determining users of licensed ltr system

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyscan

Premium Subscriber
i have monitored this local ltr system called norcom communications of nassau county. One particular service seems to use the lcn13 of this system only. How can I find out its user? I tried using fcc uls listings but to no avail.If a delivery service lets say,uses 471.83750 as their frequency but is part of this overall trunked system cant you find out its name by searching the frequency and entity type?? Any help ?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If the mystery user is a subscriber on a trunked system, then the FCC database is useless. All you'll get from the FCC when searching the frequencies is the licensed operator of the TRS, in this case Norcom Communications.

Just be aware that some LTR systems set aside frequencies for conventional, non-trunked usage. This is possibly what you're seeing if you're positive this subscriber is always on the same frequency. If you have a scanner capable of tracking LTR systems and you pause it on that particular frequency in Open or ID Search mode, you should see a talkgroup ID when they transmit. If you're not seeing a TGID, then they're likely using the frequency in conventional mode. Try searching for a PL or DPL instead in that case, that would be a pretty good indicator that it's in conventional mode.

Gilligan

Database Admin
Sounds like the delivery service you are monitoring is a user on the LTR trunked system and that they have that particular frequency as their home channel. Nothing unusual about that, as all LTR users have a home channel that they use if it is not already busy. In order to figure out who it is, my recommendation is that you listen for where they make their deliveries. When they happen to make a delivery close to your location, go to that location and see who it is. That's probably the easiest way to determine the user. But there is no license information available because the LTR system owner is the licensee and the users are just paying to use the system. Their information is private to the LTR company only and, in reality, they need not be business users at all. If you and a buddy wanted to have radios w/ repeater-range, you could probably rent a channel for your own use on their LTR system (although it would be expensive).

tommyscan

Premium Subscriber
Oh no its definitely a trunked system since I see a talkgroup id of 0-13-030. as a dispatch and 0-13-033 as a field unit. Maybe search business conventional licenses that may be trunked?

Gilligan

Database Admin
You're not going to find anything by looking in any license database. You're gonna have to do some sleuthing if you really want to find out the user. If you listen long enough, they may mention where their office is or something, but it's probably just easiest to listen for where they're making a delivery.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
You're talking about this TRS, correct?

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=4686

I'm sure someone out on the Island knows who it is, did you try posting your question on W2LIE.net? You already have the TGID, chances are someone local has already figured out who it is. Or you can do what Gilligan suggested and listen to them for a while, figure out the locations they serve, and maybe stalk them or something (just don't be a knucklehead about it).

com501

FYI, on one of our large systems, specific users have their own LTR channel for their unique use. It is easy to program a radio to either skip a particular LCN or use ONLY one or perhaps 2 LCNs in an entire system.

tommyscan

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all your replies and funny ones! dont be a knucklehead,I laughed because I feel like one in this instance. I recently got interested in business systems since so much of the interesting public safety has switched or will be switching to digital encrypted systems!! One agency switched to the new mototrbo systems making listening impossible. so tastes have to change in monitoring.

Gilligan

Database Admin
Actually I think that determining who is on a particular frequency or talkgroup is part of the fun of the scanning hobby. I agree that encryption and newer digital technologies have stolen the fun of listening to some of the local law enforcement and federal government users. A year ago I finally started to figure out the federal repeaters in Oklahoma and then they went digital. Now I'm back in Maryland and our local PD went to digital encrypted after 20 years of conventional use. Kinda makes me mad. Now even if I go out and buy a digital radio, I still won't be able to hear any of the tactical ops. Anyway, I love the challenge of figuring out the "hidden" channels and who is using what on the business band, too. Another suggestion you may try is to set up your scanner with a recording program on your computer. I have a BC246T so I use the free BC246T Audio Recorder and it works quite well. But whatever kind of scanner you're using, it is definitely something to look into if you can't listen to your scanner all the time.

tommyscan

Premium Subscriber
I thought if any business uses one particular frequency that they must list it with the fcc? so in my instance,if xyz bus company uses 471.83750 then they should be listed even though they operate on a trunked system.how else can they,meaning the fcc track them??!!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I thought if any business uses one particular frequency that they must list it with the fcc? so in my instance,if xyz bus company uses 471.83750 then they should be listed even though they operate on a trunked system.how else can they,meaning the fcc track them??!!

I can understand how you might think that makes sense, but that's not how it works.

The FCC only cares about who licenses the frequencies, not what users are on the system. In the case of trunked systems, it's common practice for a communications company to license the frequencies, then build a for-profit system. Subscribers then rent/lease the radio equipment and pay a usage fee to operate on the system. No FCC license is required by the subscribers on the system, they are operating under the system license.

Status
Not open for further replies.