(NYPD) Project 25 System

Do you think NYPD should move to a digital trunking system?

• Yes, time to replace the 1970's radio system.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • No, the old/current one works just fine.

Votes: 56 72.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sepura

Premium Subscriber
Will this replace the old legacy analog radio system for NYPD for everyday operations?

Let's discuss!

captmfa7112

Premium Subscriber
According to everything I've been hearing, this system is only for data and will be available the emergency departments in the city. It's supposed to provide better coverage then the (failed) NYCWiN system that didn't turn out as planned.

Just because everyone else is going P25 and FDMA trunked systems doesn't mean its the be-all end-all. PD and FD have well designed systems that work just fine for their needs. NYC already has 2 citywide trunking systems (800MHz and UHF) that many city agencies such as Sanitation, Parks and DOT have migrated on to and off their conventional repeaters and now have better coverage

ff026

Feed Provider
According to everything I've been hearing, this system is only for data and will be available the emergency departments in the city. It's supposed to provide better coverage then the (failed) NYCWiN system that didn't turn out as planned.

Just because everyone else is going P25 and FDMA trunked systems doesn't mean its the be-all end-all. PD and FD have well designed systems that work just fine for their needs. NYC already has 2 citywide trunking systems (800MHz and UHF) that many city agencies such as Sanitation, Parks and DOT have migrated on to and off their conventional repeaters and now have better coverage

Who said NYCWiN didn't turn out as planned? The NYPD has started using it for data and it's great.

one11sgt

I posted this before.....and I am just repeating what i was told by a tech at the vendor who installed the new MDTs for the NYPD....he said their next project is a digital NYPD radio system. Take it for what its worth. NYCWiN seems to work well, however, the software the NYPD chose is garbage. When the NYCWiN signal drops, the software sees that, but when it returns, the software doesn't. You have to restart the computer. Terrible.

W2NJS

NYC and narrowbanding...

How will the city deal with the FCC mandate to go narrow [12.5 & 6.25] band?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Most, if not all, of the NYPD UHF analog channels are on T-Band. T-Band is narrowband. Always was narrowband.

12dbsinad

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Most, if not all, of the NYPD UHF analog channels are on T-Band. T-Band is narrowband. Always was narrowband.

Are you sure its all narrowband? T-band typically uses 12.5 channel spacing, but they can still be deviating on wideband (5 khz). I have no idea here... just shooting from the hip.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I posted this before.....and I am just repeating what i was told by a tech at the vendor who installed the new MDTs for the NYPD....he said their next project is a digital NYPD radio system. Take it for what its worth. NYCWiN seems to work well, however, the software the NYPD chose is garbage. When the NYCWiN signal drops, the software sees that, but when it returns, the software doesn't. You have to restart the computer. Terrible.

Is this part of the new CAD system? I know that the city is building a new system, but I can't remember who the vendor is.

W2NJS

NYC T-Band usage etc.

Are you sure its all narrowband? T-band typically uses 12.5 channel spacing, but they can still be deviating on wideband (5 khz). I have no idea here... just shooting from the hip.

You might wish to review the FCC regs on T-band licensing, where it applies, etc., then you'll know all about it.

one11sgt

Is this part of the new CAD system? I know that the city is building a new system, but I can't remember who the vendor is.

There is an option for CAD in the software but its not functional yet. The only part that is functioning is the DMV and warrants. And it seems everyday after 6pm that stops. If they want to use this as a CAD....they need to fix some serious bugs. The software is omniforce mobile. The vendor is LRS communications.

one11sgt

Who said NYCWiN didn't turn out as planned? The NYPD has started using it for data and it's great.

Hey ff026, do you have a problem with not being able to connect to the omniforce mobile server for hours on end where you are? In the south bronx, the server goes down almost every night around 5-6pm. It stays down for hours and no one, at least in my command, can connect.

12dbsinad

You might wish to review the FCC regs on T-band licensing, where it applies, etc., then you'll know all about it.

I am very well familiar with T-band. The fact that you stated that T-band is narrowband and always has been is incorrect. I have surplus T-band public safety repeaters (plenty) that are wideband. Just because it has 4 digits after the decimal point doesn't mean its already narrowband.

captmfa7112

Premium Subscriber
Hey ff026, do you have a problem with not being able to connect to the omniforce mobile server for hours on end where you are? In the south bronx, the server goes down almost every night around 5-6pm. It stays down for hours and no one, at least in my command, can connect.

This is actually what I was referring to in my original post, the many connectivity problems experienced by subscribers from many city agencies along with PD. Many of the other city agencies were re-issued their Verizon mobile broadband cards because they were unable to connect or stay connected in parts of the city.

ff026

Feed Provider

No i have not seen this problem, the only time i have a problem is when you are out of the car for an extended period of time you have to reboot the computer for applications to connect to the network not just omniforce but for intranet applications as well. Some RMP's have the problem i explained above and some do not.

ff026

Feed Provider
This is actually what I was referring to in my original post, the many connectivity problems experienced by subscribers from many city agencies along with PD. Many of the other city agencies were re-issued their Verizon mobile broadband cards because they were unable to connect or stay connected in parts of the city.

He is referring to a problem with the omniforce mobile server, not the WiFi network. I have had times when i can not connect with omniforce but i was still able to connect to the intranet and run HOD programs,

one11sgt

He is referring to a problem with the omniforce mobile server, not the WiFi network. I have had times when i can not connect with omniforce but i was still able to connect to the intranet and run HOD programs,

Exactly. We lose the server everyday. Finally last nite someone at MISD knew to call datamax and they re set the server. But its hit or miss with MISD knowing how to do that when you call.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
I really dont like digital all that much and the old system works well. I would like to see new equipment given to the guys and gals out there as wll as some new repeaters, etc and they dont have to be digital by any means. whatever helps do the job and helps keep everyone safe so they get home at the end of shift. no system is prefect but I have to say with all the different areas in the city the present radio system does one hell of a job.

Joe T. Retired Westchester Medic

PS not being a fan of digital is simply the fact of noise being able to distort the signal. In PD there may be an issue but I can state first hand Digital has NO PLACE in the fire department and runs a close second place to being useless in EMS. Just my opinion

Last edited:

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
I agree that the NYPD's system works just fine and don't touch it. When 800 MHZ Public Safety was all the craze, (late 70's)Motorola tried and I repeat tried several times to make a go of it with NYPD. First the 800 trunked system couldn't work across several boughs, which is a problem since the way NYPD has their system designed, all the transmitters and receivers are located within blocks of their operating area. Why so close, well buildings are a great way to block signals, so if you keep it close you can get coverage. Another reason I heard but never confirmed is that the central controllers of the day couldn't handle the number of subscribers or transmitters.
Their system works, works well for the enviroment it was designed for. Trunking really wouldn't help, since NYPD has an abundance of frequencies, and at this time they don't even reuse them which they could. I also am still not a firm believer of digital, I think its a means for the manufacturers to get more money from the public, with no real increase in service for that money.

On the narrow band issue.NYPD can just reprogram their radios, they are new enough. But I wonder how they are going top keep all the other agencies from licensing up on the splits between their channels when they become available 01/01/2013?

On the 700 mhz question, from what I have been reading that system is going to be LTE wide band. Similar to P25 phase II, but that's probably a good 10 years away.

Status
Not open for further replies.