But Don't Worry

Hi. I'll leave your official welcome to our "Official Welcomer."

FreeScan does not include any frequencies by itself, but it's quite simple to load the frequencies into FreeScan from the database here, then upload them to the scanner [I have a 996P2 and I use FreeScan]. Depending on where you're located, you may need to learn about Systems and Sites if what you want to monitor is on a trunked system.

This is a very welcoming and supportive community. Come back with more questions when you've thought through the above.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
To use the db, you must have a (cheap) subscription. But we're getting ahead of ourselves here.

This article from our wiki will get you started. It includes links for the subscription, and many other things such as the Easier to Read manual for that radio at the bottom of...

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Links are in blue...Mike

K7MFC

WRAA720
Brand new here. I'm trying to program a few frequencies in this thing into this scanner bcd996p2. Will freescan have the frequencies I need or do I have to find them on my own?

I have BCD996P2 - it's a a great scanner and FreeScan works very well with it. The software itself will not have the frequencies and other data necessary to program the radio; I would suggest purchasing a RadioReference premium subscription to assist with programming. This will allow you to directly import data from the RR database for use in the scanner. As MFD4305 mentioned, this scanner uses the concept of "systems", "sites", and "groups." And while it is possible to manually enter this information into FreeScan or the scanner itself, I think the $15 for the premium RR subscription is money well spent considering the amount of time it will save.

The Easier to Read BCD996P2/XT Digital Scanner Manual is also available from marksscanners, but having read both the supplied manual from Undien and this, there is not much difference between each and either should sufficiently familiarize yourself with all working of this radio. Enjoy!

Last edited:

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I also have the 996P2 and the H/H ver 325P2, both are very nice scanners and even very easy to pgm by hand….Wonder where you purchased it and what the firmware is it came with as I would like to buy another one but want the latest FWare…..Thanks

K4EET

Chaplain
<snip> I'll leave your official welcome to our "Official Welcomer." <snip>

MFD4305, LOL! :lol:

Scooter4554, here it is: Welcome to Radio Reference!

You will find a great bunch of folks here and a wealth of information. Enjoy and don't hesitate to ask questions. Somebody around here will have an answer for you.

Cheers! Dave

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
I have Pgm may BCD 996P2 by hand very easy they are menu driven and very easy just takes the time to sit down and put a lot of info into them

K7MFC

WRAA720
Hi. I'll leave your official welcome to our "Official Welcomer."

MFD4305, LOL! :lol:

Scooter4554, here it is: Welcome to Radio Reference!

This reminded me that I want to say thank you to K4EET for always being so welcoming. Internet forums can sometimes be an intimidating (or unfortunately much worse) place, especially for new users. I really enjoy seeing his positive attitude towards everybody here and always being very accommodating with everyone's questions! Radio is fun, and you definitely do you part to help keep it that way, K4EET. Cheers!

Ubbe

You usually receive an automated welcome message from most forums when you join, but getting a warming and personalised one from a former pastor who seems to care about all members well being are really appreciated.

/Ubbe

K4EET

Chaplain
Matt and Ubbe,

Thanks so much for your support. One of the moderators contacted me about my welcome messages and while I am apparently not violating any Forum rules, I got the impression from the moderator that perhaps I should not be sending them. :confused: :confused: :confused:

I am going to bookmark this thread in case I get contacted by a moderator again about welcome messages.

We now return you to the original intent of this thread:

Subject: Bcd996p2
Message: Brand new here. I'm trying to program a few frequencies in this thing into this scanner bcd996p2. Will freescan have the frequencies I need or do I have to find them on my own?

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Thank You "W8SQY" for that info, I also wondered what retailers were shipping the latest 996P2's with on firmware if it is the latest.....

Status
Not open for further replies.