Hudson River dredging

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveNF2G

I heard some activity this week that might have been a dredging operation.

462.5875/67.0 - This is FRS channel 2. Talk about water flow, sludge, a cutting head, and apparently moving some sort of pipe by remote control. Mention of "bank side" which could have meant river bank.

Has anyone IDed any other dredging related frequencies yet? I'm thinking about a recon trip perhaps on Monday.

NY DB Admin
Database Admin
I heard some activity this week that might have been a dredging operation.

462.5875/67.0 - This is FRS channel 2. Talk about water flow, sludge, a cutting head, and apparently moving some sort of pipe by remote control. Mention of "bank side" which could have meant river bank.

Has anyone IDed any other dredging related frequencies yet? I'm thinking about a recon trip perhaps on Monday.

That is a good question Dave. They have not notified us of what they are using for the specific operation. I just assumed they would be using something from the plethora of frequencies that GE has. The Fort Edward Fire Department communicates to the dredging units on the river/canal on the Marine Band.

wkredick

Does GE have any licenses in the Ft Edward area?I could not find any under any of thier FRN on FCC database.I almost had a MotoTrbo system sold up there in VHF for a vendor involved,but they changed thier mind.GPS tracking on all barges,tenders,3 base stations and 15 GPS capable portables.
:(

NY DB Admin
Database Admin
Does GE have any licenses in the Ft Edward area?I could not find any under any of thier FRN on FCC database.I almost had a MotoTrbo system sold up there in VHF for a vendor involved,but they changed thier mind.GPS tracking on all barges,tenders,3 base stations and 15 GPS capable portables.
:(

I did some research a while back, they had two VHF licenses KBQ457 and KQS289 that they requested be cancelled in Nov of 07. I would guess they are using the UHF license from Saratoga County. Seeing as I stair at their building all day I could through their frequencies in the scanner and see what happens?

I know that as of right now, they are between Ft. Edward and Schylerville...I have heard them on the Marine Band somewhere in the "Ship to Ship" channels.

Spec

I know that as of right now, they are between Ft. Edward and Schylerville...I have heard them on the Marine Band somewhere in the "Ship to Ship" channels.
Can you be more specific as to maybe what Marine channel or the frequency. Non commercial or Commercial channels ?

Spec

D

DaveNF2G

The activity I originally posted on FRS-2 apparently had nothing to do with the dredging. The traffic I was hearing had to be coming from much closer to me than the current location of the dredging fleet.

D

DaveNF2G

Fort Hudson recon results from June 1:

156.350 Marine Ch 7 - Crew Boats
156.900 Marine Ch 18 - Traffic Control
156.950 Marine Ch 19 - tugs working
156.975 Marine Ch 79 - tugs working

Tugs heard in operation were the Sturgeon and the Washington, moving dredging barges around.

Spec

Thanks Dave on the marine channels . I have a project going and it will help in the planning.

wkredick

Can Marine channels be used for business operations? Or since the dredging is a EPA Mandated activity due it fall under authorized activity and use of the marine channels?

D

DaveNF2G

It is a government operation, coordinated by the NYS Department of Transportation. Private companies involved are under contract to the government.

Spec

Can Marine channels be used for business operations?

Absolutely if they are on the water and a commercial vessel. All the noted channels above are designated for commercial traffic. The barges will be moved by tugs and using marine vhf will facilitate safe passage for other vessels transiting the canal. All vessels involved will also (supposed to) monitor Ch. 16. I would also keep an ear on Ch.13.

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

I don't remember which channel number it is, maybe 13 as Spec has mentioned, but there is a Champlain Canal lock (7) in the affected area, so there might be occasional related traffic on the bridge-to-lock channel as well.

Spec

Thanks for the answers.Might be boating up that ways next week,will have to monitor Marine channels for activity.
A small excerpt from GE's NTM handout :
BOATING SAFETY
In order to ensure safe boating when traveling near the work sites on the Hudson River
and in the Champlain Canal, all boaters should adhere to the following guidelines:
• All boaters entering or using the Hudson River from Rogers Island to Griffin Island
or the Champlain Canal between Lock C6 and Lock C8 are directed to contact the
project’s vessel traffic center (VTC) on VHF Channel 18A for transit information,
as work areas change daily. The center will be staffed whenever dredging is occurring.
Vessels are to contact the locks on Channel 13 for locking through direction.
• Boat speed should not exceed 5 MPH around the work areas. Keep a safe distance from
all project activities and workers – do not approach them. The navigational channel is
clearly marked, as well as any changes to it.

wkredick

Thanks.I did not go as far North as I had planned.On a side note,our Village drinking water is now being pumped over from Troy ( we have to buy it from Troy now!) to prevent any chances of PCBs being in our water from the dredging.Ain't life grand?! Thanks GE! Bringing good things to light!

riveter

Premium Subscriber
FYI, to the one who asked about commercial traffic use, that's used for real shipping stuff. Position reports and company calls for major oceangoing shipping is almost exclusively made by civil SATCOM.

Status
Not open for further replies.