will i still beable to listen to the fdny

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt3320

hi just wondering if i will still beable to listen to the fdny in pa where i live when they where on vhf i could listen to them i the summer when the skip was rolling in will i still be able to here them on the new uhf system.

n2nov

hi just wondering if i will still beable to listen to the fdny in pa where i live when they where on vhf i could listen to them i the summer when the skip was rolling in will i still be able to here them on the new uhf system.

It will be extremely difficult to hear the UHF signals in PA based on the physics of VHF signals vs UHF signals. Also, as leaves come in on the trees the signals will diminish further as they are larger vs the UHF wavelength size as opposed to VHF (ratio of 3 to 1 for VHF to UHF).

matt3320

just want to say that i am able to listen to fdny nypd in se pa with a gre amp and grove scanner beam hook up on a tripod on the kicten table . here are the frequcies that i was able to here today a 901 am .

476.5875 m17
478.0125 citywide
476.71250 qn 104/112 precincts
482.88750 si 120 precinct
470.7375 det 1 and also the new fdny 480 comms thank you all

n2nov

just want to say that i am able to listen to fdny nypd in se pa with a gre amp and grove scanner beam hook up on a tripod on the kicten table . here are the frequcies that i was able to here today a 901 am .

476.5875 m17
478.0125 citywide
476.71250 qn 104/112 precincts
482.88750 si 120 precinct
470.7375 det 1 and also the new fdny 480 comms thank you all

Not bad, Matt. I'm wondering if some of that is because of the unusually good tropo openings along the eastern seaboard this summer. Were you able to snag these signals in the winter or spring?

n2nov

does anyone know what caused the fdny to swicth from 154 mhz to the 488 mhz band?

It was discussed in the late 90's as the "one radio" project.

At that time, FDNY (and others like Parks) were on VHF, PD and EMS on UHF, OEM and some others on the 800 trunking system. An OEM repsonder had to carry three Moto Sabers just to be able to interface with the various agencies that might be on the scene of an emergency. The various agencies had the same problem. In March of 2001 FD was testing UHF portables for fireground simplex ops using P25, but it failed miserably. The radios were pulled within the first week and were switched to analog for testing by an EMS command in the South Bronx and by another on Staten Island. The results of the tests were submitted in early August of 2001. The radios were to be reprogrammed back to FD fireground in analog mode and given to the firehouses in October. Unfortunately, 9/11 happened before they were given a chance. It has taken alot of finger pointing and "interop" planning with new federal dollars to get them to this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.