Radio Scanner Shops in NYC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedPenguin

I am going to be visiting NYC soon and would like to know if anyone knows of some reputable radio shops that they like to go to.

I am curious in older scanners that are still usable for recording/streaming and in my area of PA, there are really no shops that carry that kinda stuff.

Only radio shop in my area is Radio Shack, and obviously no used or older stuff there.

jb853

Premium Subscriber
Stuart Electronics on Parsons Boulevard in Flushing, Queens, telephone 718 591-9700. Speak to Peter. Very knowledgeable, very fair in pricing/business practices, often has used scanners.

tampatracker

Stuart Electronics on Parsons Boulevard in Flushing, Queens, telephone 718 591-9700 Yes, speak with Peter he is a fountain of information and a personal friend. He IS a Very fair guy in term of honesty, and he knows scanner systems inside and out. Tell him John from Tampa, Fl. recommended him he'll get a kick out of that and yes he sometimes does have used scanners for sale, or knows someone who does. Happy Trails.

Scanner-geek

I, too, have used Peter on Parson's Boulevard. Nice guy and very knowledgeable. Store was featured in an episode of Law and Order a few years back.

I buy all my gear from Peter.

Scannergeek

RedPenguin

Wow.....

I, too, have used Peter on Parson's Boulevard. Nice guy and very knowledgeable. Store was featured in an episode of Law and Order a few years back.

I buy all my gear from Peter.

Scannergeek

Wow, I will have to find out what episode because actually I know someone who has every L&O episode.

EDIT: I found it, Season 14 Episode 14 City Hall.

Last edited:

RedPenguin

Wow

Peter's son is a screen writer and has credits for L&O and others.

I definitely feel I need to visit this store, every time I am near or in NYC.

Like I said, there are no stores even close in my area. I hate only having Radio Shack period. They are nice during sales but not every day.

hntsgt

Stepping into Stuart Electronics is like stepping back in time. I haven't been there in a couple of years, but they haven't done anything to update that shop in 30 years!

Be prepared to spend an hour or so when talking to Peter, the conversation will roll on.

Is Walter still there, too?

tampatracker

Walter

Yes, I believe Peter still's got Walter in the basement, I hear he comes out of there once a week or so.

Renegade631

Premium Subscriber
Ever tried Ebay? Always lots of scanners and other radio equipment there, if you're ever looking for something and not looking to take the NYC trip.

That said, I think I may have to swing through this shop myself after hearing all these recommendations.

RedPenguin

Going anyway...

Ever tried Ebay? Always lots of scanners and other radio equipment there, if you're ever looking for something and not looking to take the NYC trip.

That said, I think I may have to swing through this shop myself after hearing all these recommendations.

That's true, though this time, I'm going to be in NYC anyway, so I figured, might as well give it a go. I would love if there was a place like this in my area, it would be awesome.

You can't even really find people who understand scanners that often in my area. Except that ones that are online, that I know of.

I went there yesterday morning to drop off my pro-164 to get it programmed(trunked systems only). Peter looks a lot like the late radical lawyer,civil rights activist William Kunstler. His shop is near the corner of Parsons Blvd/Union Turnpike. There is metered parking in front,but I parked on a side street a block away.

He advised me to get the BC246T,he didn't try to sell me anything,but he looked busy as there were a couple of people that came in after me. He said he was going to test the scanner for sensitivity as well,will take a few days until my scanner is programmed. His display case had a lot of Hess toy trucks collectibles.

He did mention to me that those little antennas on the back of nypd cars were sold by him.

Status
Not open for further replies.