Rochester NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

pancho51

It appears that all of the police frequencies in the Monroe County area of New York are not functioning on my Bearcat Scanner. Does anyone know what's going on?

stevez97

Premium Subscriber
All law enforcement in Monroe county communications are going to be digital (not analog.) If you have an analog scanner, you will not be able to monitor these communications anymore. I have not monitored much today, but the little I DID monitor, I do not believe they have "flipped the switch" on the digital as of yet. What model scanner do you have? BTW.......I am located in Hilton.

GSPD

As of today, the local PD's made the switch to digital. Those with analog radios will need to upgrade!

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
All law enforcement in Monroe county communications are going to be digital (not analog.) I have not monitored much today, but the little I DID monitor, I do not believe they have "flipped the switch" on the digital as of yet.

The switch was flipped yesterday morning beginning at around 03:30. When I left work at 06:00, they had not gotten the city switched over, but the Sheriff and towns were pretty much done. It was rather sad to de-program the channels out of my analog scanner one-by-one as they switched to digital.

I only have a few Monroe County UHF police frequencies left in my old analog handheld now, but all of them are squawking "digital, digital, digital!" at me at the moment. That includes both RPD primary dispatches and Sheriff's dispatch.

If any of the police channels are still analog, they are either channels that are not part of the county's system licensed and used by individual PD's or there is a tech glitch. If it is a tech problem, it will be very temporary.

Either way, the move is a done deal

d_strong

Yes, The BC246T is a analog scanner if you want to monitor the digital system in Monroe County you need to upgrade your scanner to a digital scanner. I would check the forum classifieds or E-Bay you may find a used digital scanner out there that would meet yor needs without having to spend alot on a new digital scanner. Until you find a digital scanner check out the live audio on this site you can listen to the new digital system on the live audio feed. http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?ctid=1852

Last edited:

pancho51

Thanks

Thanks for the help - i was afraid of your reply. Just bought the thing a year ago - pretty much useless to me now. Thanks again

nesnet

Just purchased a GRE PSR-600 digital scanner, and it works great on the Monroe County, NY system. Wanted to let you know that the PSR-600 handles P-25 very well and (using the PC) is simple to program. Everything is back to normal.

Dumped my analog scanners on eBay (they still bring decent bucks, but why anyone would buy one now is beyond me).

Can someone confirm that Monroe County is a Motorola system? Any technical details?

Thanks to NF2G for his frequent and accurate updates.

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Not sure what brand radios they are using. All I know is it is conventional P-25 UHF, and that when I head up there in a short while, will be able to monitor on my PRO-96. Once I am settled in up there will scoop out the unknows if they are still unknowns by then and submit for us here and for our forensic scannist, Dave. :)

AlexC

Database Admin
Can someone confirm that Monroe County is a Motorola system?

The equipment is all Motorola.

By "system" it is a conventional simulcast system - it is not a trunked system if that's what your getting at.

-Alex

nesnet

Thanks for the confirmation on equipment.

Has anyone seen any additional information on the system, from a newspaper article or PR puff piece from the county? Either I completely missed it, or it received hardly any coverage. Point me to an article.

Interested in models of portable and mobiles.

The overall quality is a huge improvement over their old G.E. equipment.

Last edited:

amesmis

Hello All I am 100% new to Digital scanners . I have 2 Very old analog only Unidens that are useless now that the County and City have switched over police to digital. I am trying to learn as I go but am finding this digital confusing with all the terms and acronyms. What model scanners are out there that are compatible with the new digital system in use now for Monroe County and what is a good source of info to learn about this new system. From what I gather the old days of just entering and Freq. and saving it are pretty much gone and you have to completely program these new scanners based on the bands you are using?

Thanks for any feedback

nesnet

I found the process to be simple and painless. Bought a GRE PSR-600, used NF2G's excellent frequency table (which includes the digital codes)... and was back on immediately. It will also search out and display the P25 information if it is unknown to the user, a very nice feature.

The PSR-600 also handles trunking, analog with or without PL/DPL (so you can still listen to EMS & Fire), AM for aircraft -- and, best of all, is PC compatible. Just did my first firmware update (easy)... and bought ARC500 software (inexpensive), which makes fast work of programming. ARC500 even facilitates importing frequency data from this site. GRE includes the special USB programming cable with the radio.

Switching over requires no technical knowledge. Now MC Sheriff (+ NY State Police units with access) and RPD are loud and clear, with significantly improved audio. The digital radio system is as legible as a phone conversation.

I posted a sample of the digital audio here: GRE PSR-600 PRS600 Digital Scanner – P25 Audio on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The sample is mixed with a analog transmission (Pittsford School District's UHF Transportation repeater), and then reverts back to P25.

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
I have found some motorboating on the (SO Interop CH) and on (LAW North) other than those two I have rarely had any issues yet. Was cool listening to both the Fire freqs, and the P-25 Law freqs when an apt across from us had a big kitchen fire the other day. Brockport, Holley, and Bridgeport FD's responded fast and got it out quickly which is a good thing since apt fires tend to very quickly get out of control.

D

DaveNF2G

You mean Spencerport? The nearest Bridgeport is in Cayuga County. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.