151.820 Northern Ulster? Not 2 watts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
Anyone monitor this freq? Not 2 watts i can tell ya that....Sound like one of them running a repeater....There scratchy where i am in Greene northern hills,But they never seem to shut up

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
I do from time to time, but really never heard any one on there run a repeater...

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Per FCC database no valid users in New York State,Penn,CT or New Jersey. Also doesn't come up in 90.35 as a valid frequency either. 151.805 and 151.835 are adjacents. The 2 users that expired in upper New York State were 2 watt licenses, maybe grandfathered from old assignments? Or could you be getting an image?

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
151.820 is a MURS frequency...no license required. 2 watt maximum transmitter output, no restriction on antenna gain, but no higher than 20 ft. above a structure or 60ft AGL!

I knew of FRS and GMRS but this is a new one on me. Wonder if users take commercial radios and program in the freq., not being too concerned about the output power. Imagine a MOTO at 100 watts or so.

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
No image. There using Motorola products i can tell by the off key of the mic....and have been on the air for awhile.....One person sounds like a base and the other a repeater.......so maybe the base is the repeater...i cant sit long enough to pin point where they are for all i know Northern dutchess or columbia county can be heard up here....there a family ya can hear the kids in the backround..and jabber away they do.....

K

kb0nly

MURS has been around for years. Around here 820 and 880 are the most active of the five channels.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
I'm going to put the five channels in my portable tomorrow and see if there is any activity here in Dallas. I guess with all the cheap radios and press about FRS and GMRS, that MURS kinda wound up in the corners of my mind.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
151.820 is a MURS frequency...no license required. 2 watt maximum transmitter output, no restriction on antenna gain, but no higher than 20 ft. above a structure or 60ft AGL!

I knew of FRS and GMRS but this is a new one on me. Wonder if users take commercial radios and program in the freq., not being too concerned about the output power. Imagine a MOTO at 100 watts or so.

The radio also needs to be type accepted for MURS (Part 95). A select group of non-MURS radios are grandfathered, but I think that was only for radios pre-2002 or so... I remember the list being small (and the 2 watt restriction still applies). Mostly the only radios permitted on MURS are radios made for MURS.

I think there are some grandfathered licenses on the MURS frequencies, but they would still appear in the FCC database if they were valid. If I recall, they can be renewed but not modified.

Last edited:

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
Methusaleh....Nope not them...whole different bunch,I have read all that and have been listening to it. Strangely nothing from 158.400 in awhile

sc800

Methusaleh....Nope not them...whole different bunch,I have read all that and have been listening to it. Strangely nothing from 158.400 in awhile

The friendly people at the FCC probably put the brakes on that.

Did anyone ever find out who these people were/are?

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
The friendly people at the FCC probably put the brakes on that.

Did anyone ever find out who these people were/are?

I doubt the FCC did anything......reading POP wireless leads me to believe there reading the posts and "knock it down" for awhile at random times. i could be wrong, i'll have to check the FCC database see if theres anything in print,the other ones i have been hearing think there on a CB by the way it sounds.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
No image. There using Motorola products i can tell by the off key of the mic....and have been on the air for awhile.....One person sounds like a base and the other a repeater.......so maybe the base is the repeater...i cant sit long enough to pin point where they are for all i know Northern dutchess or columbia county can be heard up here....there a family ya can hear the kids in the backround..and jabber away they do.....

Whats the problem with them jabbering? And what is making you say that the one person is using a repeater?

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
Your not reading the whole post....There running HIGH powered mobiles and a Base on a 2 YES 2 watt freq....Thats my problem......I can tell by the off key there using a Motorola Product and both the base and the mobile have the same sound and the mobile has a sq tail.....and in regards to the other(158.400) i just heard "Alert zone 4" so this overpowered base/repeater is still spewing its trash

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
I read the whole post. I was just curious what was making you say that there was a repeater being used that's all.. the sq tail doesn't really mean there is a repeater though I have a UHF GE mobile in my car and when I unkey it on simplex there is what sounds like a sq tail but its not its just a delay from when I unkey the mic. had the same thing on a desktrac that I had when I used the mic with the LED light on it.

sc800

I think it was the range suggesting a repeater. They were being heard for a 60 mile radius. That is pretty hard to do WITH a repeater, and darn near impossible to do without one.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Any update guys? Been listening a little down in the Poughkeepsie area on 151.820 and haven't really heard anything.

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
Havent really heard anything on 151.820 other than a local guy whom has a driveway alert on it...this one dont carry far the way there supposed to...

K2LED

There is a group using this frequency, appears to be a repeater, on high power, in Western NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.