Frequency Tips for a Newbie NYC Ham Operator

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD2ALG

Hello all,

I just received my amateur radio license last week, and got my first transceiver in the mail a couple of days ago (a Wouxun dual-band 2m/70cm HT).

I've found some interesting frequencies to listen in on at the radioreference database here (Police, Media, etc), but I've had a hard time finding good amateur frequencies on which to talk to other hams. Does anyone have any recommendations? I live in the Bronx (Riverdale), and spend a lot of time in Uptown and Midtown Manhattan.

I've heard that HTs are best for hitting repeaters due to their low power output, and have been looking through repeaterbook.com and nyrepeaters.com. I've managed to pick up some transmissions from other hams on a couple of Bronx repeater frequencies I found, but haven't been able to make contact with any of them (in spite of programming in the offset and CTCSS codes). I'm guessing its because I lack the TX power.

Any recommendations for frequencies to program into my radio memory, or how to solve my "unable to make contact" problem, would be much appreciated!

KD2ALG

Here are some popular repeaters in the NYC area:

449.225 - CTCSS 82.5 - Empire State Building
147.36 - CTCSS 107.2 - GE Building
447.825 - CTCSS 107.2 - GE Building
444.050 - CTCSS 114.8 - Mount Siani Hospital

Usage of ham radio repeaters is way down in the past few years, so don't be surprised if you hear very little activity, even on the most popular repeaters. Also, at certain times cliques use repeaters and may just not want to acknowledge a stranger's call sign.

Last edited:

bezking

See if you can hit the LIMARC repeater @ 146.85 -shift PL 136.5 (TX PL only), otherwise you can try the WB2HWW machine @ 440.7 +shift PL 114.8. I usually sit on the LIMARC repeater and if I hear you I'll certainly come back, the guys on that machine are all nice and friendly.

Heh... I see we are finally up to KD2 calls... :cool:

Last edited:

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I think Steve Mendelsohn's machine is still there. 147.195 PL 136.5. Metroplex as well 145.45, PL 100

hockeyshrink

Here are some popular repeaters in the NYC area:

449.225 - CTCSS 82.5 - Empire State Building
147.36 - CTCSS 107.2 - GE Building
447.825 - CTCSS 107.2 - GE Building
444.050 - CTCSS 114.8 - Mount Siani Hospital

Usage of ham radio repeaters is way down in the past few years, so don't be surprised if you hear very little activity, even on the most popular repeaters. Also, at certain times cliques use repeaters and may just not want to acknowledge a stranger's call sign.

Don't count on the 449.225 (KQ2H) machine...the receiver on the ESB is often turned off. You can still hear what's going on in the Catskills or in FL when 10m is open, but unless you can reach one of the other receivers upstate, it will be tough to get in.

Check out the Westchester Emergency Communications Assn (WECA) machine on 147.06+ (PL 114.8). It has multiple receive sites and the transmitter at the Grasslands complex in Valhalla has an awesome footprint. Feel free to check into the Southern District Net every night at 9:30...it's the local ARRL National Traffic System net. No experience necessary, just show up & check in.

Also try working the 2m simplex calling frequency 146.520 (simplex, so no shift & no PL). It is fairly active.

Last edited:

hockeyshrink

Why is the 449.225 ESB receiver off? I'd heard that K2MAK turned his ESB repeater off, but did not hear anything about KQ2H ESB being down.

Hi, the latest info I have for K2MAK is that it is 443.275+ (PL 88.5), and I believe KQ2H is the 449.225 machine mentioned previously. I just tried K2MAK and that freq & PL did not work for me.

"Ally," the owner of KQ2H, shuts down the NYC receiver when the natives get restless and prefer to jam folks with various bodily function noises than have adult conversations. I actually heard "jammers" coordinating on another machine about shutting down someone on KQ2H; I could hear KQ2H in the background when they were on the other machine. When KQ2H is down, the riff-raff tends to migrate to other machines to burp and such. It really is a shame because the KQ2H+W2FLA system is quite cool.

fineshot1

Hello all,

I just received my amateur radio license last week, and got my first transceiver in the mail a couple of days ago (a Wouxun dual-band 2m/70cm HT).

