Town Poughkeepsie Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Listening in to town, I always hear then ask "am I clear to use the arterial?" "I'm taking the arterial" is there any special reason for this? Just curious...

orangEMT246

Maybe they are talking about using the arterial in the City of Poughkeepsie. It is RT. 44/55 going East/West from the Mid-Hudson Bridge (West side) to the Arlington (East side) section of the Town of Poughkeepsie. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
possibly some times they do cross through the city to get where they are going.

nozzlenut83

Listening in to town, I always hear then ask "am I clear to use the arterial?" "I'm taking the arterial" is there any special reason for this? Just curious...

This is a notification to other units that a unit will be travelling on the East/West Arterial highway (Rt-44/55). This is so other cars use caution while crossing the arterial or approaching intersections.

You may also hear Arlington FD units calling out to alert other apparatus when responding along routes where meeting other apparatus is likely or when a rig is responding from a "not normal" location (ie rig out driver training, running errands, etc.) This is usually done on Ch 48 Fireground T/A (460.2000 PL114.8/Simplex)

Hope this helps,
nozzlenut83

Spec

When a town unit leaves the jurisdiction it notifies the dispatch. In some cases a units most direct route to a call may require "taking the arterial." The arterial is the east west 44/55. As the town borders the city on three sides this often happens. It has nothing to do with intersections etc. but merely a departmental procedure. The same happens if a city unit crosses the mid - Hudson bridge to turn around .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.