Places that Do Not Exist

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveNF2G

Some of the dispatchers in my part of the state talk very fast, and others mumble. Some do both. There have not been many problems that I have heard with units getting to the scene of calls, but then they have the "rip-n-run" CAD printouts to go by. I wonder what would happen if everyone had to understand their dispatches by ear only.

I'm not referring to the occasional dropped syllable (which is bad enough), but to information such as place names that are made to sound like completely different words.

Some examples:

Prince - After listening to the detailed info on the call given to units enroute, I figured out that this was Corinth (Saratoga County).

At least a couple of Rensselaer County dispatchers seem to think that they work in a place called Trinnyer. My map and the FCC licenses say Troy, New York.

What are your favorite nonexistent or mangled place names? New York only please; it will be interesting to see how widespread this speed-talking type of dispatch is in the state.

gothamite

Suggest you listen to almost any NYPD frequency. You'll get more examples than you can handle!!

ff026

Feed Provider
my favorite are 2 places in the Bronx that the "Central" constantly put over wrong:

1. Rochambeau Avenue = Rock-em-booey, its priceless i must have asked one girl one night 5 times to 10-5 the address i was laughing so hard.
2. Kings College Place = King Cole Place, they read it wrong out of the SPRINT. In the SPRINT it is abbreviated but they never pick up on that. Priceless

gothamite

You mean the poor diction, grammatical structure and lack of knowledge and pronunciation of various streets by some of the dispatchers? Naaah!

No, you're describing the two or three best dispatchers in the system. I mean all the others!

c0untyb0y

not a location, but an agency!

what's the concatenation of Camden Ambulance? In Oneida County it's "Cambulance." I kid you not! the one or two of the fire dispatchers here use that phrase on the air sometimes to refer to that agency.

then there are all of these "medal mergencies" we get dispatched too. it's almost like a contest to hear who can get their dispatch out in the fastest time!

yeah, thank goodness for rip-n-run.

FrankRaffa

In Queens, Sutphin Blvd (SUT-fin) gets mangled as Suftin Blvd.

In Brooklyn, Westminster Road gets an extra syllable, Westminister Road. Also, Marconi Place occasionally gets called Macaroni Place (sacrilege!)

uvfd67

A few towns and fire districts in Dutchess County pronounced a little differently than they actually are.

Amenia becomes Menia
Red Hook becomes Redook
New Hamburg becomes Namburg
New Hackensack becomes Nackensack

ff026

Feed Provider
another good one "central" always mixes up Marion Ave and Marmion Ave and vice versa

storm777

Premium Subscriber
Back in the early 70s when Utica FD dispatched Oneida county fire, Willowvale would come out sounding like "Lyeville", "Louieville" and the like. Had me confused as hell, a preteen boy trying to come to grips with his new discovery on his Patrolman-6 multiband radio *laughs* I must have tore up a dozen maps looking for "Louieville*...

And hey C0untyB0y, I hear ya loud and clear on Oneida Co 911 with Camden Amb!!!

And we STILL hear "RUCK-ter" instead of "RUT-ger" in Utica PD/FD dispatch. Been hearing THAT since the early 70s. But y'still gotta love how Camdenites pronounce their village name--it is "CAYYYUMMDEN", not "CAM-den"...but I don't mind that because Camden is a nice village with cool people *smiles*

And if I might borrow from Jeff Foxworthy a little, you know you are an Oneida County native when you pronounce Vienna "vye-ANNA" instead of "VEE-anna"! Even the WKTV anchors pronounce it as "VYE-anna"...

I am sure that once I relax and think about it, there will be more novel pronounciations from Utica, especially when the dispatchers hail from "Easchoodica"--yanno, out on da block where dey sell sangwitches *winks*

Great thread guys!!

wkredick

Not sure if Dave catches this or not, but one of our Waterford dispatchers ( Village level) likes to add an "a" before most agencies and place names.
So " Waterford Fire/Water Rescue,Motorola Vehicle Accicent ,Broad and River Rd" becomes " A Waterford Fire/ A Waterford Rescue, A Motor Vehicle Accident, A Broad and a River Rd".
It sounds stupid.

