FDNY Radios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sepura

Premium Subscriber
With FDNY moving to a UHF radio system, what will they do with the hundreds of VHF radios they have now? Also, when is the move over date to deactivate the old radio system?

Thanks

Cskib32087

With FDNY moving to a UHF radio system, what will they do with the hundreds of VHF radios they have now? Also, when is the move over date to deactivate the old radio system?

Thanks

Well since the VHF radios they have can't do narrow band im thinking they will toss them in the dump.
Im told total UHF wont be for 12-18 months. They have been UHF on fireground for years so no real rush

sepura

Premium Subscriber
I've heard that the new apparatus is getting the new UHF radios only. Is this correct? Also, does anyone know what type of radios they're using? Will they go Vertex Standard (the same route as PD)?

Thanks.

KWs

Premium Subscriber
Wonder if the new rear facing BLUE LED warning lights on the new apparatus comes with the new UHF radios .. LOL. FDNY and blue lights, who would have ever saw that coming ...

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
All new rigs are coming with UHF radios. Don't expect to see them pull VHF until the last moment, all the support vehicles are VHF and that's a lot of radios to change.

As far as vertex, don't see this happening. Ems and some chiefs just went to the 5000, and with all our radio problems think new portables will take some time.

Alarms50

Wonder if the new rear facing BLUE LED warning lights on the new apparatus comes with the new UHF radios .. LOL. FDNY and blue lights, who would have ever saw that coming ...

I had to do a double take yesterday when I saw TL13 responding on Park Ave. with the rear blue lights.

scannersnstuff

not trying to go off the radio subject. just a quick note: blue lens have been proven to be more effective then red lens. supposedly less light is lost. amber is also more effective. you see a lot of fire apparatus with amber lens. i also think fusia look's pretty sharp. especially with ice blue.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
What radio problems, FDNY and NYPD have what I consider the best radios systems I have ever heard. Simple but work great. Stay away from digital, simplex for fire ground is best, just I don't agree with leaving the radios carrier squelch receive, too much RF noise in the enviroment,

hockeyshrink

What radio problems, FDNY and NYPD have what I consider the best radios systems I have ever heard. Simple but work great. Stay away from digital, simplex for fire ground is best, just I don't agree with leaving the radios carrier squelch receive, too much RF noise in the enviroment,

Very cool observation, radioman...a friend from long ago became the Director of Public Safety in a rural VA county. He sunk tons of money into a countywide digital system - that did not work. He lost his job over it.

I did not know and can't believe they use CSQ, though. I have to go decode on my amateur 440 and GMRS gear when I venture into the city because of off the intermod and noise.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Very cool observation, radioman...a friend from long ago became the Director of Public Safety in a rural VA county. He sunk tons of money into a countywide digital system - that did not work. He lost his job over it.

I did not know and can't believe they use CSQ, though. I have to go decode on my amateur 440 and GMRS gear when I venture into the city because of off the intermod and noise.

Thats because amateur equipment is horrible with intermod. The front ends are so loose that they will pick up any garbage.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Thats because amateur equipment is horrible with intermod. The front ends are so loose that they will pick up any garbage.

FFPM571 is right...When I go down to the city and I want to bring a radio with me to use on one of the 440 freqs down there I bring my HT1000, I don't like using coded squelch on rx on ham freqs, and I have never had a intermod problem with my Motorola with using csq..

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
I understand their reasoning for it, I just don't agree with it. The way it was explained to me by both a BC and the radio shop when I called them, is they would rather know about and put up with the background noise when operating as opposed to it being there and not knowing about it,(with PL) and then having it possibly interfere with a transmission. Personally if there is constant noise on a channel that channel is no good for use, and would change to another frequency if available. Knowing about it and doing something proactive about it is another.
BTW my agency also runs carrier squelch on out RTC channels but PL on maintainence. We are constantly out chasing interference complaints. Recently we found a DBS satellite RX antenna was putting out a constant noise on 161.280.

hockeyshrink

FFPM571 is right...When I go down to the city and I want to bring a radio with me to use on one of the 440 freqs down there I bring my HT1000, I don't like using coded squelch on rx on ham freqs, and I have never had a intermod problem with my Motorola with using csq..

roger roger. I have HT1000s set up for GMRS and some 440 freqs, but usually go downtown with Yaesu. I only have one NYC 440 machine programmed, and that one is down most of the time. I should prob program more NYC repeaters in the Moto & leave the Yaesu at home.

Good call..thanks!! :)

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
As far as radio problems, its not the system but the xts3500
Lots of battery issues and static from anything that comes near the radio.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
roger roger. I have HT1000s set up for GMRS and some 440 freqs, but usually go downtown with Yaesu. I only have one NYC 440 machine programmed, and that one is down most of the time. I should prob program more NYC repeaters in the Moto & leave the Yaesu at home.

Good call..thanks!! :)

LOL I know which repeater you're talking about, they call it a "lid" filter. It's a shame its such a nice system but you end up getting some fools out there that like to jam it.

vfn137

Premium Subscriber
FDNY Radios

While at the Harrisburg Expo the other week, I notice the new Res1cue and another Ladder had XTL's in them.

Alarms50

Here are some pictures I took of the new FDNY Ferrara Rescue 5. The top two pictures are of the front cab, there is a Uniden BCD996XT Scanner above the Officer's front visor to the right of the two XTL's. The bottom three pictures are of the front of the rear box.

Attachments

• IMG_1376_1.JPG
    IMG_1376_1.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 6,253
  • IMG_1377_1.JPG
    IMG_1377_1.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 4,257
  • IMG_1385_1.JPG
    IMG_1385_1.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 3,157
  • IMG_1386_1.JPG
    IMG_1386_1.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 2,942
  • IMG_1387_1.JPG
    IMG_1387_1.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 4,598

JBuff27

Very Interesting, They are putting scanners in the Rigs. Now what happeneds when they go encripted?

Status
Not open for further replies.