There are a couple of different methods used to identify a unit over the air...
1) Precinct number followed by precinct sector letter (i.e.: 33A, 44P - oftentimes clipped to one number only...3A, 4P)
2) Car number (anywhere from one to four digits)
3) Function (for example: Precinct number + "H.O.W." = car assigned to pay special attention to Houses of Worship during high holidays)
4) Note that specialized units use assorted methods.
- Highway units ID with S (for sector) + Highway Unit number (1, 2, 3, or 5) + post number (i.e.: S101, S206, etc - the S is often dropped)
- Emergency Service units ID with unit letter + Squad number (i.e.: A1, B2, Truck 10)
- Some plainclothes units ID with code names (i.e.: Tom Alpha)
The United States of America
July 4, 1776 - November 4, 2008
Benjamin Franklin must have known when he was asked...we couldn't "keep it."
Last edited by SCANdal; 04-20-2008 at 3:55 AM..