Webster, NY, FF shot on scene, working fire left to burn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confuzzled

Webster (WSYR-TV) - Multiple people, including a firefighter, have been shot at the scene of a fire in the Monroe County Town of Webster.

Our sister station in Rochester, WROC, tells us the firefighter has been taken to a local hospital and is in satisfactory condition.

Fire crews responded to the fire on Lake Road around 5:30 a.m. when a gunman opened fire. The suspect is still on the loose and multiple buildings are now burning.

Firefighter, others shot at scene of fire in suburban Rochester - NewsChannel 9 WSYR

This is a couple of hours old, but just hitting the news sites.

Confuzzled

(CNN) -- At least two firefighters were killed when they were shot after arriving to battle a blaze at a house in upstate New York on Monday, officials said.

Two other firefighters were injured, police in Webster, New York, told reporters.

Authorities believe someone shot at the firefighters shortly after they exited their vehicles, said Rob Boutillier, fire marshal in the town of Webster, New York.

2 firefighters shot, killed while battling New York blaze - CNN.com

reconrider8

so sad they were just doing their job and working unselfishly and they get this as a reward prayers up for their families and all involved

WHAM is reporting that the home is according to public records owned by a person whom spent 17 years in Prison for Manslaughter of his grandmother who lived next door back in 1980. The person completed his parole back in 2006. According to the Press Conference they are looking into if the person set up a trap. Shooter's name is not yet been released.

Police Chief Gerald Pickering has just announced that the gunman responsible for the shooting was found dead of an apparent gunshot wound outside one of the burning homes, and is believed to have set the fire himself in order to entrap the responders.

One of the two firefighters killed in the tragedy was a local police lieutenant; the two injured victims are an off-duty police officer from the town of Greece and a Rochester firefighter who volunteers in Webster.

At least four houses were damaged in the fire. - Gunman Shoots Firefighters Responding to Large Residential Blaze in Western New York [UPDATE x2: Fatalities Reported, Gunman Dead, Fire Was a 'Trap']

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
The two fire fighters who were killed at the scene are:

Mike Chipperini was not only a West Webster volunteer fire fighter. His full time job was as a Lt. and a 20 year veteran in the Webster Police Department.

Fire Dispatcher Tomaz Kaczowka was an employee of Rochester-Monroe County (NY) 9-1-1 as well as a West Webster volunteer.

I knew Mike. Tomaz started at 9-1-1 after I retired.

One of the injured volunteers was also a full time fire fighter for the City of Rochester.

gpp10x

Premium Subscriber
The guy served prison time for killing his grandmother. He should have gotten a death sentence instead of prison.

Prayers to all involved, except the shooter.

Confuzzled

Seeing some unsubstantiated fluff out there that this is a copycat off a TV show. Maybe, maybe not, but it certainly isn't the first of it's kind.

There was one in western TN a few years back that was very similar. It seems like I can remember a few others going back farther, but I can't remember the details.

nick1427d

Premium Subscriber
Seeing some unsubstantiated fluff out there that this is a copycat off a TV show. Maybe, maybe not, but it certainly isn't the first of it's kind.

There was one in western TN a few years back that was very similar. It seems like I can remember a few others going back farther, but I can't remember the details.

July 21st, 2008
Ryan Hummert of the Maplewood Fire Department in St. Louis County. Shot after arriving on scene of a vehicle fire.

City of Maplewood - Official Website - Ryan Hummert Memorial Page

Mentioning this one cause it's local to me. I'm sure there's many more that we don't hear about, a shame it happens at all.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider

Mike Chipperini was not only a West Webster volunteer fire fighter. His full time job was as a Lt. and a 20 year veteran in the Webster Police Department.

Fire Dispatcher Tomaz Kaczowka was an employee of Rochester-Monroe County (NY) 9-1-1 as well as a West Webster volunteer.

One of the injured volunteers was also a full time fire fighter for the City of Rochester.

As a volunteer firefighter and 9-1-1 dispatcher myself (who will be working in the dispatch center tonight from 6p-6a), my mind is heavily on this tragedy. You sir have my heartfelt condolences and all of the responders, based on the audio I heard, should be congratulated for a very professional, calm, and coordinated response to an unthinkable incident.

Jason Low, FF, EMT-A, EMD
Redwood Meadows Emergency Services
Redwood Meadows, Alberta, Canada

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
As a volunteer firefighter and 9-1-1 dispatcher myself (who will be working in the dispatch center tonight from 6p-6a), my mind is heavily on this tragedy. You sir have my heartfelt condolences and all of the responders, based on the audio I heard, should be congratulated for a very professional, calm, and coordinated response to an unthinkable incident.

Jason Low, FF, EMT-A, EMD
Redwood Meadows Emergency Services
Redwood Meadows, Alberta, Canada

Jason,

Thank you. I will pass your thoughts on to the 9-1-1 folks down there. I listened to all the tapes and press briefings today, and was also very impressed. I'd like to think that some of the training and dispatcher development I did years ago has trickled down to this generation of 9-1-1 pros.

I am thinking about going back to Rochester after Christmas to be with them for a while.

Best regards!

tmbstn

Premium Subscriber

On behalf of myself and my family, as well of all Canadians, I express my deepest and heartfelt sympathy on the loss of FF Chipperini (Lt Webster PD) & FF Dispatcher Kaczowka. Our prayers and thoughts are with the wounded, their families, and their fellow brother and sister First Responders of Monroe-County and Webster. May the Lord watch over you all during this tragic time and give you strength to mourn, to heal, and to do what you do best, serve. ~ Jeremy Kitchener ON Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.