Scanner Laws in NY State

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Hi. I am travelling thru your fine state tomorrow (Sunday).
I have seen that only people with licences (like hams) are allowed to have scanners in their cars.
Does this mean that I cannot bring y scanner into the state with me? Lets say I get pulled over for going 65 in a 55 zone (dont laugh, your state troopers like to raise revenues) and he sees my scanner, not plugged in but in a travel bag or something. Can he then say I was breaking the scanner law and either lose it or pay a different fine?

I dont expect to be pulled over and I will be a good bOy driving on the 190 Towanwanda State trooper's, lol.

jaymatt1978

I was in the backseat when my aunt, my mom and I got pulled over by SP in Warren County, he asked me what I had, I said ham radio. It really was a 396T............he let us go! NOTE: I HAVE MY HAM RADIO LICENSE!

Been going up with a portable scanner for years without a problem andx have had my ham license since 2000. Glad I got it

mike4164

Premium Subscriber
EJB, In NYS in order to search a travel bag or any other bag the trooper or officer needs reasonable cause and speeding is not reasonable cause enough to search bags. If the radio is in a bag in the trunk then dont worry, unless you are doing something illegal.

Mike
Retired FDNY/EMS
Haz-Tac

RF-Burns

I have had a scanner my car since the age of 16. I have been pulled over many times and never has an officer ever asked me about my radios. I have been a ham since the age of 19 so I went 3 years without a license and didn't have any problems. Even since I got my license (I'm 29 now) I have been pulled over and never has a cop ever asked about my radios. I think you will be fine. When on the free part of 90 going through Buffalo it is 55Mph, don't go faster than 60 and you will be fine.

bezking

Please note the sticky thread linked above, and it's generally bad to ask for legal advice on a web forum :)

Status
Not open for further replies.