Capital District (Albany) GMRS Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

LathamScan

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone. I have a question that pertains to the GMRS band; specifically, in the Capital District region (Albany).

A few weeks ago I was mobile in my town scanning the different GMRS channels in my mobile radio. On 462.550 I was hearing units in the 900 number range talking about calling into 'dispatch'. Once these units were clear, I decided to attempt a radio check in simplex mode (the only mode I have in my mobile radio right now). I ID'ed myself by callsign and requested a radio check. A unit signed on and advised me that I was on an emergency channel and that I had to get off the frequency immediately. Not wanting to start any more trouble I apologized and signed off.

Now, my question is this... I though the GMRS emergency and travellers advisory channel was 462.675 MHz? Has this changed? Also, if there is an authorized emergency service using a GMRS channel, does this mean that other licensed GMRS stations cannot use that specific frequency at all?

Just wondering.

Kevin

eng5

Premium Subscriber
Users were trying to make 675/141.3 a "traveller's channel" by convention, but there's no specific emergency channel written into the rules anymore. Back when you were licensed for one pair only, 675 was designated as an emergency channel, but no more.

The "authorized emergency service" you encountered, if that's what they really are, probably has no idea that they're on a GMRS channel. It's possible that they're on a grandfathered repeater system along with the dump trucks and tow trucks. We've got several of those systems out here, including an ambulance service on 462.700.

The way I see it, my license says I'm not supposed to interfere with anyone, whether they belong there or not, so I just try to use a different PL and stay off their repeaters. I can use the same channels they do, as long as I don't interfere with them. Usually I do okay.

Yes, I know they aren't supposed to hog the channel or interfere with me, but from a practical standpoint, there isn't much I can do about them.

kc2kvz

Premium Subscriber
They are not an emergency group, nor do they own the frequency. As long as you arent interfering, and are licensed, you can use the frequency, but not necessarily the repeater. If the repeater is privately owned, the owner can restrict access. The "900" series units used to be part of local REACT, but I am not sure who they are now.

LathamScan

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. I know it would be improper to just 'jump' onto someone else's repeater without permission; that's why I tried it on simplex. I am in the process of getting set up on 462.600 MHz. now as it seems to be a pretty quiet channel in the area.

As for businesses, there are a few of them still around this area as well on GMRS repeaters. 462.575 MHz. is one channel that I can think of right off the top of my head. I think the repeater is located either on Crawford Hill in Rotterdam or somewhere in the Schenectady area. There are two businesses on there; I think one is a bus company and I think the other is a taxi/transit service that uses vans. I have pretty much locked that channel out and don't bother monitoring it anymore.

D

DaveNF2G

Congratulations, you found the "Alpha Deltas"!

Ask Tony Pazzola about them. They call themselves Albany County Assistance and several operate "whackermobiles." They also spend a considerable amount of their time in Schenectady County.

KE7JFF

Ask Tony Pazzola about them. They call themselves Albany County Assistance and several operate "whackermobiles." They also spend a considerable amount of their time in Schenectady County.

/me does the David Letterman spit

So they do exist! I used to know someone who worked with the Charlton FD who told me about them because they would try to help when the go on "patrol".

That dispatch service thats over in Rotterdam is so annoying. My company (when I worked out of the Albany office) once a year conducted busienss at several of the stores in Rotterdam Mall and I would have to remind one of our people to avoid using that channel (along with mentioning them that is a GMRS channel and that we need a license for that)

Is that GMRS repeater still up in Saratoga County? I can't remember what frequency it was exactly on (as I no longer live in New York state at all) but I couldn't figure out if it was grandfathered or a legit GMRS user.

wten77

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
GMRS

Does anyone know the PL/DPL for the Alpha Delta repeater? Also are there any other active GMRS repeaters in the area? I seem to remember when REACT disbanded that a few members were trying to form some other group. Is this the alpha deltas? Kinda reminds me of the guardian Angels who do nothing but get in the way and tend to self deploy.

WQQC502

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber

I think I'm going to do some radio checks the next time I'm over in your neck of the woods. Keep your ears open.

:)

LathamScan

Premium Subscriber
I did monitor the 462.550 repeater back on 2/19. CTCSS was 100.0 Hz.

The 462.575 repeater has since gone quiet. I don't know if it is still on the air and the customers moved off or if the repeater is off the air.

Don't look for my repeater on 462.600 - yet. I'm still working on it (yes, 5 years later).

wten77

Banned
GMRS

Thanks Kevin. I'm in the area every week . I live in RI full time and there's quite a few GMRS machines that cover the whole state. Pretty cool considering I that GMRS has slowly died. I lived in the capital district for years and figured there would be more repeaters than there is. I also am surprised that there are no fire buff radio nets there.

D

DaveNF2G

The only active repeater serving the Capital area seems to be on 462.550 (the Alpha Delta machine), which is now located in Wells, NY. The Grafton site blew up - literally. The owner of the 55 is planning a second repeater on .675 but hasn't found a site for it yet. He also has a mobile repeater but I'm not sure which pair it's on now.

Everything else seems to have gone off the air. Some old users are still on simplex using expired licenses.

wten77

Banned
GMRS

Yea when I lived there REACT I believe had two repeaters one of which was 675. About a year later they disbanded or whatever. Also, MyGMRS.com lists a repeater in Schenectady on 700. I emailed the owner to obtain information but of course no response so who knows the status of that machine. I'm just surprised with the amount of volunteer emergency services, radio buffs etc that Albany area doesnt have a few GMRS repeaters up. I always thought a great idea would be a repeater near every theme park and tourist area. ( Great Escape, Lake George , etc...). I know there is one at Disney world on the property and it works great.

wten77

Banned
Has there been any interest from anyone in putting up a network of GMRS repeaters in the area?

Dialing

I heard them a couple of weeks ago on 462.550, PL 100.0. The "dispatcher" was reading the NOAA forecast for an upcoming snowstorm, and advising all units to have there portables charged up. He concluded the transmission with a call sign (I was driving and couldn't write it down), and "ACA Dispatch Center". I wondered who or what that was....... now I know.

Signal in the Saratoga Springs area was pretty good.

Last edited:

wten77

Banned
GMRS

Oh ok well I will have to put that freq in my radio. Sounds like free entertainment.

LathamScan

Premium Subscriber
Most of the fire buffs are using text messaging and other social media now. I've tried to get a group of people in my firehouse interested but it just isn't there. It's hard for a UHF 2 way radio to compete against a smart phone.

wten77

Banned
Re:

Kevin

Agreed. There are several groups around me using UHF , however with all the new technology interest is few and far between. Several groups here are struggling to survive due to paying tower fees.

D

DaveNF2G

If you show up on that repeater with an unfamiliar identifier, the "ACA Dispatcher" will probably interrogate you.

For Steve and Kevin (who I know personally), if you want permission to use and a "valid" unit number, please PM me. I can ask the Steve who owns the repeater to let you in. I can't guarantee that he will, but it is quite likely, especially if you are involved in public safety.

wten77

Banned
GMRS

Maybe I'll just put it in as a receive channel. The idea of a wacker attempting to interrogate me doesn't sit well. Plus I already have my own Unit ID number.

Status
Not open for further replies.