I've found some interesting frequencies to listen in on at the radioreference database here (Police, Media, etc), but I've had a hard time finding good amateur frequencies on which to talk to other hams. Does anyone have any recommendations? I live in the Bronx (Riverdale), and spend a lot of time in Uptown and Midtown Manhattan.

I've heard that HTs are best for hitting repeaters due to their low power output, and have been looking through repeaterbook.com and nyrepeaters.com. I've managed to pick up some transmissions from other hams on a couple of Bronx repeater frequencies I found, but haven't been able to make contact with any of them (in spite of programming in the offset and CTCSS codes). I'm guessing its because I lack the TX power.

Any recommendations for frequencies to program into my radio memory, or how to solve my "unable to make contact" problem, would be much appreciated!

KD2ALG

Here are most of the ham repeater coordinating orgs for ny state.
For the nyc area you would be interested in the metrocor web site.

UNYREPCO

MetroCor.us

New York Repeater Directory

VIRCC REPEATER LISTING

WNYSORC - Home Page

namhcor

Hi, the latest info I have for K2MAK is that it is 443.275+ (PL 88.5), and I believe KQ2H is the 449.225 machine mentioned previously. I just tried K2MAK and that freq & PL did not work for me.

"Ally," the owner of KQ2H, shuts down the NYC receiver when the natives get restless and prefer to jam folks with various bodily function noises than have adult conversations. I actually heard "jammers" coordinating on another machine about shutting down someone on KQ2H; I could hear KQ2H in the background when they were on the other machine. When KQ2H is down, the riff-raff tends to migrate to other machines to burp and such. It really is a shame because the KQ2H+W2FLA system is quite cool.

Alex KQ2H is the repeater owner. Allie KB2CXJ is an upstate regular and maybe a control operator. I am curious about the jammers you heard. What machine did you hear the jammers coordinating on and did you get any callsigns?

hockeyshrink

Alex KQ2H is the repeater owner. Allie KB2CXJ is an upstate regular and maybe a control operator. I am curious about the jammers you heard. What machine did you hear the jammers coordinating on and did you get any callsigns?

Thanks for clearing that up...I don't listen to KQ2H often enough to know all the players. The guys I heard were coordinating their KQ2H jamming on the WECA machine. They were specifically targeting a guy they called "Tommy Tubes" who was trying to talk to someone on KQ2H. I did get call signs; I am not going to publish them. :cool:

namhcor

Very well. By the way the K2MAK repeater on 448.275 has been shut down since March. The very unconventional regular crew from there have been using the KB2HRA repeater on 449.925.

W2NJS

All this jamming silliness makes me glad I left NYC thirty four years ago. We had about four decent Mahnattan repeaters at the time and no one tolerated that kind of crap back then...but again, that was then and this is now, for better or worse.

namhcor

Jamming started getting worse after the no-code hams got into the hobby from CB radio back in the early 90's.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
All this jamming silliness makes me glad I left NYC thirty four years ago. We had about four decent Mahnattan repeaters at the time and no one tolerated that kind of crap back then...but again, that was then and this is now, for better or worse.

I'm sure you remember the cab drivers on MAARC...

WB2HWW System users are very CB like! Bunch of 11 meter bullies currently operate there, That never transformed!
Ham Radio is going down the drain. I hope the govt does take away the 440mhz band!

W2NJS

Getting back to the OP's question, you may wish to get hold of the ARRL Repeater Directory which has most of the repeaters in the US and some other areas listed by band, including P25 and D-Star machines. A lot of repeater goes out of date pretty fast but there is still a core of information which does not because the repeaters have been in operation for many years and continue to operate.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
If you can swing a 220 radio Alex has a 220 machine on the ESB as well thats linked into the 440 side.

Yes I do. Who can't forget the antics of Ira N2NMA and his crew!

As a side note, I hear that the K2MAK repeater is being changed over to MotoTRBO.

Just another place for the jerks to hind! I listen sometimes to those self centered group of guys on HWW and they make me sick! Bunch of unfriendly clickish indivduals.. Always braggin and putting down people on a regular basis.

namhcor

Agreed on your accessment. They are nothing more than CB'er types who were lucky enough to pass their ham radio written exam.

Status
Not open for further replies.