SCPD Digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
Some time ago I found out through the FCC site that two of the voice channels in the Suffolk Co system were under a different call sign. I don't know if that is true now. Those channels turn out to be, in my experiance, the only voice channels used by the digital talk groups in the system. So, you say, what good is that for? Well, since my 785D won't work the re-banded system, I still can listen to those two freqs in conventional mode and hear all the digital TGs in the system. I'd just be guessing who it is I'm picking up, but there is so little digital traffic, I'll not have a problem keeping track of the comms. The 785 lives on!

Kennrth

Premium Subscriber
I too have a 785D and listen to the SCPD in conventional mode. Transmissions up till until now are 99.9% analog. I have digital capability so I can verify this. If you look at the database for Suffolk county here on Radio reference you will see the talk groups that are digital. I picked up analog Uniden BC346XT which I keep at work that works great. I don’t think you need DIGITAL SCANNER to monitor most of Suffolk county as of yet or in the near future. Even though the 785D doesn’t trunk now it works well and if you have an ear to discern talk groups you won’t miss much.

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
My point is that even though it can't monitor Suffolk's re-banded system, I can still use my 785D to monitor all the digital TGs with just two freqs! I have other scanners that do monitor the whole system.

IW_RADIO

You will need digital to monitor the new NCPD system. Too bad Uniden didn't have a firmware reband upgrade for the 785D because it really is a great scanner.

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
Encryption of every day precinct level comms is a breach of the social contract between the police and the citizens they are sworn [and in my opinion with their lives] to protect.

Status
Not open for further replies.