Verizon Command Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc800

I was driving past a Verizon yard and I saw this small truck that looked kind of like one of the normal repair trucks, but on the side it said something to the effect of "Public Service Special Event Communications".

Does anyone know what this truck is? Can a local municipality request it if they do not have a command post of their own.

For further info, the truck had a yellow strobe light on each corner of the roof, but as far as I could tell, no red or blue lights and nothing that shows it was connected to a specific town or city. I also didn't see any type of antennas on it.

jmv3085

Premium Subscriber
It has a bank of pay phones on each side, I have saw them at fairs around the capital region, not sure how to get them at your event.

AlexC

Database Admin
They also have vehicles which are set up more as a telephone command post that could be used as a PSAP for 911. They also have some land mobile radio interfaces on it but I don't really ask what the capabilities are. Seemed like a large semi with two push out sides with a lot of space in the middle for meetings or whatever.

-Alex

AlexC

Database Admin
They also have them at large sporting event to help alleviate cell site overload

Those are typically called COW or cells on wheels and might be different. If the OP could post a picture maybe it would better help us understand what it is they are referring to.

-Alex

sc800

I wasn't able to get a picture, since I only saw it while driving, but the truck looked like a 1980's or 1990's vintage telephone repair truck, with a window in the side of it. It was painted in the normal Verizon white paint scheme and it seemed very low-tech looking, but then again I didn't see the inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.