N2JDS

Motorola Vehicle Accident

Not sure if Dave catches this or not, but one of our Waterford dispatchers ( Village level) likes to add an "a" before most agencies and place names.
So " Waterford Fire/Water Rescue,Motorola Vehicle Accicent ,Broad and River Rd" becomes " A Waterford Fire/ A Waterford Rescue, A Motor Vehicle Accident, A Broad and a River Rd".
It sounds stupid.

What exactly is a Motorola Vehicle Accident ? Was it their Tech Repair truck?

crashcrew

Premium Subscriber
NYPD dispatcher once pronounced Massachusetts Avenue on Staten Island as MUH-SAT-CHU-SETS. Can't make this s**t up :roll:

"10-5 that location??" :lol:

crashcrew

Premium Subscriber
In Queens, Sutphin Blvd (SUT-fin) gets mangled as Suftin Blvd.

In Brooklyn, Westminster Road gets an extra syllable, Westminister Road. Also, Marconi Place occasionally gets called Macaroni Place (sacrilege!)

And don't forget Schenck Avenue in Brooklyn........."Skank Avenue"

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Dutchess polling self-reference: Dushnineone

And a priceless conversation I was sitting on in Brooklyn a while back (postable as no topical conversation is included and any transmission regarding this is no longer relevant to an old case):
Central: Iregards to?
HM4: housinmobil fo'.
C: Iregards to?
HM4: (completely unintelligible explanation)
C: ri, wetry gettemoncallback iregards to and hava unit geddova to.
HM4: copy, ETA?
C: twennyfimin.

Strangely gets the job done- it's a huge change being down there though, because they have so much traffic they can't afford to be slow and understandable like up here.

Howdy, Union Vale FD.

SKYNET156

Duplicate account of Tom Sherman
Banned
Errrmm...Citywide dispatchers are the best...

Example :

Dispatcher : 1560 broadway
IMPACT post : do you know the cross central?
Central : Somewhere on broadway

or

FDNY Manhattan Central

Dispatcher : Box is somewhere on 13th st
Responders : Do you know the exact address central?
Dispatcher : I spilled coffee on the print out, it will be a min

I would love if my house was burning down and they couldn't find me because coffee was spilled on my print out to where i am located,

i've heard many things listening to NYPD and FDNY over the last 5 years, and each time i thought it was bad enough with the dispatchers,
It gets worst...

gothamite

All these stories do have an element of humor, assuming that no one got hurt and no property was destroyed - BUT - it shouldn't be up to the RMP crew or the MOP to have to translate the dispatcher's speech. Someday, somewhere, someone , whether an MOS or civilian doesn't matter, is going to get hurt or killed because of poor diction, lack of a dispatcher's area familiarity or a similarily avoidable situation. I've never understood why FDNY has FAD's who speak intelligibly, know their areas and don't usually get flustered, even during the busiest times, and I include here the 911 Events. FD units in the field do not play with the radios, make rude and unprofessional remarks and otherwise create unnecessary traffic which can override emergency transmissions from other units. PD dispatchers seem incapable of keeping track of their division's RMP's, getting timely dispositions, knowing who is available for jobs, controling the frequencies and introducing any measure of radio discipline among the comparatively few knuckleheads who will eventually be responsible for an MOS or a civilian being injured.

captncarp

Nothing sounds more stupid than starting EVERY transmission with "BEE ADVISED" which is standard all over Orange County and is a waste of air time. Now the latest craze is to acknowledge everything by saying "Copy".

radiomanNJ1

What you guys are saying is that more encryption is needed so you don't make fun in your absolutely perfect world where you never make any mistakes. If I was a chief and I saw this kind of fun being poked at my agency, I would be on the phone with the radio shop getting a quote.
This is one of the things like it or not that drives encryption. I know some of you will say no way that can't be. Think of it as a chief and not a scanner dweb.

Status
Not open for further replies.