Andes, NY VHF???

Status
Not open for further replies.

MFR465

OK, so here's the deal... I was at my place in Grand Gorge this past weekend and while heading back into the village from Stamford and passing Mountain Ave. on Route 23 (which is directly under the shadow of the Utsayantha Tower) I was clearly receiving transmissions simulcasted off 46.06 and broadcasting Andes units on 154.355 operating at an MVA in Franklin on Route 28 near Route 357. I was receiving both sides of the conversation on the VHF channel. Now, I'm not sure if this is an actual simulcast or if it's just because I was sitting underneath a huge antenna farm and transmitter site.

Anyone with intel on this???

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
The closest licensee is Delaware County, transmitter is located 17 mi from Stamford, then there is Otisville, about 60 mi. I suspect a image of some type being that close to the tower, if it was being transmitted from that tower at all. I havn't check the pending licenses, maybe some thing new going in, or someone has a VRS rebroadcasting locally.

MFR465

Yeah, that's what I was figuring... where is the one 17 miles out of Stamford???

I just couldn't figure out how I was getting the simulcast of Delaware 911 *AND* their units on the road.

SMFD34

I know that some of the ambulances have mobile extenders in that area. I am not sure what frequencies they operate on but they have VHF portables in the truck and the mobiles have some sort of repeater channel in them also. I wish I could pin them down but I normally have other things to do when I see these things.

N2ZPY

Feed Provider
Most likely you were hearing Andes x-band repeater in their rescue truck. They were covering a MVA for my dept (Bovina) while we were mutual aid to a structure fire in Delhi. Franklin also had a MVA at around the same time. Our MVA was at the top of County hwy 5 looking down into Hobart/South Kortright area.

Kevin

N2ZPY

Feed Provider
No I don't have the PL......I didn't even have the freq until you mentioned it. If I can get the PC on their kenwoods at some point I will have it. You won't hear much activity on that freq anyway. It is in their rescue truck and only used when they are out on calls. You picked it up in Stamford because they were on top of the mtn in Bovina on that call.

Kevin

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Sounds like a reasonable conclusion, but that's one hell of a distance traveled for 100mw. Why are they not licensed? Or are they. or are they using a county license. I normally don't care, but when someone travels outside their normal operating area, these VRS's can play havac with licensed users.

D

DaveNF2G

100mw probably brings it under Part 15 of the FCC regulations.

N2ZPY

Feed Provider
Gotta be at least low power setting on a Kenwood 690/790 setup. I am guessing the 790 is the 110W deck. from 2500' elevation that will get out!

Kevin

D

DaveNF2G

Those who say that this is an unlicensed operation seem to be assuming that the mobile was transmitting on 46.06 or 154.355. A repeater has an input frequency. What is the input to the 154.355 repeater over which this traffic was heard? Is the unit in question licensed on that frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.