Desperately needing help

Status
Not open for further replies.

flex6977

I just bought a uniden BCD996P2 to use in the Harrison Arkansas area. The problem I and many others around here I find out are having trouble programming Harrison police and Boone county S.O. Can anyone help us.

flex6977

ok how do I do that and by the way a friend has a tytera md 380 with them in it so we know they are using 400mhz area. I really miss our radio guy we used to have here he died and left a big void.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I just bought a uniden BCD996P2 to use in the Harrison Arkansas area. The problem I and many others around here I find out are having trouble programming Harrison police and Boone county S.O. Can anyone help us.
Welcome to RadioReference

(mule typed faster ;))

Looking at your county in the database, I see that your city, Harrison, as well as the Boone County Sheriff, have frequencies using DMR. While your 996P2 can handle DMR, that requires that you get the paid upgrade for DMR. Once you do that, you can program those two correctly.

Both the county and the city show some analog frequencies, which the 996P2 can handle with no issue. But look more closely, and you'll see additional channels (frequencies) for each that are not analog. Looking at the mode column, you'll see some of them listed as DMR. For those, the upgrade is required. The Sheriff's office also have one assigned talkgroup on AWIN, the statewide system. Your scanner can receive that, but I suspect that it is rarely used.

Look at the S.O. It shows frequency 460.5000 in use for 'East' dispatch. It's listed twice, as "East Analog", with a DPL of 143, and as "East Digital", which is DMR. Other S.O. frequencies are DMR; some also have an analog companion, some not. The same pattern is there for Harrison, with both an Analog and Digital dispatch frequency. Again, to receive the 'digital' ones for these agencies, you'll need to add the DMR upgrade. Once you do that, you can program them successfully.

(If you already have the upgrade, but are having problems programming these correctly, please indicate that.)

flex6977

It is a brand new unit just unboxed it yesterday so no upgrade has been done those analog ones are just a bunch of noise so how do I get the dmr upgrade. If you get me through this and I learn how to do this on mine I have an elderly couple who really will be happy to get theres working also so thanks a bunch in advance.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
It is a brand new unit just unboxed it yesterday so no upgrade has been done those analog ones are just a bunch of noise so how do I get the dmr upgrade. If you get me through this and I learn how to do this on mine I have an elderly couple who really will be happy to get theres working also so thanks a bunch in advance.
The "noise" is the DMR transmissions. Once you get the upgrade applied, and program the channels, that noise will become actual conversations.

I believe that links to FreeSCAN are on one of the pages that Mike provided links for above. FreeSCAN is software that is free to use, and will program your 996P2. If you get stumped, we can walk you through it, or, if necessary, create a "starter" file to get you up and listening.

flex6977

Ok new firm ware is uploaded I'm using free scan soft ware so what is the easiest way to try this

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Ok new firm ware is uploaded I'm using free scan soft ware so what is the easiest way to try this
Have you purchased and applied the DMR upgrade yet? You won't be able to program those frequencies until that is in place.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I only did a firm ware update is that not it
You have to have the correct firmware installed first, so you've done that now.

To get the upgrade, register the scanner at MyUniden. You'll need both the serial # on the label on the scanner, as well as the ESN (Electronic Serial Number). You can find that by pressing the Menu key, then scroll all the way to the end of the menus to find Settings. Press the E (enter) key to select that.
At the Settings menu, choose the option for "See Scanner Information". The next screen should have two choices (I don't have the 996P2, but do have the handheld sibling, 325P2, so I think the options should be the same.).
Use the option for Firmware Version, pressing E to select it.
That should take you to a screen showing the firmware version installed, and also show the ESN and the Checksum. Note both of these.

On the MyUniden page, if you do not have an account, create one and log into it.

Once logged into MyUniden, click on All My Scanners.
Then choose Register a Product. Enter the serial # for your 996P2 (the one on the label on the outside).

If I recall, you then have to click the "Purchase Upgrade" link to get to where you enter the ESN.

You would need to purchase the DMR upgrade, which is $60.00. Once you purchase it, you'll get an email with the unlock code.
That has to be entered through the keypad on the scanner.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
ok I got the key number now where do I enter it
Menu
Settings
Once on the Settings menu, you should see an option that says Upgrade
Select that option, then select the DMR upgrade at the next screen
Once you are at the screen to enter the key, use the scroll knob to select each letter in turn.
DO NOT hit the Enter key until you have all of the key characters entered.

You must enter all of the characters, including the "-" dashes.
Be sure & look closely at them. Some of them can fool you.
Once you have entered all of the characters for the code, along with the dashes, THEN hit the Enter key. If the key was entered correctly, once you press Enter the scanner will apply the upgrade. If there is a typo, you'll get an error message.

flex6977

now my frustration level just hit high gear mmmmm I get this figured out i'm going to dance a jig

Status
Not open for further replies.