Traveling Thru New York - Need Freqs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helitac

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone help a country boy from Montana? Don't answer that!

I will be traveling thru New York in a week or two and would like to get most active statewide/local frequencies. I will enter the state at Niagara Falls and then eastbound to Syracuse; north to Watertown; east to Lake Placid and Port Henry.

On my return I will be westbound from Wingdale to I-84 and West Point. From NYC we will travel south on I-95.

I'm not familiar with the counties I will pass through, so if you don't have freqs, I would take a list of counties so I can download from RR.

Using BCD996XT w/ GPS. - If you know of scanner restrictions, please inform. Interested in Police / Fire / Hiway Patrol / Forestry

Time and effort is greatly appreciated

nyemt774

Premium Subscriber
Hi,
Best website I know of to really give you a start with frequencies is NF2G.COM. As far as having a scanner in your vehicle, in NYS they are illegal. Will the police pull you over just because you have one? Probably not. But if they get you on another charge such as speeding, well then you take your chances...Enjoy the Falls and NYS....

Helitac

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the heads up!

Website you mentioned was very good. It has lots of info.

According to the website mentioned, I find we won't be using the scanner while being mobile in NY. May I make the assumption a scanner may be in the vehicle but not operational (like in my briefcase). We don't want to intentionally break any law.

We only had "overnight" stops planned at Niagara Falls and Lake Placid so that puts a damper on monitoring FIRE through the NYC area. Darn!

Spec

Your chances are very slim on getting "caught" with a scanner in the car. That is if you aren't acting silly. Stay within the speed limits etc. and you should be fine.Enjoy your trip. As for FDNY live on the radio sorry... try on line though.

Helitac

Premium Subscriber
A big thank you!

There is some good information here, especially the restriction on mobile. We won't be scanning thru NY state

Your kind assistance was greatly appreciated. If we can return the favor sometime, don't hesitate . . . although you may have more frequencies in one county than we have in the entire state.

Save travels and good listening, what else could I ask for?

Helitac

shockhazard69

Feed Provider
Starting at Syracuse, you will be passing through Onondaga County (now P25 Trunked I believe), North through Oswego County (800 MHz Trunked), to Watertown in Jefferson County (combo of Low Band and High Band VHF), Possibly some of Lewis County, St. Lawrence, Franklin, and finally Essix County. Tons of potential if you change your mind on taking the scanner.

Hide it under a coat or something?

shockhazard69

Feed Provider
Or, since there are so many live scanner feeds on RR, if you have a Blackberry, Android, or iphone, you can always download an app and listen on your phone. Getting pulled over, turn your phone off and they will never know.

Then again, you can always listen from home or when you are stopped online!

Status
Not open for further replies.