Post-Irene NYS Checkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

bezking

I just wanted to make sure all of our NYS members made it through Irene's devastation OK. Check in and if you'd like, give a condition report for your area.

In Central Eastern Nassau, we lost power for four days due to downed trees, but fortunately our property was otherwise untouched.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Had to do standby at work until Monday, have a few trees that need to be taken down since now they are leaning towards the house, had no water in basement, lost 1 car windshield to tree, no power from 8am Sunday until 3pm Monday. Overall not too bad, but a friend who has his boat moored on the Hudson river found it 2 miles upstream, with minor damage, and along with the dock they were tied to. He was lucky, there were about 20 others with various damage from minor to sunk.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I just wanted to make sure all of our NYS members made it through Irene's devastation OK. Check in and if you'd like, give a condition report for your area.

In Central Eastern Nassau, we lost power for four days due to downed trees, but fortunately our property was otherwise untouched.

Fulton County came through pretty well, but all around us is a lot of devastation along the major rivers and streams.

Sunday evening, we rescued three people off the rain swollen Sacandaga River. They decided to go out in canoes and kayaks without PFD's. They are incredibly lucky to even be alive. But they put a lot of responders in harm's way for no good reason.

scannerman5555

Silent Key
In south west Suffolk County north of southern state parkway{ Islip town ; S.E.Brentwood area}, some homes lost power due to downed trees & gas leaks etc .... , but fortunately our property was some trees downed not to bad ! Were I am we had power the hole time just power surges we are very lucky this area thank you LIPA ! good job ! Suffolk av area in Brentwood !

Last edited:

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
Worked 15 hours storm coverage on Sat and 25 hrs [12am to 1am] Sunday. No problems at the house 'cause I bought a generator at Lowe's at 5am the Friday before. I returned it Monday unused!

D

DaveNF2G

No problems in my part of Waterford, although a State of Emergency was declared for the village for a few days.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Dutchess County was hit in some parts but not as bad as Green County..We ended up with 27-30 inches of water in our basement and my area of the City of Poughkeepsie was flooded pretty good but other then that we are okay.

k2ns

Irene

No big problems here in Putnam County other than trees down, flooding, and some power outages. My power flickered a few times but never went out. My backyard had 3 feet of water, but my house sits about 8 feet above the backyard. My biggest problem was me--I slipped in the grass Saturday night, fell down quite hard with my leg twisted, and probably tore the cartilage in my right knee for the third time in 23 years. I'm going for an MRI this afternoon. Quite hard to walk right now !!!

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Picked the right time to go on vacation...drove down to North Carolina (Winston Salem) Saturday and returning tomorrow. Glad my home of Putnam County fared well, though my heart goes out to those upstate and in Vermont.

LathamScan

Premium Subscriber
No damage at the house in Latham except for a little bit of water in the basement (nothing more than normal). I cant say that for others in the Colonie area where there was a lot of flooded basements, closed streets and trees down. It took about 4 days for everything to slow down to 'normal'.

An interesting note - while out at dinner Thursday night I got a CC hit on 464.500 CTCSS 136.5 - it was a group of Consumer Energy trucks parking in the next lot over from the restaurant. The trucks had Michigan plates on them.

Kevin

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I saw quite a few utility trucks travelling northbound in I-81 last Saturday, as well as tree trimming buckets.

bezking

Glad to see everyone is OK. We got our power back on Thursday like I said but there are still ~25k people on the Island in the dark. Gov. Cuomo read National Grid the riot act, let's see if that does anything to speed up the process... It's pretty cool to see all of the out-of-state crews, my home's power was restored by a team from Indiana.

Stay safe out there, especially the first responders on the board. Thanks for putting yourselves in harm's way to keep the public safe, it's a shame there are so many folks out there who think it's OK to take such risks as canoeing without a PFD after a hurricane...

wkredick

I live in the Village of Waterford.We took many photos and they were presented to FEMA for consideration of status to provide assistance.We have been so busy down here we have not had time to go check on other hard hit areas. A few of our FD members are Army Guard and Reserves so they have been everywhere from Long Island to Greene to Schoharie counties on deployments. We had up to 38" of flood water into homes down near the Mohawk/Hudson rivers areas. Mutual Aid and assistance from 18 different Fire agencies with around 170 fire fighters doing basement and home pump outs and others clearing debris from roads,alleys and common areas.
Been through 3 floods here and this was the worst I have seen since 1996.Alot of homeowners and tenants were not expecting such high levels of flood waters.
FEMA showed up yesterday and the area now has FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers in the Region.
I rent and am ready to beotch slap my absentee landlord as he has not arranged any Mold prevention or mitigation but somehow managed to slip in a long wanted and desired illegal driveway in on the heaviest day of traffic and recovery efforts here.But I took photos of the guy on tractor and called the Mayor and PD to let them know.

c0untyb0y

where my house is at we must have been on the very western fringe of the storm. Whitesboro, Utica, Willowvalle, Sauquoit and vicinity had flooding issues here in Oneida County. I wasn't here though; deployed with the county and a water rescue team (comprised from Oriskany, Taberg, and Sylvan Beach FDs), originally to Long Island but were diverted on the Thruway before Albany, to Schoharie County. I wished I had better preplanned a bit more with my PSR 600 scanner I took along for the ride. used a mag mount antenna on our fire dept's squad truck and put the scanner in the middle front seat. the antenna survived the wind and rain from the storm! I only put in counties along I-87 south from Albany plus NYC & LI counties. so I ended up using the search function to get some communications in Schoharie, even though the county did issue our team two portable fire radios.

it seemed to work out very well doing mutual aid communications by just giving out each other's portable radios. Monday afternoon state fire reassigned our team, Cattaraugus Co's and Steuben Co's water teams to Colonie at the state USAR bldg. Bath from Steuben was kind enough to lend us and Catt Co a portable radio to keep each other in touch during the convoy. Who needs NIMS channels!

Status
Not open for further replies.