Westchester County UCALL/UTAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alarms50

Thursday afternoon I heard repeater messages, and testing of the UCALL/UTAC frequencies announcing testing of the Grasslands tower.

SCANdal

Silent Key

As splinters mentioned above, Zone D containes the UCall and UTac channels. They are not part of the trunked system. They are conventional analog channels intended for national interagency mutual aid purposes, as follows:

U Call 40: 453.2125R (156.7)
U Tac 41: 453.4625R (156.7)
U Tac 42: 453.7125R (156.7)
U Tac 43: 453.8625R (156.7)

U Call 40D: 453.2125 (156.7)
U Tac 41D: 453.4625 (156.7)
U Tac 42D: 453.7125 (156.7)
U Tac 43D: 453.8625 (156.7)

SCANdal

W2NJS

There is a Wiki article on this Board that explains everything about UCall, including ALL of the channels used on all bands.

Alarms50

Alarms50

My contact at 60 Control told me that Westchester County was looking to get a grant to program these UCALL/UTAC freq's in all the Fire & EMS mobile radios.

Alarms50

This morning I heard testing of these freq's mentioning the "Benefield" (Peekskill) tower. This looks like all nine of the County's towers will have these repeaters available in the near future.

I spoke with a buddy of mine from Fairview FD (Westchester Co.) this week, and he mentioned that the County's radio contractor was at his station and programmed the UCALL/UTAC freq's in their apparatus radios.

mike4164

Premium Subscriber
The UCALL/UTAC frequencies are the nationwide mutual aid interoperable frequencies. They are mandatory to be in ALL radios nationwide by I believe it is the end of 2011,not sure on the exact date. It was in the news several months ago.

Alarms50

The UCALL/UTAC frequencies are the nationwide mutual aid interoperable frequencies. They are mandatory to be in ALL radios nationwide by I believe it is the end of 2011,not sure on the exact date. It was in the news several months ago.

Please provide a link for this "requirement'. I just looked through FCC Part 90 http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2009-title47-vol5/pdf/CFR-2009-title47-vol5-part90.pdf, and the only reference to these freq's is in notes 80 & 83 on pages 271 & 272 of the document. I could not even find a reference in this FCC document to the alpha descriptors. The alpha descriptors can be found at http://www.npstc.org/documents/APCO-NPSTC-ANS1-104-1web.pdf which is the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Standard written by the National Public Safety Telecommunications Council (NPSTC) and the Association of Public Safety Communications Officials (APCO).

The ANSI Standard referenced above states in "Implementing this protocol...that the implementaion of this protocol be done...in conjunction with other operational requirements such as a frequency change or a conversion to narrowband channels requires the subscriber fleet of radios to be adjusted."

And, these frequencies are only authorized for use by Public Safety licensees, not "ALL radios nationwide" which would include "all" licensees in the Industrial/Business pool.

So, please provide your link for this "mandatory" requirement.

mike4164

Premium Subscriber
And, these frequencies are only authorized for use by Public Safety licensees, not "ALL radios nationwide" which would include "all" licensees in the Industrial/Business pool.

Alarms,when I speak I only speak about public safety radios,Sorry for the confusion. I saw the requirement in an issue of firehouse magazine a few months ago,I dont remember how long,and thats what they quoted the FCC as saying in the interview they did.Again,sorry for the confusion. I only speak about public safety because thats all I deal with when it comes to radios because of my career.

Status
Not open for further replies.