Harris Corporation Awarded $9 Million Contract to Upgrade Public Safety Communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
Harris now has two major mulit-site radio system contracts in NY. The whole world is watching to see if they will actually work...

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Harris isn't a toy manufacturer so I suspect they will make it work using tried and true systems they already designed and have in place for military communications. What is interesting is that as usual upstate counties don't go with Motorola for their communications. I heard something years ago while working at a GE shop that GE is the number 1 employer in New York State so they try and give their business to them. That includes all the counties up in that area. New York State Thruway was Motorola for a while but is now back to GE or it's successor Harris.

w2csx

Premium Subscriber
Also makes you wonder why other areas are spending the money on Motorola systems that don't work and cost a lot more then the Harris system dose. But I'm from Rochester so am bias towards Harris. :)

D

DaveNF2G

I'm from Rochester and I'm biased toward Motorola. In the public safety sector, nobody has more experience or more working systems installed.

w2csx

Premium Subscriber
Been listening to a Harris P25 system and they are much more clear than the Motorola systems I hear here or online.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Been listening to a Harris P25 system and they are much more clear than the Motorola systems I hear here or online.

I'm not taking sides here, but I will say that you absolutely cannot base an opinion of whose systems are better based on what you hear on a hobby scanner or online feed. The online feed has to be immediately discounted because you have no idea what kind of poor setup a feed provider might have that is skewing the results. Monitoring locally with a scanner is still not a good way to judge a system. These systems were not designed for people listening with a scanner, they were designed to work optimally with professional subscriber radios.

esfd283

Harris isn't a toy manufacturer so I suspect they will make it work using tried and true systems they already designed and have in place for military communications. What is interesting is that as usual upstate counties don't go with Motorola for their communications. I heard something years ago while working at a GE shop that GE is the number 1 employer in New York State so they try and give their business to them. That includes all the counties up in that area. New York State Thruway was Motorola for a while but is now back to GE or it's successor Harris.

Well, I know that atleast 5 upstate counties have a Motorola system and I believe Tompkins has 1 as well as Chenango???

dgoodnough

System Status

w2csx, If you click on the Monroe County page and then go to the FCC licenses tab, then look for the new license letters and click on one (In the 700 mhz range), you will see a page showing several tower locations and associated ID's. There is also a map showing the tower locations and following this is a list of severl frequencies associated with each tower. I have been putting together an excel spreadsheet of all the locations and towers associated with each license number. I can post or PM you if you you would like so you can see the current set up of the system (Obviously not complete yet).

I also plan on plugging these freq's into the scanner sometime soon to see what might be heard, but not sure when I will do this as I am in the last couple of weeks of the school semester (Got some tough exams coming up - Old man back in college LOL). I am sure if anything is heard at all it will be testing.

FCC Licenses and Scanner Frequencies for Monroe County, New York (NY)

Above is the link to the FCC license page for Monroe County, which I shut off all the regular analog freq's from showing (See the colored tabs at the top of the page).

w2csx

Premium Subscriber
I see now they have a name for the new communications system for Monroe County, it's going to be called
MACRO.

w2csx

Premium Subscriber
I see now they have a name for the new communications system for Monroe County, it's going to be called
MACRO. I also take note that it will happen according to the pdf file I just read.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
MACRO. I also take note that it will happen according to the pdf file I just read.

I wonder what MACRO stands for?

73's

Ron

lafd55

I saw a Harris Unity yesterday on a trooper, had to do a double take because the top looks pretty similar to an APX, I can see why they went with both.

Status
Not open for further replies.