WARNING...PDs using INDIVIDUAL on NYCOMCO EDACS...

Status
Not open for further replies.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I feel it is necessary to post this because of the radio traffic that I've been hearing lately.

For all law enforcement agencies using NYCOMCO's 800 EDACS systems. I don't know if someone told you something different, but I want to explain to everyone that just because you are on a TAC channel, it doesn't mean that you cannot be heard. THE SAME GOES WITH CALLING ANOTHER UNIT ON "INDIVIDUAL." Current model scanners can easily listen to the conversation and additionally, it can display the radio ID or "LID" of the units in the conversation. So, stop cursing on the radio...so talking about that female you just pulled over...stop talking about the Chief...stop telling your buddy how much the dispatcher tonight sucks, etc. IT CAN ALL BE HEARD.

I'm just throwing it out there because I've talked to several friends who had no idea that they could be heard by scanner monitors when using individual even though they don't come across the talkgroup. I've even had a few that thought their TAC channel was secure. IT IS NOT.

News organizations monitor and record scanner traffic. They can very easily see the LID of the units talking and then easily find out who was working that shift.

So "heads up" and be warned. Don't get yourself jammed up over something easily prevented. Use the NEXTEL.

Just this past week I listened to the Town of Marlborough PD in Ulster County on individual and I won't repeat some of the things I heard. But it references some of the stop messages above...

Last edited by a moderator:

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
And I'm pretty sure NYCOMCO told them that no one could hear them on the "LID" mode

Thayne

So why tell em anything? How many times does LE tell everyday citizens what they want to know? :p

bezking

You need to call the Internal Affairs department of the agency where this is occurring if you are so concerned. Give them some recordings. It will stop quick.

sure,but if you drop a dime you may just be providing,even inadvertently reasoning for going to
encryption-digi voice,what ever the case may be,,
Yes the media can hear the comms,and they do nada,we are special,in the sense we can hear what most cannot.
we hear the stress in an officers voice when in a foot persuit of an armmed suspect,the dispatcher crying out for a location,,muffled foul language as a bad guy is taken down...

frankly,the last thing im going to yap about is some colorful adjectives,hear an F-Bomb and go all Ned Flanders on the local district..and speaking for myself,,ive got little time as it is,xtra is spent with my kids,,and the leftover is all mine for scannin!

ssd

You wate and see because u put them on blast. They all will go to the radio guy who setup there system. And say I want it encrypted now. Then u will be all mad they went encrypted. Don't rat on the cops

GTO_04

By complaining, all you are doing is giving them ammo to ask for encryption. Is that what you really want? If it offends you that much don't listen!

GTO_04

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
By complaining, all you are doing is giving them ammo to ask for encryption. Is that what you really want? If it offends you that much don't listen! GTO_04

e911god said:
I'm just throwing it out there because I've talked to several friends who had no idea that they could be heard by scanner monitors when using individual even though they don't come across the talkgroup. I've even had a few that thought their TAC channel was secure. IT IS NOT.

That is why I put it out there. Very little offends me, I'm just looking out for friends so they don't get jammed up because a certain vendor told them a bunch of B/S.

Encryption? Seriously...in this economy the PDs are lucky they can put gas in the car.

2m2z1t

Warning pds

e911 god-

They may not be able to put gas in the patrol car...but they...WILL encrypt. Especially when given a price break by the distributor. If you think not look in the database under Ohio, Hancock County, then scroll down to Findlay Police. Note the encryption. Findlay is a relatively small city of about 40-50 thousand. Their "reason" for encrypting was "officer safety" because of "criminals" listening to scanners. Please do us all a favor and keep what you hear to yourself...they need only the slighest excuse to encrypt....if they are friends of yours..and you want to keep them out of trouble...tell them personally. Thanks!!

Spec

The agency in question went to EDACS with the belief / promise it would not be able to be heard in the beginning. The mentality has long been to have an unmonitored system. There is no IA unit in that agency and it would only fuel the argument for "something" else that would keep the secrets. The officers involved most likely are part timers who have little or no clue about the radio system. I would suggest let it die. The officers involved most likely have been overheard by the chief already as I'm SURE he knows of the LID status.

JoeyC

If you have a complaint about officer conduct why wouldn't you register your complaint with the offending agency instead of posting on a hobbyist website? Police departments don't look to radioreference for advice in policy. This thread is a great example of what not to do as a monitoring enthusiast in light of increasing encryption and paranoia within government agencies.

RayAir

I don't know, but I think if I discovered something like this I would keep my mouth shut.

Kind of like when a PD somewhere was using simplex 2M frequencies for confidential conversations and someone filed an FCC complaint. BAM! Lost that source of interesting scanner listening!

D

DaveNF2G

NYCOMCO isn't the only shop that has sold EDACS to a police agency based on the promise that it would not be monitorable. Troy PD believed for some time that their radios were all digital.

radiomanNJ1

Let's say I am chief of some agency using this system. I now go to my town board with your quote telling the board I must have encryption since people are listening.

STOP telling the world what you heard on the radio. You give more reason to encrypt. Not only is it bad for the rest of us scanner listeners but it may be against the law. I do not want to get into a debate but I surely don't want more agencies going encrypted or mototrbo.

I feel it is necessary to post this because of the radio traffic that I've been hearing lately.

For all law enforcement agencies using NYCOMCO's 800 EDACS systems. I don't know if someone told you something different, but I want to explain to everyone that just because you are on a TAC channel, it doesn't mean that you cannot be heard. THE SAME GOES WITH CALLING ANOTHER UNIT ON "INDIVIDUAL." Current model scanners can easily listen to the conversation and additionally, it can display the radio ID or "LID" of the units in the conversation. So, stop cursing on the radio...so talking about that female you just pulled over...stop talking about the Chief...stop telling your buddy how much the dispatcher tonight sucks, etc. IT CAN ALL BE HEARD.

News organizations monitor and record scanner traffic. They can very easily see the LID of the units talking and then easily find out who was working that shift.

So "heads up" and be warned. Don't get yourself jammed up over something easily prevented. Use the NEXTEL.

Just this past week I listened to the Town of Marlborough PD in Ulster County on individual and I won't repeat some of the things I heard. But it references some of the stop messages above...

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Isn't there some kind of law that prohibits a scanner listener from repeating what they heard on the scanner for their gain or something that would cause harm? Something under the communications act or something.
I'm probably mistaken

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Enough already...

It isnt a scanner enthusiasts place to chastise the police about radio etiquette, I believe they can handle that in house... And even if it was our job, this is not the proper venue to lodge such a complaint.

If you want to complain, call the agency or the FCC.

Status
Not open for further replies.