Unidentified Stations - North Hudson, NY (Essex County)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LathamScan

Premium Subscriber
On Friday 6/4/10 we drove up to Alburgh, VT for the annual North Country Fire School. On the way we stopped at the High Peaks Rest Area on I-87 (North Hudson - coordinates 44-00-51N, 73-42-18W). I took some time and did some searching around with my PRO-97 receiver. Here is a list of some comm's that I couldn't identify:

150.890 - CTCSS 162.2 - simplex, tow trucks but no locations given.

152.285 - CTCSS 118.8 - Tone & Voice paging with a call for "Emergency Services" to respond to the community pool for an unknown emergency. Also may have been the initials "GDC"(?) as a location? Nothing else heard after that point.

155.340 - CTCSS 131.8 - repeater output. The repeater wasn't carrying voice traffic; it was just getting tripped by static. Is anyone in that region using a repeater for ambulance to hospital traffic?

159.495 - DCS 311 - simplex, truck to truck comms, signal was choppy.

456.2875 - CTCSS 167.9 - continuous carrier.

461.250 - CTCSS 162.2 - repeater output. Caught the end of the transmission; only heard the base clear.

461.4375 - CSQ - continuous data transmission. This may be Canadian as I have found other similiar sounding stations in the 460-462 and 411 MHz. range.

464.9375 - MotoTRBO repeater. I also hear this repeater pretty well in the Albany, NY area as well.

And the strangest logging here...

144.575 - CSQ - simplex. While at the rest area I saw a group of teenagers running around with Motorola HT's talking on them. A quick CloseCall search found them here, chatting in a foreign language that I would believe to be Hebrew (maybe Arabic?). I think the group was a tour group from Israel, based on the outfits the group was wearing. Before I thought of 'blowing my top' for illegal operation in the 2m ham band, I thought (a) maybe they are hams, I don't speak that language anyways so I really dont know what they are saying; (b) due to the fact the radios were Motorola radios and not typical ham gear, is this frequency a valid frequency used in their home country, and (c) maybe someone just set them up on that channel anyways.

More info to come as I get it logged in.

Kevin

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
If they were hams, you're still required to ID, in ENGLISH, every ten minutes. Could be pirating a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.