Need advice for my area

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I live in Queens N.Y. and im wondering if im missing any action not having a trunking scanner. I looked at the RR database and from what i can tell its just con ed and some other stuff on there. So my question is am i missing any good action not having a trunking scanner?

Thanks in advance
Mike

n2nov

I live in Queens N.Y. and im wondering if im missing any action not having a trunking scanner. I looked at the RR database and from what i can tell its just con ed and some other stuff on there. So my question is am i missing any good action not having a trunking scanner?

Thanks in advance
Mike

Let's see:
NYC DOITT 800 system with over 40 different agencies
New NYC DOITT UHF system just coming online with a dozen first responder agencies
Two different systems (800 and 900) for MTA buses
Port Authority 800 system
NY State PD and other gov't agencies on an 800 system
various Federal trunking systems on UHF
plus various business trunking systems on UHF and 900

Check out some of the public safety agencies on my website - www.n2nov.net

SCPD

QRT
Thank you for the quick reply. I have been to your site many many times over the years. Now the next question is should i get a digital trunking scanner or will an analog one be fine. Keep in mind i never had a trunking scanner before. Im looking for something with alpha tags so its easier to follow what is going on.

Thanks again and great site.
Mike

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Im not sure how much digital is on those systems but I am sure somebody will have an answer today.

Just so you know, most of the trunked scanners offer alpha tags whether the scanner is digital or not.

SCPD

QRT
Thank you for the advice and reply. Would a Radio Shack Pro-163 be good enough for everything you & n2nov mentioned?

If anyone else wants to chime in please do so cause i can use all the help i can get :)

Mike

SCPD

QRT
Well i just bought the pro163 so i will be bothering your guys with a lot of questions on the trunking freq. Dont worry i will read up in the wiki before i start posting.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
On the older programmable scanners, you would enter a frequency and it would display on the screen when there was activity on that frequency. The newer scanners that feature alpha tags, let you enter text so instead of seeing freqs, you can see text like Elmont fd or NCPD 1 7 pct etc

SCPD

QRT
Sorry to rehash this old thread but i think i do need some more help from dave and n2nov. I have the pro-163. I dont have any problems with conventional scanning the trunking part im not grasping. From what i read and please tell me if im doing this the correct way. I need to assign a bank (pro-163) 0-9 then input the frequencies one at a time just like conventional numbers now do i just program the control channels or everything from the database (control channels in red and frequencies)? Next i have to goto the tgid's and program those so i just pickup what i want to listen to in that group. i setup an alpha tag to that tgid so i know what im listening to?

Im using this Scanner Frequencies: NYC MTA Bus (ex: DOT) Trunking System, New York, New York for an example.

The dec's are the talkgroup id's correct?

Sorry if this post is all over the place. Its 8:00am and this trunking stuff is making me nuts.

If it helps im using arc300

Status
Not open for further replies.