The Thruway I-90

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a house along a busy road in Mercer County, Far
Does anyone have a FreeScan file that you can send my way for the Thruway (state police) from the state line over to Syracuse. I will be traveling that way on Monday Sept. 6th. I thought it may be simpler to ask first before I spend Sunday evening sitting at the computer setting up the scanner.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If you're only interested in the Thruway operations, there are only three frequencies you really need:

453.425 (123.0 PL Buffalo Division Zone 4, 97.4 PL Syracuse Division Zone 3) - Repeater Ch A
453.525 (123.0 PL Buffalo Division Zone 4, 97.4 PL Syracuse Division Zone 3) - Repeater Ch B
458.525 (97.4 PL) - Car to Car Simplex

I wouldn't even bother programming the PL since no one else in the area operates on those frequencies. If for some reason you do want to program the PL, then you'll need to enter both repeater frequencies twice with each PL since you'll be traveling from the Buffalo Division into the Syracuse Division, where the PL is different. The car-to-car PL is 97.4 systemwide.

FYI, the way the Thruway repeater system works is that Ch A and Ch B are simulcast, the repeater output alternates between the two frequencies every other radio tower to provide total coverage while limiting interference on the same frequency from neighboring towers. So for a few miles you'll hear everything stronger on one of the frequencies, then eventually the signal will be stronger on the second frequency, and back and forth. In fact, I suspect as you near the line between the Buffalo and Syracuse Divisions, you'll probably pick up Buffalo on one frequency with 123.0 PL and Syracuse on the other frequency with 97.4 PL.

Also note that in addition to the NYSP Troop T operations, you also have tow trucks, maintenance crews, toll plazas, etc operating on those repeaters. The State Police units start with a 7 followed by their Zone #, i.e. 7460 is a Buffalo unit, 7360 is a Syracuse unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.