What Do You Listen To?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmstern

I am new to the scanning community, only about 2 weeks. I live in The Bronx and I have found there is so much to listen to out there. I can scan the 5 Boroughs and Westchester and Long Island.

Currently, I monitor mostly to the Bronx Police Precincts, Fire Dispatch; Westchester Town PDs and Fire; NY State Police; and a few New York City-wide agencies.

There is so much to listen to in the Big Apple, what do your like to monitor?

kevin390

I live on the Ulster-Orange County line. I listen to State Police , both Counties EMS, Fire and Police. Ulster County is alot quieter then Orange County. The City of Newburgh is usually busy and with the Town of Newburgh, Lowe's, Home Depot and Wal-Mart keeps them busy. Lots of shoplifting, fights and purse snatchings..............Ray

maalox

all nyc. sod. school pd. manh and bk transit pd. doitt channels. bk ems. hwy pd .air sod. cg... cw 3 . cw ems. etc. pmstern what kind of scanner do you have.

Last edited:

pmstern

You listen to many frequencies. I am trying to minimize what I am listening to for now and then eventually as I get more experienced I will broaden my monitoring spectrum.

I just purchased a Uniden BC246T handheld scanner. I like it very much. It is really small and powerful. I have learned to program the conventional systems, I just need to figure out the trunking systems. I haven't quite grasped it yet.

Rudy3145

Feed Provider
my wife bi tching at me!

seriously, Suffolk & Nassau Counties fire/ems/PD. FDNY & NYPD SOD. USCG 16

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
From over in Jersey, the NYFD and PD, I just put in the ones listed as central dispatches...too much traffic even on them so I never bother enabling all the local precincts. Half the time FD and PD sound like an open mic there's so much traffic. Fun to listen to though.

One of the nicest things with the new 396XT is that it does CTCSS as some of the local county frequencies collide with NYC and now all the NYC traffic is blocked so I can monitor the local county stuff again.

pmstern

I have been slowly adding new frequencies into my scanner. I have found some of the Federal and Airport frequencies to be disappointing -- no action and poor reception.

Also, I added Yonkers, but I only get static from their frequenices. Anyone else have luck with Yonkers. I do get other Westchester towns further away than Yonkers so I don'y understand the problem.

I have yet to add a trunked system to my radio. Any recommendations out there. I live in The Bronx.

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
anything happens in your local area preceints will air on sod..

Thanks for that tip. I enabled them and the citywides in general, now with just a handful of channels I can hear what I want 'over there' when the mood strikes.

nyscan

Also, I added Yonkers, but I only get static from their frequenices. Anyone else have luck with Yonkers. I do get other Westchester towns further away than Yonkers so I don'y understand the problem.
You will not get Yonkers PD with your scanner. They are on a digital system. You would need a scanner (more expensive) that decodes digital systems.

ansky

You will not get Yonkers PD with your scanner. They are on a digital system. You would need a scanner (more expensive) that decodes digital systems.

But Yonkers FD is analog on 484.7125. You should be able to hear a lot of activity on there. And they have a great signal. I can pick it up all the way from West Orange, NJ loud and clear.

pmstern

Ansky, thanks for the frequency. I will check to see if i have the correct one programmed, I get nothing from Yonkers including the FD. I now know why I am not getting the Yonkers PD.

I work in Yonkers, that is why I am interested in the City. I am waiting to hear when my workplace burns down! LOL!

Anyone know if the same goes for Greenburgh, can't get them either?

NYCRADIO

if you wanna hear some good action over the radio for nypd listen to 73/75pct -

Com-Tech51H8

bureaucratic absence of presence.
Premium Subscriber
i listen to City of albany fire and police
city of rensselaer fire and police
town of East Greenbush PD
rensselaer county 800
Albany County FD and Ems
NYSP
And other commercail Ems agencies

jleverin

Not much anymore around here, since most everyone has went to DTRS system. I can only recieve fire dispatch and the local SRDA buses and cab. Once fire is called out they switch to "med channel or tac channel" which is on the other system and not available anymore. No police or sheriff anymore, CO state patrol has never been on my scanners. It has gotten so boring I programmed one of my scanners to just pick up the ham repeaters in the area. I cannot afford at this time to spend the $500 to buy a Pro 106 or equivalent. So I resort to listening online or just monitoring the ham channels. I am currently saving my cash for when I get my General Class license to buy a HF ham radio, which incidently cost about the same as a scanner that can pick up DTRS. Maybe someday I'll be able to buy another scanner, don't know.......

auxscan

i have three scanners and two radios.
RS PRO-82: this scanner is on cw sod
RS PRO-97: this scanner on bk ems
RS-PRO163: scans ny, nj and Li.
Vertex vx-800 uhf: this radio on the local pct in my area in brooklyn. RX only on public safety. used in my part-time job as security.
Motorola saber 1e vhf: scans fd, transit pd, mta and murs channels.

scannersnstuff

i assume you want ny stuff. from over on the jersey coast side.

nypd citywide input. to hear the aviation.

i have one bank in one scanner dedicated to "big stuff nyc". i have all the hot nyc frequencies in there.

i occasionally enjoy listening to nypd citywide <sod> and a few of the jfk aero.frequencies. at select time's of the day it get's very busy around here with kennedy traffic.

sc800

All Orange County agencies PD/FD/EMS
Ulster County Polling
Dutchess County Polling
State Police Troops F, T, K
Newton NJ PD and EMS

will probably add more when I get my new scanner for X-mas (PRO-106 or equivalent object oriented scanner)

Status
Not open for further replies.