NYSP Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

lafd55

I am looking for the type of antenna that Troop T(Thruway) has on their cars. I am not talking about the ASPR7495 but the longer antenna that is found only with Troop T...

Francosis

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
NYSP Troop T Antenna

Which one?

Attachments

• nysp troop t.jpg
    nysp troop t.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 6,925

FIRECOM31

Premium Subscriber
T-troop antenna

The antenna on the trunk is for the MDT Computer. On the roof you'll normally have a UHF 5db gain antenna (for T-troop) and a 1/4 wave high band antenna so the T-way cars can talk on the regular NYSP channels and monitor activates. I've also seen some cars that have a CB radio in them and some that had the set up for the Lo-jack system. Hope this helps . Have a good day

lafd55

trooptcar.jpg

First one on the left... Kinda looks like an ASP76551...

garys

Premium Subscriber
That's gotta be an older picture.

No doubt, but if you look at the newer picture, you'll see two very similar, if not identical antennas in the same locations on the roof.

From looking at the older picture, I'd guess that the one on the left is the UHF for the turnpike UHF system and the one on the right is for talking to off road units on the VHF system the rest of the state uses.

The one on the left certainly looks like every A/S UHF antenna I've ever seen.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I believe the trunk antenna is for their AVL computer

That's a combination GPS/800 (maybe cellular) antenna, so you're probably right. It's possible, maybe even likely, that the AVL is built into the mobile computer as opposed to a separate system.

Francosis

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Nysp troop t antennas

Here is a better angle shot of the first cruiser, I hope this helps.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 5,870

MB

Feed Provider
funny they call their computer an AVL. I wonder how that name stuck

They don't call their computer an AVL!

AVL (Automatic Vehicle Locator) is an application that runs on their TraCS computer. AVL uses GPS and the Verizon wireless network and was installed in the last year or so. They make good use of the AVL's message function which cuts down considerably on radio traffic.

Spec

Here is a better angle shot of the first cruiser, I hope this helps.

for lafd55: This a "T" troop car,

On the roof : UHF - T-way comms., VHF Hi band - 150 comms, 4 VHF Hi LoJacks - LoJack, Trunk -MDB / AVL

Last edited:

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
No doubt, but if you look at the newer picture, you'll see two very similar, if not identical antennas in the same locations on the roof.

From looking at the older picture, I'd guess that the one on the left is the UHF for the turnpike UHF system and the one on the right is for talking to off road units on the VHF system the rest of the state uses.

The one on the left certainly looks like every A/S UHF antenna I've ever seen.

They both look like A/S antennas, the VHF is their quarter wave version. Nice thing about the quarter wave version, the black piece the coil covers from low band up to 1200 mhz I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.