Will they try open sky again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
It depends on how much 'Palm Grease' MA/COM has left. Word is they are running out of it! :wink:

GTO_04

Harris also offers P25 systems. I don't think they would be very eager to sell new Open Sky systems when they can't even get the existing ones to work. They would probably prefer to just dump Open Sky if they could get away with it.

GTO_04

Warthog1

Silent Key
There is definitely nothing wrong with a Harris Radio. I just look at how good Onondaga Countys new system sounds, and figure it would be a better alternative. At any rate, I don't expect NY to make the right decision.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
State is just better off just staying with a VHF Convent. System, very simple, easy to maintain, and easier for people to use and understand

Spec

On my soap box

As we move further into the future we in emergency services require more information in a timely fashion. In order to do this at a fast rate we find that it works better at higher frequencies. Data transfers at lower frequencies such as 39 and 150 mHz for example can be accomplished but at a slow transfer rate. Ask any department that has done this. Putnam Co. S.O. for example. The requirements of departments are looking at a lot of data to be transferred quickly. This can range from DMV data with photo to building plans for fire department etc. In order to do this higher frequencies are required. A happy medium needs to be found. In the past many individual agencies were licensed in a hap-hazard way. Yes they were coordinated to some extent but no one saw the future and we now have this scattered mess in NY state. We have a very varied terrain and each area presents its own unique problems further complicated by international borders in some locations. The transfer of voice data while wonderful to the everyday scanner buff is great, but emergency services do need more. That's the reason for the radios folks. Will there be a new statewide system ? I would say yes some day after overcoming political and imperialistic problems. The equipment is here now . It can be done. SWEN didn't work for various reasons so should everything stop...no. Do we need a system that can work statewide , yes. Will everybody use it...most likely not. Whoever can predict the future would be best at answering that question, but wouldn't it be great to avail that capability to the areas that really could and would use it. An important lesson was learned in 2001 about the lack of interop capabilities. We need to stop being selfish and really find an answer . Other states with similar problems have solved many of the same problems we have so what is our problem ?

esfd283

There is definitely nothing wrong with a Harris Radio. I just look at how good Onondaga Countys new system sounds, and figure it would be a better alternative. At any rate, I don't expect NY to make the right decision.

Onondaga is not a Harris system. Not sure if you are aware of that or I just read the post wrong. They are using Motorola 7.X. Simulcast.

SCANdal

Silent Key
I can feel your pain...but am in no rush to make it go away...

Spec,

What is our problem? I'll tell you what is our problem in this state: Too many of the WRONG people in the right spots to make things happen. Too many incompetent boobs or, worse still, competent people with no balls to extend themselves by trying out something new and if it fails consider it a lesson learned - let's fall back to what worked and try something new again.

Data needs extend beyond building plans for FDs to hydrant location maps and mobile MSDS report availability (as opposed to having them sit in a binder somewhere back at the firehouse), among many, many other things. Further, the fire/rescue and emergency medical serivces, and especially law enforcement could stand to gain significant service improvements by enhancing the ability for mobile report preperation - as opposed to waiting to get to a station or hospital to document an event. So I'm in full support of a standard statewide system for data mobility. Here's the but...knowing how this state bungles everything (we're halfway through 2010 and a standard statewide ctcss tone STILL hasn't been declared yet for 155.370. New Jersey - as messed up as they are over there - at least has 131.8 for 154.680. They can get that right!), I personally would rather wait to see how the FCC's new Emergency Response Interoperability Center fleshes out before this state does anything relating to mobile data, broadband or otherwise.

SCANdal

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

In addition to what SCANdal says, a contributing problem is our state's constitution, which enshrines "home rule." NY can "declare" anything it wants to, including statewide channels, tones, or whatever, but no statewide standard is enforceable against any local entity that wishes to do something different.

I could cite numerous examples just in EMS communications from my days in the field and since. It's just the way things are done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.