Scanner for a Gift, Schenectady, NY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharon12306

What kind of scanner would I have to buy if I was only looking to monitor the City of Schenectady (Police, Fire, Ambulance) and more specifically, the Town of Rotterdam (EMS, Police, Fire), zip code 12306?

If possible, I do not want to spend more than $200.

I appreciate your assistance/feedback..

Sharon

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Someone jump in if I'm wrong, but I think they are all analog conventional, so any basic scanner should be fine. You don't need digital or trunking.
Although, that being said, Radio Shack has a sale on the portable digital scanner (Pro-106), online only, for $250. That is a good deal, and includes both trunking and digital which somewhat "future proofs" it, and allows the monitoring of Albany and Colonie as well.
See the news article at http://forums.radioreference.com/co...06-radio-shack-huge-digital-scanner-sale.html

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
City of Schenectady (Police, Fire, Ambulance) and more specifically, the Town of Rotterdam (EMS, Police, Fire)

He is correct any scanner that has trunking Capabilities will work, But right now these areas and State police are not on Digital Systems yet. This is not to say they won't ever go digital.

Hand-held Scanners

PRO-164 1000-Channel Handheld Scanner
-$147 On Sale
PRO-106 39,000-Channel Digital Handheld Scanner
- Digital On Sale $249

Desktop/Mobile Scanners
PRO-163 1000 CH Triple Trunking Mobile/Base Scanner - RadioShack.com
- $173 On Sale
PRO-197 39,000-Channel Digital Desktop Scanner - RadioShack.com
- Digital $299 On Sale

These Digital Scanners are about 100-150 dollars off.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
He is correct any scanner that has trunking Capabilities will work,

That is a mischaracterization of what I said. I said any basic analog conventional scanner. In fact, I said no trunking.

Which of those require trunking? None that I'm aware of.

But I do agree that given the good sale price on the digital scanners at Radio Shack, if the max cost can be bumped up a bit, a digital trunked scanner is a good choice for the future.

Warthog1

Silent Key
If you would like to listen to Glenville & Scotia PD, you will need 800 MHz, but not trunking.
Albany is 800 trunked, Colonie is 800 trunked digital.

dbsar

Premium Subscriber
Wow Sharon, nice gift. In addition to what the others have said, besides needing to know if you need a conventional, trunking, or digital scanner, you need to consider other things too.

First off, will the gift recipient want to take the scanner “on the go” with him, or will it sit on a desk all the time. If you want to take it places, go with a handheld scanner. They operate on batteries and can plug into power too. They have a smaller speaker than a desktop (desktop will sound better and generally have larger buttons, dials, and display screen but have to be plugged in).

Ease of use might be an issue too. I don’t have a digital scanner but from what I’ve read, they may be more difficult for a novice to program than a conventional scanner. Software that you load onto a computer and use to program a scanner is available for most, and makes this task much easier.

Finally, there are several places you can buy a scanner. Radio shack links were already provided to you above and I’ve had several of their radios and still use them. Scan Master is another good site and you can find them advertising on this website.

Please, if you don’t understand, just let us know and we will help you.

Merry Christmas

FDNY10-75

Database Admin
Locally there is Scanner World (Interstate Ave, Colonie), I would reccomend a Uniden Scanner, the 346XT is a great choice for the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.