Passing of Frank B. O'Connor (aka SCANdal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Frank B. O'Connor (aka SCANdal) passed in his sleep on April 29, 2011, due to complications from the respiratory illnesses he suffered related to the months he spent working at Ground Zero after 9/11.

Never without some sort of receiver within arms reach, Frank’s love for the hobby was well known among all who knew him. Close friends would often goof on him by calling out a town and department, to which he'd reply with their primary frequency and PL or DPL. They sometimes wouldn't know if he was right or not - but he almost always nailed it dead on. A backyard gardener, amateur chef (very amateur...I remember an eggplant dish that went so wrong that Frank almost had the honor of hearing his own address dispatched over his local fire channel), and avid cross country skier (before his health failed him), Frank's passing was marked with a very small church service and private cremation.

Memorial donations can be sent to the New York Organ Donor Network at Organ Donation | New York Organ Donor Network | NYODN.

While some may have noticed the drop off in his participation in the hobby lately, he kept a brave face on to those who know him in person, almost to the very end.

“May those ultimately responsible for his untimely death, both domestically and abroad, suffer a fate ten times worse then he did.”

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
That's sad to hear. I enjoyed seeing him help others increase their knowledge of scanning in general and especially in the NY area. Rest easy, bro...

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I'm completely caught off guard by this very sad news. I didn't even know his real name, I only knew him as "SCANdal" for the past few years I've been around here and ECS. I'm deeply saddened that I didn't get to know him personally. I would've liked to have thanked him for working on the pile, where a very good friend of mine, Greg Sikorsky, was murdered on 9/11. His loss to our scanner buff community down here in our little corner of the world will be immeasurable, but seems quite insignificant compared to the loss of the man himself. Nonetheless, it is worth remembering how much he helped us all better enjoy the hobby over the years, a hobby that he clearly loved.

Rest in Peace, Frank

SCPD

QRT
This is a shock to me.SCANdal answered many questions I had on Orange County, NY area frequencies and was a big help to me. I will miss him. RIP, Frank. Thank you e911god for letting us know.

Last edited:

slatescan

Premium Subscriber
sad news. Lindsey, I believe this is our 2nd RR member to pass in two weeks correct? one in IL died last week if i recall. we have lost a bunch of members in the past year.

Spec

Don't kid yourself folks...he's still listening :) SCANdal was a true scan monitor that will be missed by many here on this board...and most certainly by me.

bezking

Man... SCANdal was always there to answer my questions and help me with stuff...

RIP man... :(

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

Sad news indeed, especially as his death was caused by putting himself out there to help others.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and may perpetual light shine upon him. Rest in peace, Frank. This is sad news indeed.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Very sad ..Remember him from the days of Fordyce.org..He will be missed. RIP Frank.

mike4164

Premium Subscriber
R.I.P. SCANdal. At least we got the 1st person responsible for his passing. He will always be listening no matter where he is. A moment of silence in his memory please. He was always there to answer my questions on frequencies and programming, now it's time to carry on his legacy. I know what he felt with the respitory illness he had because I am in the early stages of it from working at the WTC on 9/11 as well. SCANdal will always be remembered for his knowledge and talents in the scanning world. We got it from here SCANdal,rest easy.

Mike

Rudy3145

Feed Provider
A big loss to the scanning world. 9/11 is not over, people are still dying! Was Frank a police officer or Fdny?

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Makes me think how many people were exposed to the dust and debris at ground zero not only during the collapse..but during the recovery and clean up process that are sick today.

Status
Not open for further replies.