NY STATE POLICE-Duplex system

Status
Not open for further replies.

19rsc78

Does anyone know if NY state runs on other frequencies or if there is a trunked system. This cant be all there talking on, its dead.-On another topic does anyone know how to download this duplex system to a Pro-106 scanner. I have winn500 and the subscription but cant pull the freqeuncies when I web import...WTF

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Did you read the database listing carefully? Its pretty straight forward..

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
The reason it sounds dead is because the State Police are often dispatched by the county instead of troop channels

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Not accurate statewide. Troops still dispatch themselves to any calls they get. County 911 centers (generally) dispatch any closest available police unit to a 911 call received by the 911 center.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
NYSP in the lower Hudson is pretty quiet on the dispatch channels. You will hear barracks to car on the duplex channels, but a great deal of the traffic does go over the 911 channels, moreso in Putnam and Dutchess. Listen to MRD (155.37) in Dutchess, it can be pretty active up there.

19rsc78

Yes, I read the database and that is why I have questions...

***edited by Moderator e911god***

Last edited by a moderator:

Spec

If you look at the system you'll see that it is a semi-duplex or 2 frequency simplex system as some would refer to it. That being said each troop has substations that sometime dispatch locally ie: Highland or Monroe which is not Troop HQ's in Troop F - Mddletown is the Troop HQ. Also effecting the reception in the Troop K area as is the case in most troops is the terrain. MDB's in the vehicles also provide for an e-mail system between cars and throughout the state as well as an exchange between Troop. With patrols being fairly spread out they often are lucky to hear each other on car-car so they often just e-mail each other. Then there is the NEXTEL factor. While not official many officers in various departments do use it as well as plain cell phones. It's no secret someone is listening.
Commenting as you did above also will not help in future requests for assistance.

Last edited:

DCB65

Premium Subscriber
SP radio traffic has also dropped off a lot since they started using MDT's. Also, sad to say, the NYSP radio system is not the best. You've got to be fairly close to the cars to hear them on troop frequencies but you can hear them all over the place on 911.

I have some trooper friends that really did not have many good things to say about their radios. Lots of dead areas, etc. (at least here in the Hudson Valley). Kinda scary as it could definitely be an officer safety issue.

19rsc78

Thanks for all the feedback. It does sound like NY state troopers use other means to communicate such as computers and phone and this is why I dont hear much action.

Warthog1

Silent Key
Here in Fulton County, the NYSP are also dispatched on County Sheriff's Dispatch (155.67), but they always report that dispatch to Com Sec on 154.680. They do use their AVL quite a bit also.

comspec

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.5.0.110 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I can't speak for all Troops but at least in Troop K Zone 3 which is dispatched by the TMC in Hawthorne and local dispatch for a few local towns it is moderatly active. What I have found is that troopers in general don't talk a lot and you rarely hear the cars unless they are close. Depending on the Troop the barracks dispatch may be surprisingly low power and even though one frequency covers the entire troop, there is probably more than one dispatcher on the frequency.
Combine that with a scanner and you can easily miss the brief transmissions as the details are sent to the MDT.
Combine all that with the fact that it Dutchess, Rockland, Putnam and Orange (and I am sure many others) 911 calls go over a polling channel you can easily miss the few transmissions taking place on troop channels, but when I set my scanner to manual and listen for a while they are indeed there (or at least the dispatchers)

What troop and barracks are you trying to hear. Maybe we can provide some specifics.

19rsc78

I am looking for Troop K zone 1. Any frequencies you have will be helpful and I will try listening manually. I do here some dispatch transmissions but rarely. It is a less active zone I assume.

nozzlenut83

Troop K Zone 1

Troop K Zone 1 is very active here in Columbia County. Especially Car to Car. F-4, and Statewide.

Need a pretty good antenna or a location with decent height due to the terrain though.

Nozzlenut83

radiodude817

Premium Subscriber
In Westen NY since the MaCom System was terminated, Erie Co started building out (updating) their UHF
Mastr II - 2 repeater system. Previously the 911 cell calls were routed to the local SP troup Zone station. The
Calls were then dispatched by the Zone location. During the time when the MaCom System was being
built in Erie County the 911 calls were changed to the 50 million dollar building in downtown Buffalo and the
Erie County Sheriff now dispatches these calls. The State only dispatches calls placed directly to them on theit normal 7 digit phone number. This is why the SP radio traffic volume has dropped here. I also understood that Troop A HQ was to move into the Buffalo building about 2 years ago, but, that has not happened as yet. Apparently when the County of Erie built this building they either forgot or maybe thought their battery backup system would handle the load. There wasn't enought b/u power to accomidate the need. There was a generator on a trailer in their parking lot to supplement. But, I understand now they have something more permanent.
The city of Buffalo was also going to be intergrated into this facility now, I understand they don't want anything to do with it.

As far a repeaters go for the State Police they can activate a repeat mode using one of their mobile channels as the input and the troop freq in my case 155.505 for A troop as the output. I understand they can select which
tower they receive from and also which tower they transmit from which gives them frequency isolation to make the system perform. When they were chasing Bucky Philips around here, every time the SP's thought they had him cornered they would activate the repeat mode.

Rudy3145

Feed Provider
Troopers on Long Island have decent mobile coverage, but the portable coverage on the Vhf side is ehh. Troopers operating in Suffolk (I've noticed) talk to their dispatch on Vhf inside the cars, but talk to dispatch on the county 800mhz system (which has excellent portable coverage) when outside the cars on portables.

Problem is their system in general isn't designed for portable coverage.

I don't know if they do the same in Nassau. Troopers based in NYC are sometimes heard on the NYC 800 Edacs system.

Status
Not open for further replies.