Saratoga County TRS Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobiej72

Saratoga County is switching to the new 800hz Band frequencies. I currently have an old BC350C scanner with picks up everything i need. What should be my next scanner purchase to pick up the new 800Hz frequencies?

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
You need a digital scanner. They will say APCO 25, P25, digital - all the same

snorkle

Saratoga county rebanded their freqs a few months ago. The RR data base hasn't lisited them yet.The highway maintance is using them now . Sounds real good so far.

Warthog1

Silent Key
Some Talk Groups so far

3111 Highway Dept - in use now.
4112 ATAC

All of the talkgroups except 3111 have simply been tests.
3111 seems to be in use full time.

cobiej72

From what I understand with 800Mhz, the most northern end of the county can talk to the most southern part of the county on portables. The whole system sounds really good, except for the fact in order to have a scanner capable of picking it in requires buying the $500+ uniden scanner, Anyone know of cheaper alternatives?

D

DaveNF2G

Dave, are you running the re-banded freqs ?
Control channel is 851.1625

Yep. Signal is marginal at best when I listen to the CC in conventional mode. Can't get a strong enough signal for trunktracking. I hope they get the Halfmoon site online soon.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
According to this link
Powered by Google Docs

Equipment provided for VHF is the CDM1250 for mobile and HT1250 for portable
On 800 MHz the mobile is XTL1500 and portable is going to be the XTS1500

cobiej72

I just got back from the local radio store in town (Adirondack 2-Way). The Gentlemen there stated that Saratoga County was switch to a p-25 system with the Motorola ASTRO software. He stated that he was doubtful that any scanner on the market could pick up the feed.

snorkle

go back and tell the clerk? that warthog and snorkle live in fulton coounty and they
hear saratoga 800 p25 loud and clear
Ya gotta love it.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Ahh, the stereotypical uneducated misinformed two way radio clerk - how did they ever get employed their in the first place? I thought that you need at least a little bit of technical knowledge if your going to work in a business like this
I'm scared for the future when I think that these kind of people operate those companies, and I bet that this guy was visited by a Motorola salesman with fancy pamphlets and powerpoint presentations

Last edited:

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I just got back from the local radio store in town (Adirondack 2-Way). The Gentlemen there stated that Saratoga County was switch to a p-25 system with the Motorola ASTRO software. He stated that he was doubtful that any scanner on the market could pick up the feed.
As several have already told you, the guy at ADK 2-Way basically lied to you. They don't deal in Motorola two-way gear, just Icom and such.

You need to talk to a scanner dealer. Someone here already recommended the Radio Shack PRO106 for what you want, so take it to the bank that Saratoga County's P25 800 Mhz system can be monitored by a commercially available scanner. No one here wants to mislead you.

Radio Shack's website says there are two stores in Queensbury and I know there is one in Amsterdam. Probably lots of others nearby, too. Talk to them.

Go ScannerMaster's website and see what they offer. (Their ad is usually at the top of the page here on RR.) Ask them if there are scanners to do what you want if you don't believe the folks here on RR.

Find a local dealer for Uniden or GRE and go talk to them. (Google is your friend for that.) Ask them the same question that you have asked here.

Read more stuff here on RR, you will find out in a real hurry what can and can not be picked up by the scanners currently available.

But under no circumstances should you ever believe the guy at ADK 2-Way again. He did you a huge disservice by telling you that. Do you really think he'd ever give you a straight answer about anything else?

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I wouldn't walk into a radio shack to talk about buying a scanner, they way it is today you'd probably end up walking out with a cell phone. Actually the guy at adk 2 way has more knowledge than the guys in radio shack even if he did give you bad information.
The only place you'll ever need is good ol radio reference forums
I'd checkout scanner master they have 6 digital scanners that would work for ya
http://www.scannermaster.com/Digital_Scanners_s/269.htm
I'd even checkout ebay if your tight on money and look for a used one

Last edited:

cobiej72

I appreciate the folks here for helping me better understand what equipment i will need inorder to to reach my goal.

With all due respect to the gentleman at ADK 2-Way he mentioned up front that they did not sell scanners however, i agree with steve that it was better to say "i dont know" then have me stand there and talk to him for half an hour.

From what i understand out county is set to switch over come july so i have some time to save up for a new scanner. Thank you all here at RR for all your knowledge and good advice.

snorkle

according to the ocal newpaper articles, they expect to operational by march 1st. The nex two month will be installing fire and ems radios.there will be training curve . Its amazing that 15 million bucks gets you to talk to everyone in their county, and my 30 year old 2meter ht I can talk to hams in 5 states and with echo link talk to the world.WOW big buck step back. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.