palisades parkway pd

Status
Not open for further replies.

HQradio

does anyone have the frequency/tone for palisades parkway police? i cant seem to find it anywhere.
thanks in advance.

n2nov

From the BergenScanner website:
http://bergenscanner.com/njsp.shtml

Palisades Interstate Police
Frequency Description PL/DPL
155.4525 New Jersey Patrol D265
154.8900 New York Patrol 151.4
156.1050 Administration 151.4
37.9400 Maintenance ?
155.4300 Northern Valley Police D612
154.1600 Northern Valley Fire/Ambulances 71.9
154.7250 Rockland County,NY Police 151.4

Last edited:

ff026

Feed Provider
Actually it is NY & NJ. In NY the parkway is covered by the NYSP Troop F Haverstraw

D

DaveNF2G

Actually it is NY & NJ. In NY the parkway is covered by the NYSP Troop F Haverstraw

...as listed on NF2G's Forensic Scannist Pages.

SCANdal

Silent Key
I'm going to try and fix this for good now...

From the BergenScanner website:
Bergenscanner.com - New Jersey Statewide Frequencies

Palisades Interstate Police
Frequency Description PL/DPL
155.4525 New Jersey Patrol D265
154.8900 New York Patrol 151.4
156.1050 Administration 151.4
37.9400 Maintenance ?
155.4300 Northern Valley Police D612
154.1600 Northern Valley Fire/Ambulances 71.9
154.7250 Rockland County,NY Police 151.4
Gentlemen,

I want to apoligize upfront for digging up a nearly month old thread, but with work being as difficult as it has been of late, I haven't had the time to stay abreast of the goings-on here...

I'd like to try and end the confusion for once and for all regarding the Palisades Interstate Park system. The system, as the name implies, runs between the states of New York (covering parts of the counties of Rockland, Orange, Sullivan, and Ulster) and New Jersey (covering parts of northeastern Bergen County). Portions of the system in Bergen, Rockland, and Orange are tied together by a roadway commonly called the "Pip" (the Palisades Interstate Parkway).

In New York, the park system is overseen by the Palisades Region (aka the New York Section of the PaIisades Interstate Park Commission) of the Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation (a part of the State's Executive Department).
The park lands and properties are patrolled by Region 8 of the New York State Park Police (a part of the OPR&HP). They operate on 154.890R (151.4). Listen for their dispatcher, "Bear Mountain."
Care and maintenance of the lands and properties (including the forest rangers) is handled on 37.940 (csq). Note that the rangers are also capable of the police repeater (as are a number of other agencies, i.e. EnCon Police, local ambulance corps, etc.) for coordination purposes.

The Palisades Interstate Parkway is primarily patrolled, as mentioned elsewhere on the thread, by Troop F/Zone 2 units of the New York State Police, specifically from the SP Haverstraw barracks. Their radio plan is as follows:

Troop F: 155.535 (csq) [bases-to-units] / 154.935 (146.2) [unit-to-bases]
F2 Car-to-car: 154.665 (110.9)
F3 State Channel: 154.695 (bases csq, units 110.9)
F4 Tactical: 155.565 (79.7)
F5 Police Statewide: 155.370

Be aware that Region 8 Park Police units often will conduct enforcement activties on the far upper end of the PI Parkway, so do not be surprized to see vehicles stopped on the shoulders by white police cars with green stripes instead of dark blue police cars with yellow stripes north of exit 17 or so.

Also be aware that both Region 8 (8F## units) and SP Haverstraw (2F##) units are also capable of the Rockland Sheriff's "County" channel, 154.725R (151.4) to communicate with other law enforcement agencies in the county.

Care and maintenace of the Palisades Interstate Parkway itself is performed by Region 8-6 units of the New York State Department of Transportation (when not contracted out to the lowest bidder, like mowing has been this season); in other words, for example, the Bookstore in the center mall north of Exit 16 is maintained by the OPR&HP, but the north and southbound roadways on either side are maintained by the DoT. Their channel plan is as follows:

47.040 (179.9) [base-to-units/unit-to-unit] / 47.400 (192.8) [units-to-base]
47.220 (123.0) [mobile-to-mobile]
47.320 (123.0) [portable-to-portable]

Now, in New Jersey...the New Jersey portion of the Palisades Interstate Park system and Palisades Interstate Parkway (that from a bit north of Exit 4 on south to its terminus at Lemoine Avenue in Fort Lee) are both patrolled by the Palisades Interstate Parkway Police Department, who operate on 155.4525R (265). Care and maintenance of the park facilities and the parkway is performed by the New Jersey Section of Palisades Interstate Park Commission, who operate of 156.105 (151.4). As an aside, there are no forest rangers under the NJ Section of PI Park Commision, therefore firefighting, etc. is handled by the fire departments covering their respective portions of the park/parkway (thus a possible reason for the incorrect references to "Northern Valley..." in the quote above).

I hope that this helps to clear up any confusion. For more detailed information click around New York State Parks :: Palisades Region and Palisades Interstate Park - NJ Section As always, any corrections or questions are always welcome.

Best wishes,

SCANdal

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
For anyone interested in the Rockland section of the Parkway, it's important to monitor the countywide PD interagency repeater on 154.725 (151.4). Not only do the Troop F Haverstraw cars run most of their data checks on that frequency, but you will also hear quite a few incidents given out by "Headquarters" (44-Control).

The reason for this is two-fold:

Firstly, all cellular 911 calls within Rockland's borders go directly to 44-Control. This explains why you will hear "Headquarters to any SP unit on the Parkway" so often. They will generally try to raise a Troop car directly on the air just prior to calling SP Monroe to give them the details. The troop cars will then switch to their frequency to notify Monroe of the call if they haven't already gotten it.

