New NASSAU 500MHZ SYSTEM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastrocks400

For years we have heard about the new 500mhz system. Just today rumor says that the new system will be 100% encrypted. Police AND fire operations will be on it. This is just what i heard, trying to find out more, looking for anyone with more info. I dont know what i will do when this happens, because now i cant afford an XTS2500... and would that even be the appropriate radio???

Nightmares.......

eastrocks400

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
If the system goes encrypted then doesn't matter what radio you buy, you won't be able to listen to it.
Stamford Ct went to a new system and it's all encrypted for police/fire.

SCANdal

Silent Key
Sounds like a lot of misinformation is floating around. Or is it disinformation?

You could spend as much money as you'd like and buy whatever portable two-way radio you want, but without an authorized 'system key' being loaded into the radio by an authorized shop (and having it capable of being rekeyed over the air - if that method is used on the system), any radio you buy will not be able to decrypt an encrypted radio transmission.

SCANdal

Last edited:

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
Nassau is broke! The chances that their 500 Mhz system will be on the air soon is low, not to metion the use of encryption on any but a very few law enforcment TGs. This stuff costs big bucks and can't be justified for anything but the most sensitve survailance ops. There is no call for encryption on fire and ems comms, anything of a sensitive nature would be handled on deptartment owned cell/nextels. And, what FD/EMS outfit is going to junk their radio system and buy all new, and very expensive radios because thats the only way to access the 500 Mhz TRS? I don't think the County Executive is in a position to pay for almost 100 FD and EMS depts radio bills. The county is threatining job cuts if the county unions don't agree to wage cut backs. So everyone can go to bed tonight and rest well, 'cause nothing is going to change soon.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
I received a one page document from someone today that breaks down the system.
Line Item 8 states the system will be completely encrypted.

I have been tracking this system on my site for a while now, and I only log 1 or 2 talk groups per week. It seems they are in the VERY VERY early stages of testing. The FCC shows they must be construction complete by 12/31/09.

Here is the tracker on my site, and the last thread has the document that went out in JPG form.
Long Island Live Scanner Feeds: Forums / Long Island - Nassau / New NCPD Systems OBSERVATIONS
It is on page 4.

ALLPLOWEDOUT

This stuff costs big bucks and can't be justified for anything but the most sensitve survailance ops.

I think the justification part is past news, as the radios and infrastructure have been approved and purchased. I dont have confirmation as of this time, but am under the impression that the equipment has the board already installed. Remember, the county is in a disaster along the lines of communications as a whole and you expect reason here?

Why such a doc was even released is absolutely stupid. Dont advertise whats not even operational yet.
If this really came from firecomm, shame on them. Look what they did to every department who "wasted" $$$$$ on adding the NCFG freq into EVERY radio, now it's a department's personal paging channel. Nothing against the dept who is paged, but there are NO rules adhered to here.

Status
Not open for further replies.