Secondly, there is no longer a dispatcher at the Rockland barracks. In the past, you had someone sitting at the desk in West Nyack "Palisades" and later Mt Ivy "Haverstraw". This is no longer the case, SP Monroe is now the desk for the Rockland units, and they operate via remote transmitter on Cheesecote Mtn in Pomona.

Fire protection on the Rockland section of the Parkway is provided by the local fire departments where the roadway runs through their areas, and are dispatched on 46.18 (131.8) by 44-Control. This coverage extends from the NY/NJ state line all the way up to the Bear Mountain Circle. Once you get into Orange County, Fort Montgomery FD picks up fire protection from Stony Point FD, dispatched on 154.205 (123.0) and operating on 46.16 (123.0). Quite often both depts will respond depending on the nature of the call and if the location is unclear as to which county it's actually in.

EMS protection on the Rockland section of the Parkway is provided by the local EMS agencies where the roadway runs through their areas, not unlike the fire protection. EMS in Rockland is dispatched by the local police departments, so the frequencies vary. All five towns have a piece of the Parkway.

Hope this expands a bit on SCANdal's thorough info, at least for the Rockland section of the PIP.

Last edited:

SCANdal

Silent Key
Let's see...police, fire, EMS, plows, HELP...I think we've covered it all.

One small correction: Fort Montgomery FD uses 46.300 (123.0) for operations.

I didn't want to stray into that area, since the original post was regarding policing of the Parkway, but since you've mentioned it...

(Note that all boundaries are approximate)
George Washington Bridge up to before Exit 1: Fort Lee Ambulance (155.205, 114.8)
Exit 1 up to Exit 2: Englewood Cliffs Ambulance (155.205, 114.8)
Exit 2 to NY/NJ border: Closter Vol. Ambulance and Rescue Corps (154.160, 71.9 Dispatch; 155.265, 71.9 Operations)
Advanced life support services for the NJ Section of the PIP are dispatched by "MICCom" on 155.175, 100.0.

NY/NJ border to exit 7 is in Orangetown. EMS dispatched by "301" on 155.160, 151.4
Exit 7 up thru Exit 11 is in Clarkstown. EMS dispatched by "201" on 155.160, 151.4
Area of Exit 12 is in Ramapo. EMS dispatched by "401" on 155.355, 151.4
Exits 13 thru 14 is in Haverstraw. EMS dispatched by "501" on 155.175, 151.4
Exit 15 to the county line is in Stony Point. EMS dispatched by "601" on 155.175, 136.5

From the County line to the Queensboro traffic circle (and on toward the Long Mountain Pkwy and Seven Lakes Drive) is in Woodbury. EMS dispatched on 158.835R, 136.5. {Fire operations on 154.295, 110.9}.
From Exit 18 (and from the Queensboro traffic circle) to the Bear Mountain (Bridge) traffic circle is in Highlands. EMS dispatched by Orange County on 157.450, 136.5; Operations on 153.860R, 77.0; and unit-to-unit on 158.940, 151.4.

Of course, any ultraorthodox Jews injured on the PIP will be contacting Hatzolah, so monitor 159.885R, 074 for their radio traffic in Rockland and 155.955R, 110.9 in Orange.

There you have it. Just about every frequency you might need to listen to while plying the Parkway or enjoying the parklands. The only things missing are the franchise tow trucks - and most of those are probably using NexTels (just like the NYSDoT HELP trucks are) - and the FRS frequencies to listen to the sometimes interesting car-to-car or motorcycle-to-motorcycle radio traffic during some of the convoys you might see going up and down the 'pip. So much for those so called "privacy" tones; gosh, I hate it when the public's misled.

As always, corrections and comments are invited,

SCANdal

P.S.
To satisfy you pain-in-the-butt technical purists out there...yes, the ramps to and from the Parkway at Exit 9 (which is NYS Thruway Exit 13) are covered by NYSP Troop T units....soooo.... add 453.425R (97.4) - Thruway Channel A, and 458.525 (97.4) Thruway Channel 5/unit-to-unit to the police frequency list in my original post.

FaFa!

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin

One small correction: Fort Montgomery FD uses 46.300 (123.0) for operations.

Sorry, I should've been more specific...I meant the primary frequency for communications with 36-Control after dispatch on VHF. If we were to start listing all the various fireground frequencies used along the length of the PIP, we'd be here all day! :D

To that end, both Stony Point FD and Fort Montgomery FD have each others low band frequencies in their radios, and you will often hear "Stony Point Car 18-1" on 46.16, as well as "Fort Montgomery Car 1" on 46.18.

I also wasn't going to post the FD/EMS info being the thread title states "PD", but I figured what the heck, anyone searching the NY forum for "Palisades Parkway" may be looking for that info as well (in the same spirit you posted the info about the Parkway maintenance agencies).

jaymatt1978

I have to add this to my website however my main computer is on the fritz and I have no idea when I'll be back up and running! I do have one comment in my defense though I put "Northern Valley Police" on the Palisades Interstate Parkway list because they DO have each other's frequencies, however I didn't make that clear. I have to admit that page on my site needs a lot of work. Maybe when I get back up a running full speed I'll work on it

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Oops, I just realized I goofed and stated the NYSP Troop F transmitter in Rockland is on Cheesecote Mtn, which is incorrect. It's actually on Jackie Jones Mtn 41.224379, -74.069401

Status
Not open for further replies.